Jobs not "trusting" emt-b?

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
At the very least I'd like to see us do what Nevada and Tennessee do. You can still be an EMT, but you do not transport. To be on an ambulance, you must be an AEMT or better.

Incorrect regarding NV.
You can work on an IFT rig in NV as a Basic anywhere (southern NV).
AMR has Basics doing 911 in Vegas, although they do not tech calls; they assist the medic and drive.
Intermediates - aka AEMTs, function more or less the same as the Basics in other states, except they can start IVs, check sugar, and have a little greater but still limited formulary of medications. They drive, and they take all of the BLS (or "ILS") calls. Obviously, there is a little more to it than that, but for brevity I will not list their entire scope. However, my point is that they function much like Basics do other places - I don't mean that in a demeaning fashion. When I was a basic I worked in NV, CA, and AZ... So that is where I gained that perspective.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Incorrect regarding NV.
You can work on an IFT rig in NV as a Basic anywhere (southern NV).
AMR has Basics doing 911 in Vegas, although they do not tech calls; they assist the medic and drive.
Intermediates - aka AEMTs, function more or less the same as the Basics in other states, except they can start IVs, check sugar, and have a little greater but still limited formulary of medications. They drive, and they take all of the BLS (or "ILS") calls. Obviously, there is a little more to it than that, but for brevity I will not list their entire scope. However, my point is that they function much like Basics do other places - I don't mean that in a demeaning fashion. When I was a basic I worked in NV, CA, and AZ... So that is where I gained that perspective.
I though I remembered @Robb saying something about that, must have misread that.

Still, I wish in Colorado that the low level provider on 911 ambulances were AEMTs considering we have about the same scope with less education. Get the education in there at least, however minimal.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
What system in CO, lets basics do IO's? I know AEMT's can. I know Denver Metro does not and no service in NoCo lets the basics do them.
El Paso and Teller counties, along with at least one eastern plains service.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I though I remembered @Robb saying something about that, must have misread that.

It is the "normal" for 911 trucks to be paramedic/intermediate. The health district says it is mandatory; I have no idea what AMR did to get an exception (maybe temp manpower issues?-just a guess).

But there are plenty of jobs for Basics like events and IFT trucks.