I got my MRI results back...

281mustang

Forum Lieutenant
I haven't posted in the past couple months but I was involved in an accident about 6 weeks ago. I was rear ended at a stop light by a car going 40-50 mph which caused a 4-car pile-up.

I'm not too awful worried about the herniated discs but the extruded disc at L5/S1 is definitely a big concern. Has anyone here had an extruded disc? How has it affected your career in EMS?

Attachments

• MRI.PDF
    180.8 KB · Views: 381

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Medical advice over the Internet...

Complete your physical therapy and talk to your doc about lifting limitation. You might even be eligible for special chairs at work or school if it is bad enough.
I would not be doing lifting with that.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
You realized that the PDF you posted has your personal information on it, right?

OP
OP

281mustang

Forum Lieutenant
Complete your physical therapy and talk to your doc about lifting limitation. You might even be eligible for special chairs at work or school if it is bad enough.
I would not be doing lifting with that.
I've already talked about it briefly with my Chiro, I'm more interested to hear how it has affected employment than anything else. I should be entering MMI fairly soon so I should find out more then.
You realized that the PDF you posted has your personal information on it, right?
I'm not too concerned with my name and DOB. Anything that someone would be able to find via Google is fair game to me.

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I haven't posted in the past couple months but I was involved in an accident about 6 weeks ago. I was rear ended at a stop light by a car going 40-50 mph which caused a 4-car pile-up.

I'm not too awful worried about the herniated discs but the extruded disc at L5/S1 is definitely a big concern. Has anyone here had an extruded disc? How has it affected your career in EMS?

I have a very similar condition. I've become much more aware of how I lift, push, pull, twist, turn -- anything that might aggravate my back. I now realize that there's a fine line between doing the lifting that EMS requires and suffering a career-ending injury. I've decided to postpone retirement as long as I can, but not beyond the point where I put my partners or my patient in jeopardy. I think I'll know when I get there.

You'll have to determine your own risk and pain tolerance. Meanwhile, if you have any other career options that are less physically taxing, you might want to pursue them while you still have a choice.

Contact me privately if you want to talk further.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Not completely on topic: I noticed that the person who read and dictated the report is a chiropractor who calls themself a "Board Certified Radiologist". I did some digging and it appears these are not MDs or DOs who have done medical school and a radiology residency, but a chiropractor who has done their own version of it.

I would like to suggest for your consideration having a real radiologist check it out.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
chiropractor who has done their own version of it.

Remember, Allopathic Medicine is based on two primary treatments; drugs and surgery. The way they translate any diagnosis is to associate it with a cure that is related to one or a combination of those treatments.

Chiropractors know bones. They understand articulations. Their thought processes involve offering non-invasive treatments primarily involving manipulation.

There are many schools of thought; all of whom have remedies that work. Yes, you are a practitioner of allopathic medicine, but to insinuate there is only one way is to ignore most of history.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Neat. Hope you are doing better. Be careful with that.

And what does TBI stand for? Kind of ironic that a company doing MRIs has a name that in the medical world stands for Traumatic Brain Injury. :ph34r:

bryncvp

Forum Lieutenant
Do yourself a favor and see an athletic trainer (not personal trainer) or physical therapist that are certified in the McKenzie method of rehabilitation when it comes to back injuries.

As for working..I have never had an injury like that, but have seen many of them in the college sports medicine clinic I work in (I do EMS on the side)..they were not car accidents, but athletic injuries. You will find it difficult to do anything when your back in flexion, especially lifting anything. Good solid rehabilitation and strengthening if you key to a non surgical recovery.