Medical Questions During Hiring

kpr24

Forum Probie
Hello,

I am a new EMT-B about ready to start looking for work in the field. I will be applying to private ambulance companies.

Do you know if employers, particularly in Massachusetts, can ask about mental health issues in the hiring process? I take several anti-depressants and an anti-anxiety medication (for depression). My condition is under control and I see my doc regularly. I am confident that I have ability and capacity to be a good EMT but I wonder if I'll be ruled out by employers because I take medication.

Just for curiosity, I looked at the application for the Massachusetts Firefighting Academy and they ask about mental health and require you to list all medications.

Does anyone who hires or has been hired recently have information on what private companies can ask?

Thanks.

medic417

The Truth Provider
They have the right to ask about medications. Would you want someone driving your equipment or taking care of your mother that might pass out at any time? Be honest, it does not rule you out but might get you fired if you lie about it.

ARose

Forum Lieutenant
Personally, I wouldn't. I have RA and I checked off the "yes" box on my medical, but that's just me. I don't think you (not you specifically, just people in general) should omit pertinent info from your employers. Especially if you're caring for the sick and injured.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
OP
OP
K

kpr24

Forum Probie
It seems like the consensus is to be honest but only disclose what is necessary.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
In a job interview, potential employers are forbidden (generally by Federal law, if they employ more than about 15 workers, but there are state laws that generally apply even to smaller employers) from asking certain questions. These include questions relating to the areas of race, ethnicity, gender, national origin, age, or disability. A question regarding what medications you take falls under the forbidden area of disability.

So, if you're asked if you have a diagnosed mental illness, or if you take prescription medications, those questions are off-limits.

The question is, if you're asked that question, what should you do. You certainly can choose to answer the question, either with a polite misdirection (in other words, an answer that says you're capable of performing all the duties of the job) or you can tell the truth, which is a waiver of your rights. Or you can, with varying degrees of forcefulness, decline to answer. As a result, you may not get the job. If the company is one that will discriminate against you for the answer, the question is whether it's the kind of place you'd want to work in the first place.

They can ask about illegal drugs. They can also require drug testing, or a pre-employment physical. But in the case of the physical, the sole purpose of it is to determine whether you are capable of performing the duties of the position.

Hope that clarifies things. Your mileage may vary. Consult an employment lawyer in your jurisdiction if you want specific advice.

OP
OP
K

kpr24

Forum Probie
Thanks for the info. It's very consistent with my research.

It's interesting that the fire academy does ask questions pertaining to specific illnesses and requires disclosure of medications. Maybe they can do this because they aren't actually hiring?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Or no one challenges them.

I have responded to questions like that which I thought were good ones albeit I realized that they were not necessary "kosher".
As to asking about your meds, I believe that what they are supposed to be asking is what sort of driver's license you have, not your medical history. It is incumbent upon the patient and the pt's MD in some states to report medical conditions that make them unsafe to drive.
Why don't ambulance companies administer a Snellen test then?
eye_test.jpg

(you can use that one in your ambulance)