How to keep basic skill level up and maybe improve looking ahead? Young EMR/not employed.

Start reading the EMT textbook?

• Total voters

benasack2000

Forum Crew Member
Hey everyone,

I'm an almost 16 year old EMR. I can't work as a lifeguard until next summer and the only thing that I'm really involved in is Community Emergency Response Team/Medical Reserve Corps volunteering. We rarely do first aid standbys at events, there's rarely an SAR type thing we would get called out for, and the only other opportunity I would have to utilize what I learned if there was some huge disaster or emergency (which will probably not happen). And then there's always the rarer chance of just stumbling upon medical emergencies in everyday life and just being prepared and ready. My EMS Exploring group is no longer active so we no longer go in twice a month and get an opportunity to work on our skills or learn anything more advanced.

I want to know how to maintain somewhat of a skill level of where I'm at. As an EMR I realize it's only extremely basic stuff but should I be re-reading my textbook slowly and gradually? I don't have much of an opportunity anymore to get hands-on with practical skills, but the knowledge is easier to maintain.

I would also be interested in maybe trying to learn more looking ahead. If I plan on being an EMT in college and eventually going to medical school - should I start slowly reading the full EMT textbook now? The athletic trainer in my school took the class recently, had it laying around his house, and gave it to me for free along with the workbook. The EMR textbook only touches on anatomy/physiology and only briefly explains what is going on inside the body for different types of medical emergencies/conditions. The EMR textbook is 600 pages and the EMT textbook is somewhere around 1500. Would this be a worthwhile thing for me to do?

Or should I just maintain the skills/knowledge at my level and not try to learn more knowledge that I won't be using on a day to day basis? I'm a pretty busy person outside of this interest with school/sports. Is the EMT book an unnecessary read for right now?

Look forward to hearing some of the responses,
B

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
As an EMR, there really aren't a lot of "skills" to maintain... If you want to read the EMT book, then go for it. It's certainly not going to hurt, and it's prett simple information.

And if you think you'll be in the medical field in a few years, take A&P if your school offers it. Then take the full year of it in college.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Aren't you the kid who did beach CPR? twice? You've already got more experience than most EMRs. Just wait a year or two and become an EMT if you're still interested.

Exp. Hatam

Forum Probie
Don't do it. Focus on your studies instead. Plus, what's the point in starting EMT right now when you have to wait until you are 18 to actually become registered and start working. It will only distract you and possibly cause you to burnout.

I would highly suggest in taking A&P in high school as it is beneficial to any profession within the medical field.

In regards to keeping your skills up, maybe you should talk with your school's athletic trainer/EMT and see if you could become a student-trainer and assist with first aid. Other than that, just review the key areas within the EMR textbook and maintain the knowledge at this level. You could also watch YouTube videos related to EMR skills/practical's.

I myself also don't have many opportunities available. ARC in my area has only 3 first aid station standby events.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Just to build on the advice you've already gotten, whenever you're inclined to learn more about anything, that's a good thing. I don't see how reading a textbook can be bad if you leave time to complete your high-school requirements, too.