National Ambulance UAE

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
What if it's like the best job ever. And everyone is saying these things to keep newbs out because they don't want to share the gloriousness.

Lol.

I never heard back by the way, and am still with my old employer.

mmmedic

Forum Ride Along
What if it's like the best job ever. And everyone is saying these things to keep newbs out because they don't want to share the gloriousness.

Lol.

I never heard back by the way, and am still with my old employer.

The company would have you believe its the best job ever. The kiss-asses from LAS would tell you the job is everything and quite a bit more. The unqualified girl on HEMS who can't tube unless the tube is attached to our illustrious leader RB. The supervisors who have never been paramedics or even able to pass the HAAD exam but now manage paramedics. I'd take it as a blessing and the stars have aligned for you. You sir, have dodged a bullet of epic proportions. You'd be safer working in a pit of vipers, barefoot and blind folded. People are telling you this because you are a paramedic - part of a world wide family. Unlike NA, who would douse you in gasoline & threaten you with a match - we are warning you out of concern. Take the hint & count your blessings.

Proteamedic

Forum Ride Along
well said Mr mmmedic! This thread has gone quiet but I have heard there has been some more poor buggers with sore arses gone from NA. Good people at that.

criticalcaremedic

Forum Ride Along
It sounds like things have not improved over there…

The organization appears to keep making excuses not to go after North American paramedics and advanced practice personnel, instead hiring even more personnel who would be intermediate level EMT’s in North America (at best), putting them in a uniform with “Paramedic” on the front and sending them out; even though they have little to no training in paramedic level skills, knowledge, or judgement. It is simply hilarious that the organization ignores its highly qualified Medical Director and its own policies about fitness to practice and competencies. While the recruiters, the HR Director, and Operations types fill the organization up with poorly qualified personnel who couldn’t pass the regulatory body testing (NREMT standard) on their best day! Talk about the emperor has no clothes! It is like the HR department can’t figure out that “paramedic” on someone’s degree does not mean NREMT Paramedic, CCT, FPC, RAT, PJ, Australian ICP, Australian MICA, Canadian ACP, Canadian CCT, or South African ECP! Come on, it’s really not that hard, they have to be doing this on purpose!

It is so pathetic that they have to put these people through an eight hour course, just to explain to them how to use ketamine, adenosine, and midazolam! Seriously! Let alone most of them can’t intubate and actually think that “there is no airway that can’t be managed with the basics and a BVM”, what reality did these people come from?

The Medical Director is still trying to improve the healthcare system and the Deputy CEO seems to want that also, but they are being foiled by their middle management, who completely disrespect them anytime they are out of ear shot and disregard their wishes.

The really tragic part is the actions of a few are adversely affecting the health and welfare of millions of people in the UAE.

They just lost one of the really good Irish educators; there is no way the other one will stay!

Since the last post, they have let the former RAT guy out a few times, but he is required to be so nice to everyone, it’s a joke. God forbid one of the guys who founded advanced practice actually assesses anyone! The Philippine staff and local Physicians say nice things about him; yet some operations management and many of the European paramedics really seem to dislike him. The HEMS director seems to really have it out for this guy; he apparently makes complaints about him frequently and many claim he has said some really insulting things about him.

There is no reason he should say around and tolerate this behavior, but when asked, he still says he came to work for this Medical Director and still believes in his vision, but come on, this guy should be advising the CEO, not being hidden in a corner! BTW, the Medical Director’s advanced practice guy is named Mike Christie; I am sure some of you know who he is and what he has done, for Pete’s sake the guy has an EMS medal of valor and dozens of awards from around the US and other countries. It really is sad that his career is ending in this place – stuck in a corner being a glorified clerk. This is a guy who used to lead and innovate; now he types – wow.

Even better, the HEMS management just did a hiring process to replace the two guys on their helicopter that had completed some kind of training process with Christie and then left for greener pastures! It won’t surprise you to know operations didn’t speak to the Medical Director or Christie at any point during the hiring process! The last person they hired without talking to Clinical Services is still trying to get through entry level paramedic competency evaluations! The HEMS Director is really a piece of work! Apparently from LAS, he has never been in aeromedicine, advanced practice, or special operations and he is the Director!

