FDNY EMS Candidates

TheMedicLife

Forum Captain
What to expect from your fittings at The Quarter Master.

5 Dark blue button up shirts
6 black polos (1 you bring home for rotations)

2 light blue shirts ( short sleeved )
1 light blue shirt ( long sleeved )
5 black work pants
1 Pair of Duty boots
1 Class A Pants
1 Class A Jacket
1 Rain Coat
1 Work Sweatshirt ([the one where you zip up from the chest up])
1 BI Jacket
Duty Boots
Class A boots
Bunker Gear (pants & Jacket [both loaners]) (You get yours with your name on it, at the end of the academy)
Helmet
Work Gloves
Red Bag to put your bunker gear, helmet and work gloves in
Tie
Tie Clip
Cover (hat)
2 collar brass
1 cover shield
3 FDNY PT Shirts
2 FDNY PT Shorts
1 FDNY red PT sweat pant
1 FDNY red sweat shirt
White gloves (part of class A)
2 Belts. Smooth one is to be worn as part of your uniform. The other one is your duty belt so you can put your buff **** on it and wear it over your uniform belt in the field.
Bullet resistant vest (which you receive at the end of the academy)

Duffel bag is available for purchase, you are required to have a black duffel bag with nothing on it (no nike check, under armour logo, NOTHING). It costs about 35$ AT quartermasters to purchase if you want. This is for carrying your books and supplies and YOU WILL NEED IT

I believe that is EVERYTHING I may be missing 1 or two items, but I am not 100% sure.
Everything that is BOLD, ITALICIZED, AND UNDERLINED are things that you leave with them at quartermaster so that they can put your names into it for the end of the academy. Everything else, you bring home.

For your locker, i suggest you bring extra change of clothes, just in case anything happens.

Leave your red bag in your locker with the bunker pants, bunker jacket, work gloves. ( PUT YOUR NAME ON EVERYTHING ! )

If you need to shave a lot, then leave a set of razors and shaving cream in your locker. (i always did it before i got to work anyway, but you can look after your buddies in case they forget or they need to shave).

Leave deodorant in your locker ( don't smell like ****, people will hate you, lol.)
Make sure you bring your pt shirts and shorts home after pt days and wash them, PLEASE!

You may want to have the squad leader to buy a cover, because people WILL forget to wear it. There are 15 people in a squad and if everyone chipped in 3 or 4 $, then that will be more than enough for extra stuff. I do not know how squad leaders are chosen, so don't even ask me that, haha.

If you can afford to leave your running shoes in your locker, do so. so that you wont forget.

My advice so that you don't forget anything at home when the academy starts, is to leave your stuff in your car. Put your tie and tie clip into your cover and leave it in your car.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR CREDENTIALS WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES (DRIVERS LICENSE, DEPARTMENT ID, AND EMT CARD)
AND RESPECT EVERYONE (It will save your *** and it is only right that you do so)
NO PHONES

Pretty sure this is all for now. Any questions. leave them here.

Congrats to all who got in, and Good Luck!

Sweet Tee

Forum Crew Member

5 black work pants
1 Pair of Duty boots
1 Class A Pants
1 Class A Jacket
1 Rain Coat
1 BI Jacket
Duty Boots
Class A boots
Bunker Gear (pants & Jacket [both loaners]) (You get yours with your name on it, at the end of the academy)
Helmet
Work Gloves
Tie
Tie Clip
Cover (hat)
2 collar brass
1 cover shield
3 FDNY PT Shirts
2 FDNY PT Shorts
1 FDNY red PT sweat pant
1 FDNY red sweat shirt
2 Belts. Smooth one is to be worn as part of your uniform. The other one is your duty belt so you can put your buff **** on it and wear it over your uniform belt in the field.

Duffel bag is available for purchase, you are required to have a black duffel bag with nothing on it (no nike check, under armour logo, NOTHING). It costs about 35$ AT quartermasters to purchase if you want. This is for carrying your books and supplies and YOU WILL NEED IT

I believe that is EVERYTHING I may be missing 1 or two items, but I am not 100% sure.
Everything that is BOLD, ITALICIZED, AND UNDERLINED are things that you leave with them at quartermaster so that they can put your names into it for the end of the academy. Everything else, you bring home.

For your locker, i suggest you bring extra change of clothes, just in case anything happens.

Leave your red bag in your locker with the bunker pants, bunker jacket, work gloves. ( PUT YOUR NAME ON EVERYTHING ! )

If you need to shave a lot, then leave a set of razors and shaving cream in your locker. (i always did it before i got to work anyway, but you can look after your buddies in case they forget or they need to shave).

Leave deodorant in your locker ( don't smell like ****, people will hate you, lol.)
Make sure you bring your pt shirts and shorts home after pt days and wash them, PLEASE!

You may want to have the squad leader to buy a cover, because people WILL forget to wear it. There are 15 people in a squad and if everyone chipped in 3 or 4 $, then that will be more than enough for extra stuff. I do not know how squad leaders are chosen, so don't even ask me that, haha.

If you can afford to leave your running shoes in your locker, do so. so that you wont forget.

My advice so that you don't forget anything at home when the academy starts, is to leave your stuff in your car. Put your tie and tie clip into your cover and leave it in your car.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR CREDENTIALS WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES (DRIVERS LICENSE, DEPARTMENT ID, AND EMT CARD)
AND RESPECT EVERYONE (It will save your *** and it is only right that you do so)
NO PHONES

Great! Thanks so much for this!

Question for those of you that have done the AM class. I know a lot of ppl have said to bring toiletries for showering for the PM class. But would you recommend that also for the AM class? Can we shower before we leave? Especially if we aren't going home after

TheMedicLife

Forum Captain
Great! Thanks so much for this!

Question for those of you that have done the AM class. I know a lot of ppl have said to bring toiletries for showering for the PM class. But would you recommend that also for the AM class? Can we shower before we leave? Especially if we aren't going home after

I am in the AM class and PT is done at the end of class and then you are dismissed, so no, but have toiletries just the same in case of accidents. as well as a fresh change of clothes. Buy some good running shoes and always have a pair of fresh white socks in your locker as well.to always keep in your locker.

Parking for the AM class is no problem, make sure you get there for the 6am study group it helps ALOT !

Sweet Tee

Forum Crew Member
I am in the AM class and PT is done at the end of class and then you are dismissed, so no, but have toiletries just the same in case of accidents. as well as a fresh change of clothes. Buy some good running shoes and always have a pair of fresh white socks in your locker as well.to always keep in your locker.

Parking for the AM class is no problem, make sure you get there for the 6am study group it helps ALOT !
Ok thanks!

SIEMTB

Forum Lieutenant
Anyone know if they started calling into 6003 yet?
No but I know my two friends got the calls and they were both much earlier on the exam 5003 like 20X and 85X so like we all said, there are a lot more people available to call from 5003 then where they left off from 1400 to 1618

TheMedicLife

Forum Captain
No but I know my two friends got the calls and they were both much earlier on the exam 5003 like 20X and 85X so like we all said, there are a lot more people available to call from 5003 then where they left off from 1400 to 1618

Exactly, a friend of mine was #79X but they were waiting for more paperwork and he was just finally called for Oct 31st class.
So if they hit 6003 it will be in the real low numbers, if that.
So more or less for late January or Feb (depending when ) 2017 class

acoustony

Forum Lieutenant
Exactly, a friend of mine was #79X but they were waiting for more paperwork and he was just finally called for Oct 31st class.
So if they hit 6003 it will be in the real low numbers, if that.
So more or less for late January or Feb (depending when ) 2017 class
Yea , got my hopes up when you said they might reach into the 100's ha

irene diakos

Forum Probie

5 black work pants
1 Pair of Duty boots
1 Class A Pants
1 Class A Jacket
1 Rain Coat
1 BI Jacket
Duty Boots
Class A boots
Helmet
Work Gloves
Tie
Tie Clip
Cover (hat)
2 collar brass
1 cover shield
3 FDNY PT Shirts
2 FDNY PT Shorts
1 FDNY red PT sweat pant
1 FDNY red sweat shirt

NO PHONES

Question: day of orientation, what pants, socks and shoes do u wear?

