How do you deal with THAT co worker

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
How do you accept Criticism? Do you get as worked up when someone critiques you as you are about this?

I had a student once who couldn't accept any criticism. I attempted to correct them once and they were not accepting of feedback, what so ever, and all they wanted to do was argue/make their case as to why they were in the right and blah blah blah. I told someone higher up that I did not want them riding with me again because they were not receptive to feedback, and they were all disgruntled about it.

Is there any chance they gave you feedback at some point that you were not receptive to?

OP
OP
T

Tk11

Forum Captain
How do you accept Criticism? Do you get as worked up when someone critiques you as you are about this?

I had a student once who couldn't accept any criticism. I attempted to correct them once and they were not accepting of feedback, what so ever, and all they wanted to do was argue/make their case as to why they were in the right and blah blah blah. I told someone higher up that I did not want them riding with me again because they were not receptive to feedback, and they were all disgruntled about it.

Is there any chance they gave you feedback at some point that you were not receptive to?
No. They didn't give me ANY feedback at all. I WANT the criticism. That's the only way I'm going to learn anything. I try to do my best at everything I was taught but if I make a mistake I'll own it because I realize I'm brand new to the field. If I work with this medic again ill let them know to tell me everything I'm doing right and everything I'm doing wrong.

But like I said MOST of the calls were basic transfers, so there's not really much feedback they can give on those, unless I take vitals wrong or transfer the patient over wrong. Which is kind of hard to do. We had 2 ALS calls in 12 hours and that's what they were complaining about, so I heard. I wasn't given any feedback after those runs and that's what makes me mad because obviously they think I have problems but didn't say it to my face.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
Not going to go into much detail but basically I'm the new guy at the company. I was training, third riding with a medic. I'm a brand new emt got licensed a few months ago. This medic didn't tell me anything I was doing wrong if I did do anything wrong. But they went on and told someone else how I did this and that wrong and how I'm not good and didn't talk to them enough, etc. I heard about it and first I was going to call the person in charge of these "trainers" and let them know that they're not doing their job very well because they're not saying what I need work on. Then If I see the medic again I was going to let them know basically if you have something to say say it to my face type of thing. Bad idea? I don't have much work experience in general to be honest so haven't had to deal wih too many ck workers.

I hate to break it to you, but YOU are "THAT coworker". It's okay, I was also that guy. I've gotten better but I still have trouble not being that guy.

Other people have given you a lot of good advice here. The only thing I would add is just that you should think less of yourself. Don't assume you're doing anything perfectly just because nobody told you otherwise. You should be questioning it yourself, trying to figure out how you can improve every aspect of everything you do.

Just as an example... A couple times in this thread you say "we did a lot of basic transfers". Even though they weren't emergencies, I'll bet if I watched a video of those calls I could identify 100 things you could have done better. There is more to this than just moving people and taking vitals - you could literally teach a monkey to do that part of the job.

IMO, the "soft skills" are what separate good EMTs and medics from bad ones. Running calls efficiently, asking the right questions at the right time, establishing rapport and communicating well with patients/staff/family/coworkers.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
No. They didn't give me ANY feedback at all. I WANT the criticism. That's the only way I'm going to learn anything. I try to do my best at everything I was taught but if I make a mistake I'll own it because I realize I'm brand new to the field. If I work with this medic again ill let them know to tell me everything I'm doing right and everything I'm doing wrong.

But like I said MOST of the calls were basic transfers, so there's not really much feedback they can give on those, unless I take vitals wrong or transfer the patient over wrong. Which is kind of hard to do. We had 2 ALS calls in 12 hours and that's what they were complaining about, so I heard. I wasn't given any feedback after those runs and that's what makes me mad because obviously they think I have problems but didn't say it to my face.

Like it was already mentioned, don't expect people to meet your expectations. Everyone is different. You're the new guy, so it is you who need to find the right approach to people, not vice versa. FTOs are no exception, they're people just like everyone else. Communicate with people, see how they respond to you, show them how much you appreciate their opinion, don't start any ******** drama and you'll be fine.

OP
OP
T

Tk11

Forum Captain
I hate to break it to you, but YOU are "THAT coworker". It's okay, I was also that guy. I've gotten better but I still have trouble not being that guy.