They keep saying they want an EMS system that mimics the results of the Seattle/King county and the rest of the NW USA, but they are doing nothing to make that a reality. Plus, the middle management seems to rule with fear, intimidation, and bullying; and it is hysterical to hear these management types talking about medicine! Most of them are from EMS systems that have really poor survival rates and nobody can be taken seriously who thinks London EMS is a world leader.

Even if you are desperate, you might want to take a pass on this place; and if you really want to move forward, at least check the place out in a real way and ask tough questions, you will come to the right conclusion – I did!

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Cannot PM you but do you mean Mike Christie from a company called ATREC from many moons ago?

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I think it's one or two disgruntled guys posting all this negativity under different names. All of the posters who are hell bent on bashing folks and name dropping only have 2-3-4 or so posts. Then they're gone. They never return or explain... they just talk a bunch of smack and disappear. There is no analysis - just jaw boning. Really credible... not.

Kind of like AK's signature line- where's the proof?

At first, like I said, it's perspective. Now, I am very skeptical of all of the negative posts. Everyone is a tough guy on the internet.

I still think it's probably the best gig in the world and they just don't want to share.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I have a signature line?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I have a signature line?
Yes, and here's the proof :p
Screenshot_1.png

jaysonsd

Forum Crew Member
NA makes mention of interest in paramedics with a bachelor's degree in Paramedicine. Has anyone moved forward with a Bachelor's degree in a major science or extensive experience?

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
That standard is in regards to degrees in paramedicine. Most other countries outside of the U.S. have degree programs for paramedics, like the UK, Aussies, and Kiwis - pretty much equivalent more or less to an Associate's Degree in the U.S.

It isn't the same thing as you're thinking, such as comparing it to an advanced science like mechanical engineering or biochemistry.

However, they're all well qualified and top notch educations focusing on the core paramedic curriculum based on US standards.... Some a little more, some a little less.

NREMT-P (or now NR-P) trumps all in regards to worldly certifications at face value. The HAAD (Health Authority of Abu Dhabi) standards closely mimic (and in some cases are exactly) NREMT standards. A lot of US medics undervalue their national reg I think, in my experience. It really is of value to not let it lapse.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Oh yeah, also, you can get a Bachelor's in EMS in the U.S... But it won't matter really unless you plan on moving up into management or something more in medicine.... I know Expat has one. He'd be more qualified to speak on that.

I also still see the trash talkers never came back to defend their arguments against NA... Maybe they're too busy looking for a new job instead of working harder at the one they already had ;)

jaysonsd

Forum Crew Member
I keep my NR updated, it is helpful in the US, just doesn't seem to translate well into other countries. Like at all. I'm only a few credits shy of having a AS in paramedicine, but I hesitate the use of time when it may equate to really nothing as I search abroad for my next adventure. I'll toss NA an email, see what happens.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Your AS will go a long way with a lot of places/companies. The more educational background you have the better. I encourage you to complete your AS as soon as you can. The NR-P translates very well into other countries- in fact, you will not likely find any opportunity overseas that does not require it at a minimum.

As for National Ambo, your NR with an AS is one of those places. I highly encourage you to apply - even before you finish your degree (it can be completed abroad online if you only have a few credits left). You will not regret applying, regardless of what some anonymous fools say on here.

Keep learning, keep moving forward, and keep trying. Attitude is everything.

Let me know how it goes bud.

BJs

Forum Ride Along
sandpitmedic, shock and awe indeed....at your relentless pursuit of positive press for NA in the face of all evidence to the contrary.

It beggars belief that you rally to the defence of an organisation that you (presumably) have no connection with, who has also not taken your application for employment further since your initial contact, in a country you are not living in. I also find it personally and professionally insulting that you refer to myself and others as "anonymous fools", particularly when you are the sole entity on this site with a positive view of this company. "we" stuck our necks out to provide this community with an honest view of NA, peoples livelihoods and I dare say personal freedom (those of you who know anything about the real UAE will know what im talking about) is at very real risk posting on this and similar sites. And yes, employees have been questioned and threatened by NA management in attempts to uncover us "anonymous fools".

I (and several of my colleagues) have come to the conclusion you are incapable of learning from others mistakes and/or too egotistical/arrogant to listen to multiple people singing the same tune. you seem reasonably articulate and educated, so I am unconvinced of this. therefore the most likely explanation now is that you are an NA employee attempting to mitigate the damage done by people's honest and heartfelt posts regarding this company.

You are in no position to comment or pass judgment on this company, and most certainly not on any of us "anonymous fools", as you have not worked for them or with us. however I would gladly do everything in my power to guarantee you a position with NA just so I could be there when you finally had to admit everyone else was right.

in response to your post "I also still see the trash talkers never came back to defend their arguments against NA... Maybe they're too busy looking for a new job instead of working harder at the one they already had" have you considered that people have said what they feel they needed to say and don't spend their valuable time trolling forums and offering uneducated opinions on companies they have never been employed by (....oh wait....your an NA manager or toadying employee...... how'd your anti bullying course go....oh, still bullying? oh well at least you tried, next....).

I said what I needed too about them, the only reason for this post is to respond to your ridiculous and insulting commentary. I wish you success in gaining a position with NA, you truly deserve it.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Good morning, I'm excited you returned, and I welcome having a real discussion with you. I will not devolve into a tit-for-tat with you, but I'll just go over some general stuff. So, here's my deal. I call them as I see them. Trolling is exactly what you're doing.

I'd like to preface this (2 post) long winded response with this: any person with common sense should be asking not about NA, but rather about why you are so 'anti-NA' and also why you seem so bent that my opinion differs from yours (yours read: all the naysayers). I'm not a salesman, unlike you - selling your doubt continuously... I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything other than gaining their own experience and then forming their own opinion.

I'm shaking in my boots at your insults, by the way!

Any research into my previous posts over the last two years would indicate that I am not, nor have I ever been associated with any of those people you've named. Also, it would seem to indicate I've had no actual affiliation with National Ambulance prior to maybe a few months ago - which would give me little reason to mount such a "rally [of] defense" for the company.
If I may speak plainly, I'd like to apologize for the offense you've taken. I did not mean to be insulting or ridiculous... Now, when I say anonymous fool, it is quite warranted actually from the context of your and others' previous posts. Let me explain, so that the context is not mistaken.

Anonymous- which you have been and continue to be. You, in particular, have a total of 3 posts on this forum- you have contributed nothing of value to any conversation other than some weak anecdotes and to slight (by name I might add - something of your own you won't reveal) people and the business of the company. You are, in the truest sense of the word, anonymous.

Fool- the part which I presume you take offense... Let's start with the Webster's definition: a person who acts unwisely or imprudently; a silly person.

I would say that it is unwise to publicly bash you employer (or previous employer) by submitting a heavily salted and vivid opinion on the internet in a fashion much like a toddler throwing a tantrum. (Looking back at your 2014 post, you poor baby... you had to ask for a pay slip and O!M!G!... You had a long layover? Makes me want to cry too...not.) (Welcome to working abroad.) It would also, arguably, be unwise to keep reiterating and having an image that says career suicide when it seems that you've brought that upon yourself based on your attitude. Your situational awareness seems to have eluded you (silly, one might say) because you seem to blame everyone and everything else for whatever bad situation you may have been in. To add to that, you allowed yourself to be placed into that situation. It's my understanding that employment is voluntary, so if no one put a gun to your head you could have been on the next flight out back to your home country. I can only assume that if you're so disgruntled that the managers would rather you had left anyways, rather than stew in your own madness, slamming away in hostility on your keyboard. OH, wait... You probably blew all of your (well above EMS average) income on living that "expat lifestyle" you mentioned, so you couldn't afford to leave at will. I'll bet you blame that on the company as well, right? That's none of my business though, but if that was the case don't blame the company for your doings. And if you don't like it, and you're still here, then leave because the only poison is you dwelling instead of progressing. Pretty darn foolish to do all that and stay, huh?

Furthermore, it seems you have had multiple problems with your other previous employer as well...LAS?
Here is some advice for that: If everywhere you go, you have or find problems, you are the problem.

Another thing I noticed is that, again, you have no issue stating names on here (which the moderators should be moderating for personal security) while you never offer who you are or may be. You say that you fear "them" knowing who you are, yet you (collectively) assume they already know who you might me, among your peers, insisting this thread is monitored. That's pretty selfish I'd say. Instead of manning up, you take pot shots in the night. You let your old bosses supposedly guess at who you might be, as you claim, thereby putting your colleagues at risk of being misidentified as disgruntled... Perhaps that same selfish personality trait is part of the reason why you didn't work out so well being part of the team in the first place. And don't worry- I don't care to know who you are, and I'm just pointing out observations I made about you from your posts - not goading you to identify yourself(selves).

You seem to have had a bad experience, I'm not completely discounting that. Maybe you're posting the same bad experiences under different screen names, or (I'll concede it's possible but unlikely) maybe there were a lot of people who had a bad run at it. Sometimes things don't work out, and sometimes people just aren't a good fit. I'm sure maybe at one time or another the place might not have been the best or the most efficient, maybe those things did occur as stated. However, as organizations develop, there are mishaps and there is an element of troubleshooting that comes along with that growth. Maybe at one time it was terrible years ago, I doubt it was so bad based on where it is today, but alas I wasn't there... Today though, the negative things I've read on here- are an absolute farce, completely opposite information than that from a source I trust - myself. I don't know what happened in the past, but I've been here for long enough to have formed my own opinion. I did not find it prudent to speak about that while I am under their employ, but you have left me little option so I'll put my money where my mouth is. And guess what, they let me keep my AHA cards too, who woulda thought?? And the 911/999 service (EPS) is still a 4 on 4 off schedule- your post in particular has a lot of holes. Those CME courses you have to take? Guess what, you have to CMEs anywhere in the world to keep your certifications up, and here you get them for FREE! What is bad about that? Anyways, enough debunking your incorrect "facts."

You have a right to be unhappy, and to your own opinion. You do not have the right to say things that are untrue in public without risk of being corrected. I don't know why you are the one so intent to do the company damage, and you appear to be pissed off at me for contradicting that. In the beginning- I was not vocally stating "the company isn't like that" or "those bad things never happened." All I ever did was say it was a matter of perspective, and perhaps some perspectives were skewed or failed to adapt to the changes that came. I said people should form their own opinions, a stance I still advocate. Only now- several months later - am I saying that what is written on this forum in front of the whole world should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm saying that what is written here is not at all what the people or company is run like now. I read all of that, and went with my gut, and took the offer despite all the negativity- and I've found that National Ambulance is a great place to work.

More to follow...

Last edited:

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Read above before this.

As far as all the people you've named. I've met all of them- each not knowing I was a vocal member of this forum. Each and every time for weeks upon weeks upon weeks I have seen and been met with nothing but the utmost respect and professionalism... (you know, an American... the kind they "avoid hiring"
upload_2015-7-21_7-40-59.png
- By the way there are more than few Americans working here, so I'm not sure where that notion came from either)... And not once have I had any indication of anything nefarious. Unless you think 2 entire floors of staff and numerous field staff a day are walking around, greeting each other, remembering names of the new guys, smiling, appearing legitimately happy, and working diligently as a team is some giant office conspiracy? Everyone seems to be a team player, and top notch. The supervisors seem very fair, involved, and on top of their game. The educators all do very well and have considerable knowledge that they willingly share from around the world, and the work environment is pleasant and professional.

Is it perfect? Is any place?
I don't know of an absolute perfect place, but I do know this place has been great so far - well exceeding what I expected.

I can say they take great care of their employees. They regularly educate and put on refreshers, have hosted 2 dinners at a lavish venue with invites to all employees (including the Philippine/other Arab nationals, some of whom I've befriended, that everyone has said are mistreated- which they are not) and to top it off- the accommodations, benefits, and compensation are well above what I expected. They even offer free Arabic language courses and the Local National employees will personally host you to tour some of the major tourist sites. Everything here meets or exceeds any "Western" or "American" company I've ever worked for - probably because it is a multicultural place taking the best from all the corners of the globe. I'm sure there are problems. I'm not naïve enough to think there are no issues, but by not being part of the solution you only add to the problem. I am also not naïve enough to think that my admittedly short time here grants me the ultimate wisdom about the place, but I openly share my positive experience with everyone and have yet been given the slightest evidence that even hints at what negatives were posted. There is nothing going on here that isn't happening at every other company in the world - problems happen when you work in a foreign environment with nearly 1000 employees. But they do seem to be good at fixing those problems - considering the complete 180 degree experience I'm having. And the several hundred others who have done well for themselves here as well.

Perhaps though, you were jaded, and that influenced your assessment. Perhaps you walked in with a big head and knew everything already, or expected to be catered to with some sort of special treatment. Perhaps you expected it to be just like your home country. I can't say for sure. So this is directed at everyone reading: you should be very open minded and adaptable if you consider working anywhere overseas. Working and living overseas is not for the faint of heart. A lot of people want to do it, but unfortunately only a few are able to be successful at it. It is not for the faint of heart, and you must realize it is not anything like working at home.

As far as the Emiratis go- every single one I've met has been more than welcoming. They are very nice people to everyone and you, Bjs, seem to have forgotten how to act when you are a guest in someone else's homeland. If you had a bad experience, you can't take the actions of a few and attribute that to an entire culture. Overall, they have all been excellent hosts to me and to others that I've witnessed, both at the company and when I am (frequently) out in public. The Emeriti's are very proud of their country and their heritage, and with good cause. Myself, I am very proud of my country and my heritage also. We're all patriots to our country's flag- do you have some sort of problem with that?

The UAE - I don't know what other countries in the Middle East or Southwest Asia you've been to, but the UAE is by far one of the nicest places in all of the world; it's a top tourist destination for crying out loud. The technology, architecture, cultural history, beaches, shopping, entertainment, safety, etc. rival that of any other modern country. You don't know how good you've had it apparently, as opposed to working and living in a true "third" world county. Abu Dhabi is far from the "third world." It's awesome. Of course it isn't home, but it is what you make of it.

Finally, I'm not a mouth piece for the man... I'm just an ordinary guy who isn't burnt out. I have been in paid EMS nearly 8 years, and a young volunteer for years before that as well. I have been in different EMS roles and in a few different environments. I love being a paramedic, I love new challenges, and I love traveling. I'm fully qualified to make the statements I have made, and like you, I am entitled to my own un-burnt and un-salty opinion... I'm not attempting to mitigate anything. I am no one’s mouth piece or spokesperson, but as I stated in the beginning, I call 'em as I see 'em. You've stated a whole bunch of verbal-garbage and I'm simply saying as a known and vocal board member, with first hand present day experience, that most of what you said is indeed bull ****. I don't care if you don't like that, but you aren't going to insinuate that my motives are not my own without me clarifying that bull **** for you either....."Next."

I encourage any and all qualified EMS professionals interested in the company to apply for themselves, and accept an offer if they get one, to form their own conclusions and opinions. I can't say it will be perfect, but you get out of it what you put in, much like anything in the world. If anyone else wants to know more about NA currently, I'm more than willing to help out my worldwide brethren, as they put it earlier. Don't hesitate to contact me.

