Firefighter down EMS training

RebelAngel

White Cloud
I am just beginning work on a "firefighter down" training program for my department. The last time they had that sort of training was at least 6 years ago and the woman that ran it didn't do a very good job so I am starting from scratch.

We have not had a firefighter down on a fire scene in our department for at least as long as the current Chief has been Chief (six years I think) and I feel that they have come complacent. The fact of the matter is many of our FFs are overweight, older (40s), and have health issues like high cholesterol.

I have picked my CIC's brain and plan to discuss with the head of our county's bureau of EMS, but I would like to get insight from people that have dealt with the specific challenges of a firefighter down. My main focus will be on cardiac but I am willing to learn and teach whatever anyone is willing to discuss and/or teach me; burns, fall injuries, you name it.

We are a BLS ambulance squad, in a volunteer fire department, in a rural town of New York.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
FirefighterToolBox has some great articles for what you're talking about http://firefightertoolbox.com/category/general/safety-ff_rescue/
Some articles are more oriented towards extrication of the downed firefighter which I'm assuming that you're not going to take part in. Im guessing you're more focused towards treatment. I would try that first.

Statistics say that yes firefighters suffer burn/ trauma injuries and unfortunately die from those injuries every year, but the #1 cause for firefighter deaths is overexertion/ stress/ medical related factors. Hope this helps you.

OP
OP
RebelAngel

RebelAngel

White Cloud
Thanks!

I may eventually become an interior firefighter but as of right now my focus is treatment.

FirefighterToolBox has some great articles for what you're talking about http://firefightertoolbox.com/category/general/safety-ff_rescue/
Some articles are more oriented towards extrication of the downed firefighter which I'm assuming that you're not going to take part in. Im guessing you're more focused towards treatment. I would try that first.

Statistics say that yes firefighters suffer burn/ trauma injuries and unfortunately die from those injuries every year, but the #1 cause for firefighter deaths is overexertion/ stress/ medical related factors. Hope this helps you.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic