Need a little of advice

paemt104433

Forum Ride Along
I have been in the feild for a little over 6 years. Ever since then i have NEVER been worried about getting sued for anything. I always performed to the most extent of patient care and i still do. I not sure what brought it on but recently im always worried about getting slapped with a intent to sue letter. Like i said i still provide the best care i can and sometimes you can only do so much. Any advice??

shiroun

Forum Lieutenant
I have been in the feild for a little over 6 years. Ever since then i have NEVER been worried about getting sued for anything. I always performed to the most extent of patient care and i still do. I not sure what brought it on but recently im always worried about getting slapped with a intent to sue letter. Like i said i still provide the best care i can and sometimes you can only do so much. Any advice??

Don't do anything you aren't qualified to do, and talk with medcom for anything you need to.

I've heard of some busses having video cameras that record the back of the bus, either 24/7 or when turned on. If you're really worried, consider getting those installed (talk to your chief/director).

Otherwise, no reason to worry.

OP
OP
P

paemt104433

Forum Ride Along
Pretty much what I'm saying is that sometimes I feel like I did something wrong or whatever. I'm not like throwing lines in anyone or anything

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
The number of EMS providers that actually get sued is very small.

Why do you think malpractice insurance for paramedics is so cheap.

As long as you are acting within your scope with the patient's best interests in mind you're fine.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
As everyone else said act within your scope and in the patients best interests and make sure you document. In EMS one of the "rules" is if it's not documented then it didn't happen.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Getting sued isn't something you need to be so preoccupied with. However, you might want to purchase professional liability insurance. You can do that through the NAEMT for around $200 per year.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
great advice I was once given.

"Make every patient your friend. You would never sue your friend. You would gladly sue your enemy."

BUt I wouldn't be overly worried about it as a basic.

Lawyers like deep pockets, and what do you have or make a year to make it worth their while?

Suing somebody for a million dollars who will never have it in their life is a rather hollow victory.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Don't wreck your ambulance.

Don't encourage refusals.

Your pretty safe beyond that.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't wreck your ambulance.

Don't encourage refusals.

Your pretty safe beyond that.

"It's no trouble for us to take you to the hospital, we don't tell people not to go, if you feel like staying home than the decision is yours. Just sign here."

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Do you worry about lightning striking you dead?

How about getting killed by a shark (world wide about 6 deaths per year)?

(There are many more sharks in the water than lawyers chasing ambulances!)

Maybe getting killed by a coconut falling on your head (about 51 deaths/yr.)

Get the point?

A bigger point is you have a lot of control in the equation. Keep it clean and competent and don't try to be perfect, just be sure to be responsive to your patients and put them first without jeopardizing yourself or others.

Last edited by a moderator: