MyClyns First Response Personal Protection Spray

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Has anyone heard, seen, or used MyClyns First Response Personal Protection Spray?

The site touts that it's the product provides personal protection in the event of potential pathogenic exposure.

Supposedly you spray the stuff on your skin, face, eyes, mouth, nose, ears and in open wounds.

Anyone? This sounds like a gimmick, but if it works, that would be great!

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
Yeap. I read about it in one of thoe EMS magizenes. Not too sure if it works, but that would be really cool!

NJN

The Young One
I was reading their site and it seemed pretty interesting. Looking at some of lab test reports, it looks pretty effective although only one test, it was with Hep. C, was clinical (on people). It is a one time use thing being that your supposed to saturate the area where you suspect these bio buggers are. At $26.95 a pop, plus shipping, it seems a little pricey for one time use, but you also must remember that, if following normal PPE procedures, the use of this product should be pretty rare.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
I have heard about it and will remain skeptical until further studies have been conducted.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I spent some time with one of the sales people at EMSToday. He's someone I've known for a while, and he seems to think the stuff works. (Disclaimer... I'm not entirely impartial here).

My feeling is that I will do everything I can to avoid using it... but it is another neat tool to have. I've got a sample pack... but I'm not eagerly looking for an opportunity to test it.

One of the things I heard from the sales rep is that even though this was originally directed primarily at EMS, they are now marketing this towards Law Enforcement as well, and they have gotten some bigger sales. (How many police cars are there in your town compared with how many ambulances?). Additionally... LEO's tend to be a target of spit, etc. a little more than we are.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Being asthmatic, I'm waiting to see the long term effects of the propellants used in the product.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
It is pump-activated.

Still, misting something into my face that kills nasty bugs has got to be a nasty chemical.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Ok... as it was explained to me... it is "super ionized water"

From the website - http://www.myclyns.com/

How does MyClyns™ work?
rule_pix2.gif

MyClyns™ contains a solution of oxychlorine compounds. These compounds move through the cell membranes and deactivate the cell's essential enzymes and structures, rendering them non-viable.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry about bumping an older thread, but I was about to ask a similar question about this product, found this thread through search, and didn't see any point in starting over from scratch.

Now that this product has been around awhile, I'm wondering if anyone has any additional information about it? Has it been proven to be effective? Has it been proven to be safe to use, i.e. are there any side-effects or possible dangers related to using it?

This products seems to have come down in price, too. It's now ~$17 for the larger 12 mL size.

Unless someone has some valid information on why to not use this product, my thinking is that it doesn't take up much pocket space and it's probably better than nothing if nothing is all you'd have otherwise. Obviously, if one has a valid reason to use this in the field, then one should still seek definitive care as soon as possible, but until that is possible, hopefully this stuff will enhance your chances of coming away without any problems.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
I carry one in my gear bag, but it was a give away at a conference. The case is not tough enough and I quickly snapped the end off it in my gear bag. A quick wrap with transpore tape on the second one seems to have fixed that problem. Hopefully it'll stay tucked away unused until it expires, but it's nice to have if someone spits or vomits on me and it gets on my face. Protective glasses only cover so much.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
So do you think it would not be durable enough to keep in a pant pocket, like a cargo pocket on the thigh area?

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
So do you think it would not be durable enough to keep in a pant pocket, like a cargo pocket on the thigh area?

I'd hope you'd use it so infrequently that it would just be a hassle to carry. But no, I don't think the glass that it's actually stored in would handle the rigors of a pocket long term. I've placed it in the side pocket of my gear bag with my Vic's vapor rub, bottle of tylenol, extra hand sanitizer and non-drowsy cold meds The bag doesn't get jostled too much, just into and out of the truck at shift change and into my trunk. That's all it took to break the first one.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
The spray contains Hypochlorous acid which reacts with lipids. Since gram negative bacterium have a lipid bi-layer, it would then lead one to believe that the HOCl would disrupt the membrane of the bacterium. Not sure how this would affect gram positive bacterium. I would tend to believe that this product does kill a good amount of bacterium. The website does offer white papers on the product.

Also as far as breakage goes, I think they offer a newer less breakable package.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Since gram negative bacterium have a lipid bi-layer
Clarification... some gram negative bacteria have an extra lipid bilayer.All living cells have a bilayer known as the plasma membrane.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Also as far as breakage goes, I think they offer a newer less breakable package.

Oh, I think you are right...In one place on their website, they refer to "new glass-free packaging"; in another place, they refer to "new & improved packaging" and "no glass vial" (http://www.myclyns.com/us/myclyns-personal-spray&bypass).

The reason I would really want to have something like this actually on my person is because although I of course hope I'd never need it at all, if I ever actually do, I'd want it as quickly as possible.

I just wanted to also explain that I originally became interested in this product when I was working for private companies doing inter-facility transports. The patients seen in that kind of work are probably more likely to have some things like MRSA than the public in general. An exposure might happen inside a hospital, in which case definitive care isn't really that far away, but it could also occur in a nursing home or a patient's home or a hospice or what have you. I might not always be that close to the ambulance where my personal gear is stored, if I kept it in a gear bag left on the unit. Still, whether doing IFT or 911, these kinds of things are better to have and not need than need and not have, in my opinion, and it seems to me that I have the pocket space for this (thanks to 5.11).

Last edited by a moderator:

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Clarification... some gram negative bacteria have an extra lipid bilayer.All living cells have a bilayer known as the plasma membrane.

Note: I think it is the outer layer that differentiates gram +/-. But I am not positive :)
Quoting from a website.

http://www.suite101.com/content/gram-positive-gram-bacteria-a50738

From the peptidoglycan inwards all bacterial cells are very similar. Going further out, the bacterial world divides into two major classes: Gram positive (Gram +) and Gram negative (Gram -).

In Gram-positive cells, peptidoglycan makes up as much as 90% of the thick cell wall; more than 20 layers of peptidoglycan stacked together. These layers are the outermost cell wall structure of Gram + cells, whereas in Gram negative cells, the thinner peptidoglycan component is covered by an external lipopolysaccharide (LPS) membrane.

In gram-negative bacteria, peptidoglycan is not the outmost layer of the cell wall. Gram- cells have an additional, external membrane, similar to the plasma membrane, but less permeable and composed of lipopolysaccharides (LPS).

Read more at Suite101: Gram Negative ( Gram- ) Bacteria: What Makes Some Bacterial Cells Stain Gram-negative? http://www.suite101.com/content/gram-negative-gram-bacteria-a50731#ixzz15QPBstzM

JPINFV

Gadfly
The funny thing about MRSA is that there's a decent chance that you're already colonized. Additionally, what, exactly, are you thinking they're going to do if you're "exposed?" Here, take some Vanco just in case?

JPINFV

Gadfly
What differentiates between gram positive and gram negative bacteria is the size of the cell wall, which is what determines if the crystal violet-iodine stain remains in the cell wall. Yes, some gram negative have an outer cell membrane, but that doesn't change the fact that the plasma membrane is a lipid bilayer and is found in all cells.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
but that doesn't change the fact that the plasma membrane is a lipid bilayer and is found in all cells.

But the plasma membrane is an innermost layer of both bacterium. In the case of HOCl it disrupts the outer lipid layer of a gram -. The gram + outer layer is a peptidoglycan structure. But I suppose your M.S. degree trumps me so I will leave it at that.