Votes: 1 6.3%
  • couldn't handle the pressure so I dropped out

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I studied before taking the course so I had no problem

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

tsaponaro81

Forum Probie
Hi my name is Theresa. I am 30yrs old (living in Brooklyn, N.Y.) I just registered to begin EMT classes in the fall semester. I don't know what to expect exactly. I've been trying to read up as much as I can but I feel lost bc i don't know if there's something specific that I should familiarize myself with prior to staying the class. Any tips and info would be greatly appreciated. Also, I was wondering if anyone knows, will my age play a factor in making it more difficult for me to obtain a job, provided I pass the class? Again, I'm 30....31 by the time the class is over.
Any feedback/advice/tips would help me greatly.

Thank you so much for your time everyone :)

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Pre-read your book and make sure you read the chapters before you talk about them in class.

OP
OP
tsaponaro81

tsaponaro81

Forum Probie
Thank you for the quick response, I appreciate that.
Sadly I won't get my book till the first day of class. I have looked up the book online and read whatever they allowed to preview. I have also printed an entire ,,600+ page thing that pretty much goes into detail on specific topics. I was able to find out what each chapter if the book will cover and been trying to read up on that as much as I can.
I have a bachelor's degree with a good gpa...so obviously I've never had any issues with schooling, but is completely different. I am more nervous than ever

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
If you were able to earn a bachelor's in any field, your class should be a cake walk unless you have some really specific learning style or terrible instructors.
Just relax, pay attention, and try not to overthink things.
And no, your age won't be a problem. A couple guys in my class were in their early 40s and actually got hired by local fire departments rather quickly.

cmyk

Forum Probie
It was a lot easier than I thought it'd be. I didn't pre-read the book but I did skim through the chapters the day before we went over them in class. There were a number of people in my class who dropped out or failed, but that was because they didn't keep up with the readings and didn't ask for help when they didn't understand the material.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
I didn't study or really do anything for my EMT class, but did very well on the testing and all that. It either came easy to me or it was just the amount of info you needed to know was not that difficult. With that being said, I do study different things now to further my knowledge and brush up on somethings, so I am not just an EMT with the minimal amount of knowledge. As it has been said, if you graduated college this will be very easy for you. Sometimes it may be hard to remember all the hands on stuff right away, but thats why they go over it a ton until you get the hang of it.

You're nervous because it is a new adventure. They nervousness will go away after your first class. Hopefully you have good instructors.

OP
OP
tsaponaro81

tsaponaro81

Forum Probie
Thank you to all that took your time to respond. I have a BA in psychology gpa was good considering that I went full time, at night, while working full time during the day...all while having a son to take care of.
The feedback that I got from you guys helped calm me down quite a bit. I'll just look at the list of what each chapter entails and read various things that will give me some kind of basic knowledge before going into the class. I feel like if I go in there blindly, I'll set myself up for failure.
From what I hear the instructor for this class is one of the best in Staten Island, N.Y. hopefully they're right.
Thanks again everyone for putting my mind at ease regarding my concerns.
I'm sure I'll be back here often as the class progresses. I very much appreciate everyone's time! :-*

Drax

Forum Captain
Thank you to all that took your time to respond. I have a BA in psychology gpa was good considering that I went full time, at night, while working full time during the day...all while having a son to take care of.
The feedback that I got from you guys helped calm me down quite a bit. I'll just look at the list of what each chapter entails and read various things that will give me some kind of basic knowledge before going into the class. I feel like if I go in there blindly, I'll set myself up for failure.
From what I hear the instructor for this class is one of the best in Staten Island, N.Y. hopefully they're right.
Thanks again everyone for putting my mind at ease regarding my concerns.
I'm sure I'll be back here often as the class progresses. I very much appreciate everyone's time! :-*

Don't stress it, just dedicate yourself to doing out of class studying and practicing. You are plenty young enough, so no need to bring up your age again.

OP
OP
tsaponaro81

tsaponaro81

Forum Probie
Don't stress it, just dedicate yourself to doing out of class studying and practicing. You are plenty young enough, so no need to bring up your age again.

Most definitely on the dedicating myself to plenty of out of class studying. As I've stated earlier, I am even trying to do as much reading online as I can so I have at least some basics down. The stress of thinking ab all this stuff has kind of made me pull away from the motivation I've had to do all this pre-studying, but I'm good now.
The only reason I bring up the age thing is because I automatically assume that most ppl taking a class for this is either straight out of high school or college. So that was a huge issue for me when contemplating whether or not i should pursue this. After hearing what everyone here had to say ab ppl older than me even, I'm not at all concerned anymore ab this being an issue.

EMTChickADee

Forum Ride Along
My EMT class was the funnest class I've taken so far. Give yourself plenty of time to study and focus on it. There was a 50 some year old in mine and he did just fine.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
I was 28 when I did EMT and 30 when I did paramedic. Don't sweat it. Study hard: always do every assigned reading, even if that means you lose some sleep. You'd be surprised how many people don't do the basic assignments and get kicked out 3/4ths of the way through.

Any extra resource the instructors say you should buy: buy it.

They'll tell you what you need to do to pass, and as long as you listen and follow instructions, you'll be fine.