Insulin and Diabetes

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
I've been hunting around the internet but I'm somewhat confused. Can somebody explain this to me?

As I understand, Diabetes Type I was the inability of the body to produce insulin, so insulin was needed to be injected. Diabetes Type II meant that the cells could not use the insulin to move sugar from the blood into the cells ("insulin resistance").

However, somebody I know has had Diabetes Type II for a while and is now required to take insulin because the cocktail of medications no longer works. I found that this is because the pancreas is not producing insulin properly. But if Diabetes Type II means the cells can't use the insulin... how exactly does more of it help the situation?

Also, does this mean that IDDM does not necessarily mean Type I?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Your summary in the second paragraph is correct, but DM type II is a very complex disease process and some do end up requiring exogenous insulin.

Some of the DM type II meds work by sensitizing the cells to insulin, and they would be used in conjunction with the insulin.

EMS2PA

Forum Ride Along
There is a lot more overlap between types of diabetes than previously thought. Research is now showing that many diabetics may have characteristics of both types of diabetes.
But, a type I diabetic is always insulin dependent. Their pancreatic beta cells are no longer producing insulin, so the only way they can utilize glucose is by giving themselves insulin to break the glucose down.
Type II diabetics typically start out with 'insulin resistance'. Their pancreas is working overtime pumping out more insulin to help break down the glucose. The oral medications help to utilize the glucose, but the pancreas still is being over-worked. Eventually the pancreas tires and produces less and less insulin, which is why many type II diabetics end up on insulin. Now, in general, a type II diabetic is not strictly 'insulin dependent'. But, they may be more controlled by adding insulin.