Other people have given you a lot of good advice here. The only thing I would add is just that you should think less of yourself. Don't assume you're doing anything perfectly just because nobody told you otherwise. You should be questioning it yourself, trying to figure out how you can improve every aspect of everything you do.

Just as an example... A couple times in this thread you say "we did a lot of basic transfers". Even though they weren't emergencies, I'll bet if I watched a video of those calls I could identify 100 things you could have done better. There is more to this than just moving people and taking vitals - you could literally teach a monkey to do that part of the job.

IMO, the "soft skills" are what separate good EMTs and medics from bad ones. Running calls efficiently, asking the right questions at the right time, establishing rapport and communicating well with patients/staff/family/coworkers.
I'm sure I could have. I just thought it was part of their job to say "hey, you need to work on this and this and do more of this" but I guess not. I realize now next time ill have to ask after every call what I did right and wrong and what I need to improve on during the next one. Now knowing that this medic had an issue with me and didn't open their mouth to ME is what annoys me.

I get that people talk, we all do. I don't care what you have to say about me to other people but let me know too. When I have an issue with someone I take it to them, and I expect them same.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Might want to find out what was actually said before getting all butthurt. You are working off of second hand info here.

OP
OP
T

Tk11

Forum Captain
Might want to find out what was actually said before getting all butthurt. You are working off of second hand info here.
That's why I was going to approach the medic and talk to them about it. No one here seems to think its a good idea.

wirk242

Forum Probie
I think you are "that guy". From some of your posts here it seems like you would be unpleasant to work with.

Just relax, my partners are my bros. I am stuck with this guy for 12 - 48hrs. I can deal with a guy that makes mistakes if he accepts criticism with humility and doesn't repete them over and over again. I can't deal with someone that is difficult.

Don't corner your fto and come off like jerk. Take the feedback you got even if it's second hand and you don't like it. Don't come off like some aggressive and angry guy.

MS Medic

Forum Captain
I'm going to assume you're working in an ALS system. Keep in mind that many new EMTs, that included myself, are kind of bad at this job when we first start out. This can be for several reasons. You're taught to work in a BLS environment and get thrown into an ALS environment where your job becomes ALS assist. There's also the fact that almost all of us got into this job with misconceptions of what it's about.

My advice would be to keep your head down, mouth shut, and ears open. That's how you learn. But if you do want to take the route of talking to he FTO, then approach him privately and take a demure stance and speak to him from the perspective of I'm the new guy, I'm sure I was in the wrong so what can I do better. If you approach him that way, you'll probably find him more receptive to the discussion and you might find there was nothing more than miscommunication and misunderstanding at play here.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
That's why I was going to approach the medic and talk to them about it. No one here seems to think its a good idea.

I do, but it depends on what was said. What did this medic say about you behind your back? Was it in the vein of "That guy has dog doo between his ears and I wouldnt trust him to make toast" or more of poking fun at you cause you're the new guy? I know you don't want to give too much detail because you "don't know who's reading this" but even vague context would help.

You went through your shifts thinking everything was kosher and it turns out it wasn't. What do you need to work on or do better?

I love having ride alongs or trainees. They can ask the most bizarre questions and I like that because it keeps me on my toes and makes me think of obscure things that I may not have thought of in a while.

When I have a RA or Trainee, and am explaining something to them, I want humbleness and follow up questions. If I get some "yeah, got it" or "I already knew that" indignant response, well cool. You have fun sitting back here by yourself and I'll go back to watching people fall down on YouTube. Any day of the week, I'll take a dumb guy who's eager to learn over a smart guy who thinks he knows everything.

OP
OP
T

Tk11

Forum Captain
I do, but it depends on what was said. What did this medic say about you behind your back? Was it in the vein of "That guy has dog doo between his ears and I wouldnt trust him to make toast" or more of poking fun at you cause you're the new guy? I know you don't want to give too much detail because you "don't know who's reading this" but even vague context would help.

You went through your shifts thinking everything was kosher and it turns out it wasn't. What do you need to work on or do better?

