FDNY EMS Candidates

FDHOPEFUL33

Forum Captain
Your right, I just saw it on the website. This wait is killing me! We're not even ganna hear anything until July cause the academy starts so late in the month. When it gets close to calls going out does your investigator call/email you saying anything? Or if I make it, am i just ganna get "the" call? I understand no news is good news
You'll get a call 2-3 weeks before start of academy asking if you're still interested, ask if you've changed addresses,jobs, been arrested, ticketed and all that. But no your investigator won't email you. What's your list number? You're off 5003 exam?

thatdorkyemt_

Forum Captain
Thank you everyone. I just didnt think it was a good idea to bring up because the July Academy is so close and part of the trigger for this attack was weather related

SIemt

Forum Crew Member
Is your friend an fdny emt on the job right now?hes gonna take open competitive and the promotional exam? He needs to not be 29 before the date of filing.
yea hes on the job right now hes been on the job for like 4 years, he just hopes hes done with the whole hiring process before hes 29

SIemt

Forum Crew Member
yea hes on the job right now hes been on the job for like 4 years, he just hopes hes done with the whole hiring process before hes 29
Basically, if hes 26 taking the promotional, he has a good chance of getting on fire is what im gathering from this

FDNY402

Forum Crew Member
You'll get a call 2-3 weeks before start of academy asking if you're still interested, ask if you've changed addresses,jobs, been arrested, ticketed and all that. But no your investigator won't email you. What's your list number? You're off 5003 exam?

#998 I finshed all the process back in March, and I handed everything in. Haven't heard from my investigator in months

Joseph taye

Forum Probie
Hey everyone just wanted to post my story for anyone wondering about weight.
When you go to the medical you need to have your BMI at 29. Google BMI calculator to figure it out. When I went to the medical I was about 40 pounds over the BMI, terrible I know. They say come in in 30 days for a reweigh to get down to the goal weight. If you manage to drop most of the weight they may give you an extra week or so to drop the rest. If NOT, like me, you become disqualified and need to file for another reweigh. They claim they will contact you in 30-45 days with a letter to consider for requalification. Then you have 30 days to respond and then you can pick a reweigh date within 30 days. So in total about 90 days to get to the goal weight
In reality it took much longer than 30 days to get my letter. I was told in December I would get the letter. I got it the beginning of April. Also my number got passed by this last academy. Anyways I responded immediately with a letter back and within a few days I got a call asking when I want to come back for a reweigh. Went in and now I'm all squared away. Medically cleared.
Long story short not getting cleared with weight is a long process and I hope nobody else has to go through it. I'll be more than happy to answer anyone's questions regarding it.
Best of luck to everyone.
So your saying when we first go in our bmi has to be 29 or less? Is that what they told you or?

MelEmtNyc

Forum Captain
So your saying when we first go in our bmi has to be 29 or less? Is that what they told you or?
Yes u want to be under that though at least 28 to be safe also they're not playing in the academy anymore for pt anyone that has problems/struggling with PT will be sent back to bhs for full screening. They're trying to mimic the fire academy with the count on deck and more pt they said we've gotten so much more pt then last class bcuz they couldn't do much in January. We no longer can have phones in locker or smoke anymore on base a few ppl ruin it for everybody smh. Phones in car at all times they did full searches even checked boots

nerdinnyc

Forum Crew Member
Yes u want to be under that though at least 28 to be safe also they're not playing in the academy anymore for pt anyone that has problems/struggling with PT will be sent back to bhs for full screening. They're trying to mimic the fire academy with the count on deck and more pt they said we've gotten so much more pt then last class bcuz they couldn't do much in January. We no longer can have phones in locker or smoke anymore on base a few ppl ruin it for everybody smh. Phones in car at all times they did full searches even checked boots

I am glad. The academy was looked at like a joke when I went through. Where did you do your field rotations?

FDNYEMT

Forum Captain
i know they're trying to mimic the fire academy, but pt is a joke if youre in shape.
A lot of cardio and calisthenics workouts (push ups, planks, squats).
we usually do around 1.5 - 2 miles every pt session.
PT isnt every day after the state refresh part is over. After state refresh part, we do pt when we have OPS and last day of scenarios.

just do some cardio now before the academy and youll be fine.

MelEmtNyc

Forum Captain
i know they're trying to mimic the fire academy, but pt is a joke if youre in shape.
A lot of cardio and calisthenics workouts (push ups, planks, squats).
we usually do around 1.5 - 2 miles every pt session.
PT isnt every day after the state refresh part is over. After state refresh part, we do pt when we have OPS and last day of scenarios.

just do some cardio now before the academy and youll be fine.
Yep but comparing it to last classes it's more PT I actually like it bcuz by the time pt is done it's 5pm for us so makes the day go by so much quicker. Matt did alpha get told no phones also?

FDNYEMT

Forum Captain
Yep but comparing it to last classes it's more PT I actually like it bcuz by the time pt is done it's 5pm for us so makes the day go by so much quicker. Matt did alpha get told no phones also?

Nope. Didnt even know that was a thing for bravo. What happened? (inbox me if you want).
But yeah, PT is actually not bad. It kills time, youre getting paid to get in shape. So its pretty cool. I wish we did more to be honest.

JZHusky

Forum Crew Member
Sup peeps. Does anyone know if all aspects of the qualifying process (PAT, I.I., Psych and Med) are done in list order exclusively? I only ask because I got word of a friend who is behind me getting his medical exam while I have not yet and I'm getting concerned that DCAS may have sent me a letter and it got lost in the mail. Do they contact you if you fail to appear for something? Is there a number I can call specific to whichever office schedules medicals?

thanks for reading

SIEMTB

Forum Lieutenant
Sup peeps. Does anyone know if all aspects of the qualifying process (PAT, I.I., Psych and Med) are done in list order exclusively? I only ask because I got word of a friend who is behind me getting his medical exam while I have not yet and I'm getting concerned that DCAS may have sent me a letter and it got lost in the mail. Do they contact you if you fail to appear for something? Is there a number I can call specific to whichever office schedules medicals?

thanks for reading

List number matters when it comes to going into the academy. Patience is key now. You'll get the letter soon. Same thing happened to me. I was in the 100s and people in the 300s and 400s got their intake before me.

thatdorkyemt_

Forum Captain
Similar boat here. I did my PAT and Medical with those with lower numbers than mine (200-300 number difference) Don't stress so much. They space it out to keep you occupied in the lengthy process that it takes to get into the academy.

Str8dope

Forum Probie
Hey guys after the PAT how long do you have to wait for the next step? I just got my rescheduled date for this weekend (thank god it only took a few weeks.) and then how soon do you get into the academy?

thatdorkyemt_

Forum Captain
Hey guys after the PAT how long do you have to wait for the next step? I just got my rescheduled date for this weekend (thank god it only took a few weeks.) and then how soon do you get into the academy?

Getting into the academy is all dependent on your list number. If you're in the early numbers I would say six months to a year til youre in the academy.

When I did my PAT It was in the middle of the summer last year, then everything else was a month to two months apart. From what my investigator told me I'm looking at July Academy.

List# 11XX
Exam# 5003