IO Devices: Drills vs. Guns

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
So what does everyone here have at their disposal?

At work, I have the EZ-IO drill.

At the volly house, I have the B.I.G, bone injection gun.

I have used the drill numerous times and always had success with it.

Last night I had a crew member use the BIG gun and miss. Don't know what caused him to blatantly miss, but it caused me to realize that should you miss, you are screwed.

Atleast with the drill I can just take a mulligan and try again.

Last edited by a moderator:

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Just a side note; I attended a code reenactment at our hospital which outlined a failed pediatric arrest. One of the biggest failures during that code was the placement of EZ-IO needles. They had to make 3 attempts, first two went straight through then bone. It took them quite some time to figure out that was the problem.

The other problem was this took place in July.....at a teaching hospital

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
So what does everyone here have at their disposal?

At work, I have the EZ-IO drill.

At the volly house, I have the B.I.G, bone injection gun.

We also have the Jamshidi as a backup at both agencies.

I have used the drill numerous times and always had success with it.

Last night on an arrest with the vollies I was handling the intubation and the other members of my crew were unable to obtain IV access so I told them to go for an IO. So one of my crew fires the B.I.G off and completely goes into the lateral calf, nowhere near the bone. At this point he gave epi and I knew it wasn't in just by looking at it. I grabbed the lock and pulled it out effortlessly.

So let's say we didn't have a jamshidi (which I hate using anyway) now we would have no means of access... With the drill I can just take a mulligan and go again. (I have no idea how you miss the bone to begin with)

In the end I managed a 20g in the hand, but the whole thing irritated
me a bit.

Never seen anything but the EZ-IO, there are places in Colorado now allowing IOs by basics with the IV add on so I did get training with them. So easy to use, and as you mention reusable immediately, I can't imagine wanting anything else. I'm still struggling to visualize someone missing an IO...

OIFXGunner

Forum Probie
We have the EZ IO drill at my volly station. Where I work currently doesn't have IO access as a protocol -_-

OP
OP
N

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Simplified my original post a bit, it was a kinda wordy.

I'm going to try and use this occurence as a means to get the EZ-IO instead of the BIG shooter. The main issue people usually have with the EZ-IO is that the needles cost upwards of $100. But our agency is by no means strapped for cash...

And as far as the reason he missed, without too much detail, incompetence. These kind of occurrences are the main reason I highly dislike the AEMT level we have here beneath a medic.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Use the EZ-IO here with a 100% success rate. Some of my students and I talked about this and they cant say the same for the B.I.G. back where they work.

Im not exactly sure on the mechanism of the miss but a few seemed to think it simply ricocheted from the bone surface if it wasnt perfectly perpendicular and the other think it was operator error

OP
OP
N

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Use the EZ-IO here with a 100% success rate. Some of my students and I talked about this and they cant say the same for the B.I.G. back where they work.

Im not exactly sure on the mechanism of the miss but a few seemed to think it simply ricocheted from the bone surface if it wasnt perfectly perpendicular and the other think it was operator error

My experience yesterday was definitely the operator making a blatant error but I can see how it would easily ricochet.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Never seen anything but the EZ-IO, there are places in Colorado now allowing IOs by basics with the IV add on so I did get training with them. So easy to use, and as you mention reusable immediately, I can't imagine wanting anything else. I'm still struggling to visualize someone missing an IO...

Missing an I.O. is certainly possible. Working in pediatric transport I can assure you even with the EZ I.O. I have seen many "misses" or incorrect placements in the pediatric population. I attribute this to softer bones, which I believe makes it more difficult to properly identify landmarks. Even when correctly placed I have yet to see an I.O. last any significant amount of time with volume/meds infusing. We will always look for, and usually are able to obtain IV access on our transports where they only have an I.O. established.

OP
OP
N

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Missing an I.O. is certainly possible. Working in pediatric transport I can assure you even with the EZ I.O. I have seen many "misses" or incorrect placements in the pediatric population. I attribute this to softer bones, which I believe makes it more difficult to properly identify landmarks. Even when correctly placed I have yet to see an I.O. last any significant amount of time with volume/meds infusing. We will always look for, and usually are able to obtain IV access on our transports where they only have an I.O. established.

In NYC, where we have the EZ-IO, it is only for adult use.

For a ped, I MUST use the jamshidi. I have thankfully not had to treat any children past an IV, but I believe the reason is that you can better gauge your administration of the device than you can with a drill that will easy penetrate the posterior of the bone.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We use the EZ-IO for all of our IO access, adults and pedi. We carry 2 adult needles, a pedi and a bariatric in our IO kit.

One method we use during con ed is to practice drilling eggs. It really helps develop finesse and control when drilling a pedi. The take home is learning not to jerk the driver back when you penetrate the trebucular space. Letting the driver and needle do the work is the key.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
We use the EZ-IO for all of our IO access, adults and pedi. We carry 2 adult needles, a pedi and a bariatric in our IO kit.

One method we use during con ed is to practice drilling eggs. It really helps develop finesse and control when drilling a pedi. The take home is learning not to jerk the driver back when you penetrate the trebucular space. Letting the driver and needle do the work is the key.

Same here with the exception of the Bariatric needle. Though with our local populous we really do need a few

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
I assume you guys are refering to the yellow needle as the bariatric needle? We use yellow exclusively for humeral access which works awesome.

Are you guys using the commercial securing product from EZ I.O., its like a tegaderm with a plastic hub in the middle? I saw/used one the other day for the first time and I must say I liked it alot. Going to see if EZ I.O. will send us some for trial at work.

LondonMedic

Forum Captain
I've use Cook, EZ and BIG. I think that BIG is easily the best of the three requiring very little training, being dead simple and being quick.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
EZ-IO user and we love them.

The biggest failing point of the device has been the "Pediatric", "Adult", and "Bariatric" nomenclature surrounding the needles. More than once we've seen folks will try and fail twice with the "Pediatric" needle on a pedi code when they should have used the medium needle instead. Calling them Small, Medium, and Large helps.

OP
OP
N

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
EZ-IO user and we love them.

The biggest failing point of the device has been the "Pediatric", "Adult", and "Bariatric" nomenclature surrounding the needles. More than once we've seen folks will try and fail twice with the "Pediatric" needle on a pedi code when they should have used the medium needle instead. Calling them Small, Medium, and Large helps.

FDNY only carries the blue needle (adult)

God forbid people were intelligent enough to think that the short needle just might be for a smaller patient...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
No matter what you call the sizes, a proper assessment for the correct needle length prior to drilling is vital.

Our rule of thumb is:
<40kg or a patient with minimal tissue over the insertion site gets the pink needle set.

>40kg with moderate tissue gets the Blue needle set. ("normal" adults)

And patients >40kg with excessive tissue above the insertion site or humoral head insertion gets the yellow needle set.

And yes, we use the EZ-IO stabilizer kit. I don't always use it with a tibial IO, but it's a must for the humoral head site.

OP
OP
N

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
We also don't carry the stabilizer.

In contrast to the jamshidi the EZ-IO is pretty damn shallow. You really can't knock it out that easily and we can always make some fancy tape job if needed...

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
I've used all three generations of EZ-IO. Was trained on sternal IO. And I've used the B.I.G. I realized how easily it was to fire the needle. If you weren't careful and moved a bit at an angle, it could quite easily miss the mark.

325Medic

Forum Lieutenant
We use the EZ-IO, both adult, pedi and bariatric for large people and humerous. I have yet to preform a humerous drill but have preformed dozens of the legs on adults and just preformed one on a pedi code a few weeks back.