I love having ride alongs or trainees. They can ask the most bizarre questions and I like that because it keeps me on my toes and makes me think of obscure things that I may not have thought of in a while.

When I have a RA or Trainee, and am explaining something to them, I want humbleness and follow up questions. If I get some "yeah, got it" or "I already knew that" indignant response, well cool. You have fun sitting back here by yourself and I'll go back to watching people fall down on YouTube. Any day of the week, I'll take a dumb guy who's eager to learn over a smart guy who thinks he knows everything.
They basically told someone all the stuff I did wrong, but I wasn't informed of what I did wrong. I'm not someone that's going to put up an argument or anything if I'm told "You did this wrong, you need to work on that and this is how you do it" or something like that. I want the negative feedback. How else will I learn? They just decided to tell it to someone else instead of me. I didn't ask a TON of questions. Maybe I should have asked more?

You said you don't like when a trainee says "I know"? I was putting o2 on a patient I just grabbed the cannula and she said "prongs go down" I did say "I know" would that have made them mad? I thought that was something basic enough that I should know.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
I was putting o2 on a patient I just grabbed the cannula and she said "prongs go down"

Well **** me! I've been doing it wrong for years! (unless you meant posteriorly, as the patient was supine)

Honestly man, you probably did something really obtuse right off the bat, and they decided then and there that you're a moron unfit for their ranks. Questioning them won't change their minds, so I'd just steer clear of the issue and try to convince everyone else of the opposite (through your job performance).

Last edited:

sierrathacker

Forum Ride Along
If I was you, I would calm down.
Analyze what is happening and how can you make this situation better.

The best way it has worked for me is to stop with what I am feeling in that moment, don't let my emotions to control the situation or my actions and ask myself, what is my responsible part in this situation?
Employers don't want to see to who you are going to point the finger and pass that responsibility.

They want to see you autosufficient.

If you feel insecure ask, don't wait for a medic to solve it for you. Take it as a learning experience, we are not in a easy job.
Maybe he is teaching you how to be independent, maybe he is measuring how much do you know, maybe he wants to see if you are good or a joke.

I recommend you to see it as a challenge instead of an obstacle.

Good luck my friend!

Emt

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
You said you don't like when a trainee says "I know"? I was putting o2 on a patient I just grabbed the cannula and she said "prongs go down" I did say "I know" would that have made them mad? I thought that was something basic enough that I should know.

"I know" is definitely kind of aggressive / argumentative sounding, and would encourage the person to not give advice in the future. Just say "alright" or something, even if you did know.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain

I don't think that did it. Something must have happened way before this. My bet is that was probably legitimate advice. Your TO doesn't know if you know that or not. Part of teaching new hires is to figure out where their knowledge level is. I've watched basics put on the cannula wrong. New hires do weird, funny, and downright dumb things sometimes.

In my entire EMT course we never went over how to put on a cannula. It wasn't until my ride along that some super nice EMT spent some time with me in the back of the rig. He pulled a bunch of stuff out of the cabinet and showed me how to place a NC, inflate a NRB, and set up suction.

I was horrific on field training. So much so that I was sure I was going to be fired. I can't tell you how many times I tried to pull the gurney out of the rig while the patient's NC was still attached to the wall O2. I bent and tweaked so many noses. My TO, his partner, and I had many conversations about what I was doing wrong as I, full of shame, sat on the rear bumper. I always remained open to criticism, was open and honest about my failures, and never took any offense to what they were trying to convey to me, even if their tone or words were harsh. I think that alone kept me from being let go.

Id put this behind you. You wanted to know what you needed to work on. Sure you didn't get it from the source, but now you know.

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
First of all, I feel for you. It can be an awkward situation to feel like you are not welcomed or disliked when you are trying your best. I've seen plenty of memes and heard lots of stories of "breaking in the new EMT". It's an intimidating situation even for the most confident of people. I would be upset to hear from someone else who wasn't there about something I did wrong and if in fact they never said anything to me and never mentioned it in previous calls I would be even more upset. Walk right up to them and confront the situation. Maybe they are testing you, maybe they meant no harm, maybe this or maybe that but don't let it slide. Be confident in what you know and ask when you don't. I wouldn't suggest anything else.