And on the first day of academy, what do u wear as well?!
What needs to come with us on first day of academy?

I have a nose ring in but it's like a retainer; it's clear with a little stone on it. Will I be made to take it off or can I keep it in?

TheMedicLife

Forum Captain

I have a nose ring in but it's like a retainer; it's clear with a little stone on it. Will I be made to take it off or can I keep it in?

Only wedding rings are allowed...Nose rings, gold chains ( regardless if it is a crucifix ) Ear Gages are not allowed in the academy. regardless on how small.

First day of the Academy is usually the Long sleeve dress light blue shirt, work pants Tie and tie clip. Smooth belt, work boots and cover with ID clipped onto pocket/
And the black duffle bag that you purchase at Quarter Master you must bring, Notebook pencils and pens Lunch if you are bringing it from home.
PPE (Red Bag which then stays in your locker).

Orientation day (Metro Tech)
DO NOT PUT COLLAR INSIGNIAS NOR COVER SHIELD (you have not earned that yet)
Long sleeve dress light blue shirt, work pants Tie and tie clip. Smooth belt, work boots and cover with ID clipped onto pocket.
The black duffle bag that you purchase at Quarter Master you must bring, Notebook pencils and pens.
Long day but try and stay awake.
You don't bring the Red Bag with you to Orientation at Metro tech,
You bring it with you on the first day at Fort Totten and it stays there until instructed.

Last edited:

irene diakos

Forum Probie
Only wedding rings are allowed...Nose rings, gold chains ( regardless if it is a crucifix ) Ear Gages are not allowed in the academy. regardless on how small.

First day of the Academy is usually the Long sleeve dress light blue shirt, work pants Tie and tie clip. Smooth belt, work boots and cover with ID clipped onto pocket/
And the black duffle bag that you purchase at Quarter Master you must bring, Notebook pencils and pens Lunch if you are bringing it from home.
PPE (Red Bag which then stays in your locker).

Orientation day (Metro Tech)
DO NOT PUT COLLAR INSIGNIAS NOR COVER SHIELD (you have not earned that yet)
Long sleeve dress light blue shirt, work pants Tie and tie clip. Smooth belt, work boots and cover with ID clipped onto pocket.
The black duffle bag that you purchase at Quarter Master you must bring, Notebook pencils and pens.
Long day but try and stay awake.
You don't bring the Red Bag with you to Orientation at Metro tech,
You bring it with you on the first day at Fort Totten and it stays there until instructed.
Thank you so much. All this will be explained on the day I go in for the paperwork right? And what building number is quarter master?! I want to make sure I go to the right building

Sweet Tee

Forum Crew Member

I have a nose ring also. It's really tiny. I'm going to put a clear stem in it

TheMedicLife

Forum Captain
Thank you so much. All this will be explained on the day I go in for the paperwork right? And what building number is quarter master?! I want to make sure I go to the right building

No worries, they will give you instructions on everything and where it is located.
(Black socks I forgot to write in previous post, when you asked)

irene diakos

Forum Probie
No worries, they will give you instructions on everything and where it is located.
(Black socks I forgot to write in previous post, when you asked)
Awesome thank you so much for the help !! And do u know what building number wuarter master is when I get to fort totten?

TheMedicLife

Forum Captain
I have a nose ring also. It's really tiny. I'm going to put a clear stem in it

Listen do yourself and your squad a favor, (Don't be the reason your squad is punished for not following the rules)
Piercings regardless of how small are not allowed. They see it, trust me they will call you out on it. So why put yourself in that situation.
you waited so long to get the call, make the experience a good one.