Jobs in SLC or Denver areas

TF Medic

Forum Crew Member
My wife and I are considering a move out west. We have friends in SLC and Denver, so they would be the likely choices.

She is a nurse, I'm a paramedic working on my RN. I'd love a chance to work wilderness medicine, on a helicopter, search and rescue, etc.

If those aren't available, I'll need a regular road medic job until I finish my RN. Can you guys provide any advice?

Thanks!

OP
OP
T

TF Medic

Forum Crew Member
Thanks, but do you have any information regarding employment in the area?

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Not really but someone will be able to come along that has more. I know AMR is in there area along with some other private services, and Denver Health does the 911 for the city.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Denver Health Paramedics does 911 for the city and county of Denver. AMR runs Boulder and CO Springs. R/M runs Aurora and a few other parts for transport 911. There are also quite a few ALS transporting fire departments in the area. I'm sure some of the ones with more recent knowledge of the area will chime in soon. I haven't been up there for years.

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
As mentioned, Denver Health covers the City & County of Denver, Glendale, Sheridan, and Englewood. We've been hiring quite a bit recently, too.

Falck just took over Aurora from Rural/Metro at the beginning of the month. I don't know much about Falck specifically, but Aurora is not a system I enjoyed working in.

For 911, Rural/Metro is down to just Wheat Ridge and Fairmount through Pridemark. They still have the Kaiser contract and a few other big interfacility contracts.

AMR does Colorado Springs/El Paso County, city of Boulder, city of Longmont, Boulder County, and city of Golden.

Northglenn Ambulance does 911 for Commerce City and has a couple stations that do transfers and backup Denver.

As far as fire departments, South Metro, West Metro, North Metro, Westminster, Littleton, Castle Rock, the Rocky Mountain Fire Authority, Mountain View Fire, Louisville, Lafayette, South Adams County, Federal Heights, and Sable Altura all run their own transport ambulances. I don't have any idea of who might be hiring or when.

Getting a little further afield, Thompson Valley covers the Loveland area and Poudre Valley/UC Health covers Fort Collins. Summit County Ambluance, Grand County Ambulance, and Eagle County Paramedics cover exactly where you think they would. All of these places hire full-time medics.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Does ACA still run 911 in Security? They also used to have a 911 station in Sheridan plus that standard overflow 911 calls.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Security Fire now does their own transport. Action Care is down to their main station in Centennial.

As you might expect, getting on with the county services relatively near Denver is difficult. Expect to work part time for them for a while, or at the very least have some significant experience. Gilpin, Clear Creek, Summit, Grand, and Eagle counties all run their own EMS services that are pretty well regarded.

AMR El Paso County/Colorado Springs is pretty good operation as is the Boulder area. Denver AMR is mostly transports.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I wish I could say I'm sad that ACA is getting smaller and smaller... but I can't. I don't miss working there at all.

EDIT: IF you can get one with Eagle County Paramedics they and their leadership are damn well regarded. Montera is a hell of a medic and he's doing great things with his CP program.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I wish I could say I'm sad that ACA is getting smaller and smaller... but I can't. I don't miss working there at all.

EDIT: IF you can get one with Eagle County Paramedics they and their leadership are damn well regarded. Montera is a hell of a medic and he's doing great things with his CP program.
I too did not have a positive experience with Action Care. However they have changed ownership and I've heard things are better. Still, I think the OP could do better.

There is also that new company Apex that @Ensihoitaja said was started by former Pridemark/RM people I believe. And of course your usual assortment of vaguely sketchy privates that pick up scraps; Capital City/Citywide, Mile-Hi, iCare, and All American.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

I too did not have a positive experience with Action Care. However they have changed ownership and I've heard things are better. Still, I think the OP could do better.

There is also that new company Apex that @Ensihoitaja said was started by former Pridemark/RM people I believe. And of course your usual assortment of vaguely sketchy privates that pick up scraps; Capital City/Citywide, Mile-Hi, iCare, and All American.

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
Man, I already forgot about Apex. I've heard that they're doing some transports for Children's now. I figured I'd just mention companies that do 911 to keep the list down.

OP
OP
T

TF Medic

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the help guys. I am not interested in an IFT only service. I am pretty lucky now that I run about 90% 911 calls and catch a transfer here and there. I don't mind a couple transfers, but I didn't become a medic to do them either.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If you want to go right back to working 911, Denver Health and AMR Colorado Springs are probably your best bet. Both hire relatively often and pay decently (Denver is better). AMR Boulder puts you on a transfer/911 car until a spot on one of the dedicated ambulances opens up, or so I have been told.

I work part time for AMR COS, it's not bad. It's busy and Colorado Springs Fire maintains "scene control" and has paramedics of varying competency, much like AMR. You'll do a transfer every other shift on average. Fully staffed it's usually 9-10 calls in 12 hours.

Cos101

Forum Ride Along
Not to hijack this thread. I searched an couldn't find any info on SLC area ems jobs. I am currently in medic school and will finish this year begging in summer. Does anybody know what the current ALS jobs market is like down in SLC and the surrounding ares? I would be moving from the Midwest, hypothetically. Thanks.

Summit

Critical Crazy
CO is well represented, but I'll point out that SLC has a much lower cost of living and the job market is easier to break into, particularly as a new RN... at least that is what I hear from people who have been both places. Denver is notoriously hard for new RNs.

bizzy522

Forum Crew Member
If you want to go right back to working 911, Denver Health and AMR Colorado Springs are probably your best bet. Both hire relatively often and pay decently (Denver is better). AMR Boulder puts you on a transfer/911 car until a spot on one of the dedicated ambulances opens up, or so I have been told.

I work part time for AMR COS, it's not bad. It's busy and Colorado Springs Fire maintains "scene control" and has paramedics of varying competency, much like AMR. You'll do a transfer every other shift on average. Fully staffed it's usually 9-10 calls in 12 hours.
Sounds like a decent gig ... AMR system status ?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Sounds like a decent gig ... AMR system status ?
AMR Colorado Springs is almost all SSM. There are three ambulances stationed with county fire districts that run on 48s. Everyone else is SSM on 10, 12, or 14 hour shifts.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief

Boulder went to the same "status management" type of model as COS has. Got rid of the 48's and started 12 hour shifts. Everyone does 911 and cycles through IFTS. So there's no more "transfer cars".