Method to relieve a subdural hematoma?

apagea99

Forum Lieutenant
Based on some other advice I've been given here lately, I thought I would post this as a possible way to relieve pressure caused by a subdural hematoma. A friend of a friend of a friend who knows someone who has read a book on ATLS has suggested that a hatchet could possibly be used to relieve this pressure if used in a very careful way.

What do you think?

Sasha

Forum Chief
Based on some other advice I've been given here lately, I thought I would post this as a possible way to relieve pressure caused by a subdural hematoma. A friend of a friend of a friend who knows someone who has read a book on ATLS has suggested that a hatchet could possibly be used to relieve this pressure if used in a very careful way.

What do you think?

Would an icepick work?

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
No, an ice pick wouldn't work, you see, it's REAL hard to get enough force to get through the skull with an ice pick, but to NOT affect the still viable grey matter.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Wow, Sapph! You're so smart, you must know someone who took ATLS!

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Nah, just use your IO drill! :rolleyes:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Sure... apply the hatchet with significant force in the space superior to the shoulders and inferior to the jaw and you won't have to worry about the hematoma anymore.

TomB

Forum Captain
Very funny. You know, if it's me, and I'm blue and listless, and my chest is hyperinflated, and I'm starting to brady down, and you're 15 minutes away from the hospital, PLEASE stick a finger in my sucking chest wound. What possible harm could it do? If you don't like that suggestion, I know another place you can stick your finger.

Last edited by a moderator:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I spend a lot of time in the wilderness. I have heated many homes with wood heat and am pretty proficient with a hatchet. I cannot imagine being able to use a hatchet in a 'careful way' that would in anyway justify its use as a medical instrument.

Darlin' most of EMS is picking up granny. I would suggest spending more time learning basic skills and less time worrying about what if's on low probability calls. You are just going to start a bunch of flame wars with these types of questions.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I spend a lot of time in the wilderness. I have heated many homes with wood heat and am pretty proficient with a hatchet. I cannot imagine being able to use a hatchet in a 'careful way' that would in anyway justify its use as a medical instrument.

Darlin' most of EMS is picking up granny. I would suggest spending more time learning basic skills and less time worrying about what if's on low probability calls. You are just going to start a bunch of flame wars with these types of questions.

It was a joke post, Bossy! See Bilateral Tension Pnuemothorax post for reference :p

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
What, you don't have a craniotomy kit in your trunk for just such an emergency? I keep mine next to the spare LEDs for my dashboard lights.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
It was a joke post, Bossy! See Bilateral Tension Pnuemothorax post for reference :p

Okay, I am officially the slowest wit on the forum! The other day I had to have three volunteers explain to me why they were all laughing about the guy with severe injuries to his left arm/hand from a slow speed roll over in his truck. Apparently he had his hand out the window flipping off his girlfriend when the truck rolled. Everyone on scene caught that but me!

And my sons had to explain this joke to me several times before I got it...
Q:"What did Buddha say to the hot dog vender?"
A:"Make me one with everything"

Seriously.. they kept repeating the joke.. going.. come on Mom.. think..its easy!

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant
Use Multi-Task Tools

The quickest an easiest way would be to use the handy 40.cal. you are carrying for defense.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh Dear!

So I guess it is not a "Hole In One"??! :p