FDNY EMS Candidates

TeeDub

Forum Crew Member
Good luck! If you're worried just absolutely do as you said. Find yourself a gym with a stair master to able to practice those 60 steps a minute-with a weighted vest, for three minutes (from what I've heard,don't quote me) Good luck, read through the forum.. somewhere here as well I read what the PAT consists of. You got this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks!
Going to check out the PF by me and see if they have a stairmaster and sign up for it.
I don't have a weighted vest (and hoping not to buy one now as they're expensive) so I'm probably going to carry dumbells or just stay on the stairmaster for 20+ minutes.
I'm about 6'2" 240 pounds athletic built so the 40 pounds isn't much for me. I walk that up my stairs carrying that almost every day with ease lol

NycEmt7

Forum Crew Member
Thanks!
Going to check out the PF by me and see if they have a stairmaster and sign up for it.
I don't have a weighted vest (and hoping not to buy one now as they're expensive) so I'm probably going to carry dumbells or just stay on the stairmaster for 20+ minutes.
I'm about 6'2" 240 pounds athletic built so the 40 pounds isn't much for me. I walk that up my stairs carrying that almost every day with ease lol

You got this!! Keep us all posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thatdorkyemt_

Forum Captain
Not gonna lie, the stair master has me a bit nervous forvthe physical.
I run up 5 flights of stairs almost everyday (live in apartment building) and am I pretty big muscular guy, and I'm still nervous. I have to try and look for a new gym with a stair master before my pat in a couple weeks.

It's had me up, reading through this thread from last year

Stair master isn't that bad. A friend of mine from High School gave me this advice and it helped a lot. When you go on the stair master keep both your hands on the shoulder straps and sing a song to yourself in your head. If you don't focus on how hard you're making it out to be. You'll fly right through it. The stair master is the hardest part. The rest of it is a walk through the park

TheMedicLife

Forum Captain
Not gonna lie, the stair master has me a bit nervous forvthe physical.
I run up 5 flights of stairs almost everyday (live in apartment building) and am I pretty big muscular guy, and I'm still nervous. I have to try and look for a new gym with a stair master before my pat in a couple weeks.

It's had me up, reading through this thread from last year

Stairmaster 3 minutes. I wore a short sleeved hoodie and kept my hands in the pockets and sang in my head. Remember touching the rail is auto fail. Breath thru your nose to keep the cotton mouth at bay.
This helped me when I did it.
It's more in your head of fear of failing. Go and stay positive.

Again questions just read back, you will find a lot of answers.

fdnyemt1

Forum Lieutenant
Did anyone who went through the process have any medical problems, I had open heart surgery when I was 5, my cardiologist cleared me for everything and says I'm perfectly fine, just curious if anyone knows what I'll have to do regarding that

TheMedicLife

Forum Captain
Did anyone who went through the process have any medical problems, I had open heart surgery when I was 5, my cardiologist cleared me for everything and says I'm perfectly fine, just curious if anyone knows what I'll have to do regarding that

Take your medical paper work and your doctors letter clearing you for the job.

Teej92

Forum Crew Member
Thanks!
Hey teedub just a heads up for the medical they want you at bmi of 29. at 6'2 240 I think that makes you 31 bmi. I think you can appeal if your weight is coming from muscle and not fat but just keep your eyes out.

TheMedicLife

Forum Captain
TO ALL WHO ARE ASKING WHAT TO WEAR FOR ID BADGES AND PAPER WORK DAY.

Listen you are still in the interview process of the job. Metro Tech is where all the big bosses are at.
So why would you dress like you going to a BBQ ?
you don't have to go in a suit, but go in as you would a job interview a pair of slack/ or Jeans, shoes and a decent shirt would not kill you and be looked upon as a serious and respectful future member of the FDNY EMS dept.
Metro Tech houses the big bosses and trust me they notice things like your seriousness in your attire coming in for your future job.
just food for thought.
( FYI when I went to Metro Tech for ID and paperwork day I was thanked for showing up in proper attire for the JOB INTERVIEW PROCESS all I wore was a pair of slacks, shoes and shirt and sweater).
Appearance speaks volumes.

spaceferret

lvl: pumpkinslayer
Is it possible for the academy to start and your number is still skipped over? Even if all the paperwork is in order and everything? Has that ever happened before?

Rory

Forum Crew Member
Hey teedub just a heads up for the medical they want you at bmi of 29. at 6'2 240 I think that makes you 31 bmi. I think you can appeal if your weight is coming from muscle and not fat but just keep your eyes out.
Looking at the chart at 6'2 the weight you have to be under for your medical is 236.4. That's the top weight they want you at. You ideal weight is around 200. Have had many friends who are loaded with mussel have to drop weight to make it under the top weight

Teej92

Forum Crew Member
Looking at the chart at 6'2 the weight you have to be under for your medical is 236.4. That's the top weight they want you at. You ideal weight is around 200. Have had many friends who are loaded with mussel have to drop weight to make it under the top weight
Yeah. Well I was disqualified for a long time due to me being over weight. Trust me it's not a fun process.

Bnf000

Forum Probie
Is it possible for the academy to start and your number is still skipped over? Even if all the paperwork is in order and everything? Has that ever happened before?

Wouldn't make much sense. If your paperwork is in and everything is in order that makes you eligible. Therefore I don't see a reason your list number would be skipped. However, according to many other folks on here they do not call in any specific order so I wouldn't let that worry you yet.. what's your list #?

Teej92

Forum Crew Member
As long as your paperwork was all good and submitted at least a month prior to the calls going out and if you are within the range of people getting called you should be getting called soon

Bnf000

Forum Probie
As long as your paperwork was all good and submitted at least a month prior to the calls going out and if you are within the range of people getting called you should be getting called soon

At least a month prior? Why is that a requirement?

thatdorkyemt_

Forum Captain
Thanks!
TeeDub, when they tell you that you have to lose weight. Stick to a EXTREMELY low carb diet (20g of carbs or less a day)and high intensity cardio. I went into tie interview process at 5'10" 220 lbs. Came out of the process at 185. It was difficult but it's better than fighting for an appeal which could take years