Medics, what was the hardest part about transitioning from EMT to medic?

cannonball88

Forum Crew Member
1. Realizing that there's nobody there to tell you what to do. ALS is not on the "Consider Additional Resources" list, because YOU are that resource. As a result, you have to jump into that role, which brings me to point #2.

2. They call it "Command Prescence" in the Army. They call it the "Presidential Voice" in politics. It's something that's difficult to teach, it just comes when you're ready. Essentially, when you step out of that truck, you should radiate confidence, and everyone should look to you because you give off that aura that says "I know what to do, I'm in charge here."

3. Remembering that when deciding what to do for a patient, the decision on what treatments to withhold and why is just as important as deciding what treatments to give. In other words, "because the ER nurse will be mad if I don't" is not a reason to start an IV, or at least it isn't a reason to put it at the top of your list.

4. Trust those around you who have earned it. It's insulting when you're not only doing your job, but your EMT's job as well (obviously, if you're working with an incompetent EMT, there are exceptions!)

5. Realize that you are the emotional center of your crew. It's your job to make sure your EMT partner is okay. It's your job to ask if everyone's gonna be alright after a tough call. This falls on you.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I think the biggest part is what others have mentioned.... You realize that you no longer have the safety net you had in having a preceptor who could take over if you screwed up.

First code, I realized I was the only medic on the scene, and I needed to coordinate a host of other providers to handle everything else incumbent in the call, while I focused on the ALS skills and the "big picture".

The other part of that is learning how and when to ask for help - whether that be contacting medical control or asking another medic "hey, what do you think".