FDNY EMS Candidates

Fdhopeful

Forum Crew Member
So what do we get to take home, if it's too much to type don't worry about it
Everyday you wear your dress shirt with collar brass. You wear the hat with no pin on it. Basically you bring home loner ppe, helmet, gloves, a jacket, one duty shirt, 5 pants, a few class a shirts, class a uniform, and a bigger jacket that looks like the class a. Also dress shoes and boots. They give you your ppe bag to put it all in. It will take about 1-2 hours

FDHOPEFUL33

Forum Captain
Everyday you wear your dress shirt with collar brass. You wear the hat with no pin on it. Basically you bring home loner ppe, helmet, gloves, a jacket, one duty shirt, 5 pants, a few class a shirts, class a uniform, and a bigger jacket that looks like the class a. Also dress shoes and boots. They give you your ppe bag to put it all in. It will take about 1-2 hours
Awesome, thanks man. So we won't get the pin or any of the personalized stuff until IF and when we pass the state, correct?

Fdhopeful

Forum Crew Member
Awesome, thanks man. So we won't get the pin or any of the personalized stuff until IF and when we pass the state, correct?
You get the pin but you just can't attach it to your hat until you pass the state. All the other stuff like golf shirts duty shirts and sweatshirt you pick up when you pass the state also. That's also when you get your bullet proof vest and your ppe with your name on it.

Fdhopeful

Forum Crew Member
The academy is actually pretty fun. Way better than I imagined it to be. Just do what you gotta do to get out. Do the right thing. Don't show up late and also study for the quizzes. People will ask you if your going to fire. it's going to be obvious to who is there for fire. Just take the ems stuff serious and try your best everyday and no one will get pissed off if your there for fire. They will also bring up the promotional to fire and medic at swear in day. Don't be afraid to ask questions. It's your future, not theirs.

FDHOPEFUL33

Forum Captain
The academy is actually pretty fun. Way better than I imagined it to be. Just do what you gotta do to get out. Do the right thing. Don't show up late and also study for the quizzes. People will ask you if your going to fire. it's going to be obvious to who is there for fire. Just take the ems stuff serious and try your best everyday and no one will get pissed off if your there for fire. They will also bring up the promotional to fire and medic at swear in day. Don't be afraid to ask questions. It's your future, not theirs.
Is it too much to be super worried about the state practical, class final, state exam? Or is it like if we pass the quizzes, we should be good for the state? All of your info is super helpful. Thanks

Fdhopeful

Forum Crew Member
Is it too much to be super worried about the state practical, class final, state exam? Or is it like if we pass the quizzes, we should be good for the state? All of your info is super helpful. Thanks
My advice is just take it one day at a time. Everyday just focus on the quiz you have for that day. If you pass the quizzes and the final, the state shouldn't be a problem. The state practical is a breeze, they prepare you very well for it. Just relax and the academy won't be a problem. Like I think I said before, do not be late. Ever. That's the one thing that will jam you up.

FDHOPEFUL33

Forum Captain
My advice is just take it one day at a time. Everyday just focus on the quiz you have for that day. If you pass the quizzes and the final, the state shouldn't be a problem. The state practical is a breeze, they prepare you very well for it. Just relax and the academy won't be a problem. Like I think I said before, do not be late. Ever. That's the one thing that will jam you up.
Gotcha. Appreciate the advice and info. Where do u work? When did u graduate

jjay449

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for the advice fd hopeful. I was looking over the information we received regarding our pension/retirement plan and was wondering if anyone else understands the pros and cons of tier 6?

Mikef19

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for the advice fd hopeful. I was looking over the information we received regarding our pension/retirement plan and was wondering if anyone else understands the pros and cons of tier 6?

Con- you pay into your pension for your entire career.

Mikef19

Forum Lieutenant
Well isn't that normal? Money is taken out of your checks that go towards your pension.

This is the first tier that has to pay their entire career. I'm in tier 4 and have 10 years this June and then I stop paying into it. Also, the more you make, the larger percentage you have to pay into it.

jjay449

Forum Lieutenant
That's awful to hear that we have to pay into it. Is this with all btw employees that go into city jobs such as pd and fd?