Read previous post 1st.

jaysonsd

Forum Crew Member
Well at least there's this now.
I am hesitant in plenty of ways and if offered ANYTHING, I would be quite scrupulous in the wording of the contract and probably look to legal counsel for advice. Working for Princess Cruise Lines for three years wasn't worrisome in the least. Working for Rural/Metro in various US cities wasn't either. But a foreign country where I have second hand knowledge about how I could be treated will keep me cautious. Its funny how my girlfriend is excited about working there and I had to explain to her how my profession provides more avenues to get into trouble.

jaysonsd

Forum Crew Member
And thanks to SandpitMedic for keeping things in perspective, I just caught up with everything on this thread. Having worked with a variety of employers, I, inevitably, interact with peers from other employers creating amusing bedfellows for people constantly seeing the greener grass on the other side of the street. Mix in people working at generic ambulance company A and B chewing the fat while pulling a shift at SeaWorld or the SD Zoo only potentiates that experience.

I left PCL a few months back, still a fan of the idea of paramedics on big floating towns full of the elderly. The doctors and, most, of the nurses are fans as well. Long term, hard to sustain, but a fun experience for most upon realizing exactly what you're getting into. My last post on that long thread was just that in addition to take what you hear from someone like me with skepticism or just flat out ask me straight. The guys that flame the fire out here with rhetoric seem to have already been burned to acrisp.

Admittedly, I have been talked out of chasing LAS, but I still want to work toward HCPC recognition and expanding my favorite status: ground pounding street medic.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
And thanks to SandpitMedic for keeping things in perspective.
You're quite welcome.
I left PCL a few months back, still a fan...
I worked for NCL for a contract years ago... It was awesome. Not in a paramedic capacity, but I was on the medical and fire teams.

If you can survive working in that industry for that many years, you'd easily be a good fit in Abu Dhabi. Now is a good time to get in, and I hear there are a lot of opportunities upcoming from a lot of folks here. It's definitely growing rapidly.
The guys that flame the fire out here with rhetoric seem to have already been burned to a crisp.

Hahaha. That's a good one. I'm stealing that for sure.

Admittedly, I have been talked out of chasing LAS, but I still want to work toward HCPC recognition and expanding my favorite status: ground pounding street medic.

Well LAS and HCPC are not required by NA. Don't be swayed from getting in touch with HR, who are all stellar at their work as well in my experience (despite what was said about them by others). They usually get back to you quickly, if you have particular questions about the gig that I can't answer for you.

Drop your app and see what happens - you could certainly end up as a ground pounding medic here to help expand your favorite status. I'd be happy to meet you, brother. Post or PM me and let me know if/when you're coming.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Hey all. Just a quick update.
I've been getting a lot of private messages regarding NA, so I figured I'd update this since it's been a bit. I'm still here, and still really enjoying it. This place is ripe with opportunities and I have been doing quite well, exploring the country, stacking cash, getting in great shape, and even doing my college courses online. My contract is awesome and my team of supervisors and EMTs are great too. I still feel I made the right choice coming here, even though everyone said "tell us that in a couple of months blah blah." I'm having a blast.

Anyways... To the PM guys and other interested parties:
YES, the company is hiring. NO, I am not a recruiter.

For my USA brethren: if you have your NREMT-P/NR-P that you received after going to school in a real classroom (not distance learning or quick medic schools), and 2 years of experience since holding that cert then you are qualified. You do not need a degree.
For other nationalities that do not hold National Registry - I'm not sure, you'll just have to check the website and send an email to check if you meet the minimum requirements. As far as I know, folks with experience and their medic certs/degrees from South Africa, NZ, Australia, and the UK are all qualified. Again, I'm not 100% on that, send an email.

There is a general email that I'll post again to send your resumes to:
Paramedics@nationalambulance.ae
That goes directly to the HR folks who do all the recruiting and vetting of your credentials.

Like I said, it's a great place to come if you are looking for work overseas in my opinion. I can't divulge the pay scale or anything like that, but I can say you'll know once they offer a position and you will have the opportunity to accept or decline well in advance of getting on the plane. I can also say that it is a pretty darn good package though. Good luck guys and gals. I'll post more updates as time goes on.