Marijuana & Nervous System Response

Code 3

Forum Captain
It is my understanding that marijuana is an opiate and therefore classified as a depressant. I was taught that depressants have some of the following effects on the Parasympathetic Nervous System:
  • Pupils constrict
  • Saliva secretions increase
  • Bronchioles constrict
  • Heart rate decreases
  • Gastric juice secretions increase
  • Most blood vessels dilate

However, I was also taught in an upper division psychology course that marijuana will cause dryness of the mouth and throat. Is there any explanation for the contradiction?

Also, I recently came in contact with a patient who claimed to have consumed (2) beers and smoked marijuana. Here's the Hx:

Called for a syncopal episode where patient slumped against wall and was lowered to the floor by a friend. Patient presented with the following V/S:

• HR: 115 strong/regular @ radial site
  • BP: 108/P
  • Resp: 18 full/effective
  • Eyes: Dilated @ 7mm (fixed/unresponsive)
  • LOC: A/O x 4
  • Lungs: Clear bilaterally
  • Skins: Pale, cool, diaphoretic

Patient complained of being lightheaded/dizzy with minor SOB. He has a medical history of syncopy as well. When I was assessing the patient's eyes, the room was dark and the only light was a blacklight. I could already tell his pupils were blown and when I used a flashlight his eyes did not respond. He told me he could barely see the light when I moved it across his eyes. About 2-3 minutes later, I checked his eyes agan and they were completely normal in size and PERL. What would cause this patient to have fixed and dilated eyes? If marijuana is a depressant, wouldn't his eyes have been constricted instead of dilated?

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
OP
OP
Code 3

Code 3

Forum Captain

So. IL Medic

Forum Lieutenant
THC is not an opiate. THC acts on cannabinoid receptors not the opiate receptors. The body even has it's own natural cannabinoids, anandimide was the first discovered, and cannabinoid receptors in the CNS and periphery.

It is the receptor, not the drug, that determines the action.