EMT jobs in Snohomish / King County -WA state

ST EMT

Forum Ride Along
I'm a part timer just getting his EMT cert shortly. I live in Snohomish county, Washington state. Can do King County as well. I take my jobs very seriously and expect to do very well in this career path. But, I've been told by multiple EMS folks to find a place to work quick, in order to keep the skills fresh. Does anyone have suggestions for private carriers, Fire, or other places that can offer strange flexible shifts for people like me? Nights and full day Saturday shift seems workable for sure.

Is it worth it to go fire volunteer if I have no intention of being a firefighter? I'd like trauma/911 calls for the experience, but will likely never be full time. Leaving that to those with childhood dreams of burning buildings, not me. ;) All the areas around me tend to be full time career stations anyways, makes volunteer call-backs neigh impossible.

Private carrier is fine, but who to interview with in the North end (Sno-King)? Should I be contacting them early as suggested?

Am I overthinking this 2nd job? It seems very interesting, and I really like the idea of helping folks, and breaking into the medical field, (this type of work is fascinating) So what it's low pay. Is there such a thing as part time Paramedic, or part time ER nurse?

Thanks for the help! :D

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Northwest ambulance, Falck, and Rural/Metro will be your best bet.

waaaemt

Forum Lieutenant
There are also quite a few Snohomish fire districts that accept volunteers. Districts 1, 4, 14, 27 etc. and North County fire rescue. Stanwood Fire. don't know how flexible volunteer schedules are.

If you're looking for good 911 experience, R/M and Falck's Sno/king operation and Northwest amb are not the places to look. R/M, AMR and Falck are on a rotation with Everett FD so each company only gets every third call. you'll most likely end up doing the renal rodeo 95% of the time. of the 5% 911 calls you do, only like 10% will be anything worth talking about.

Northwest amb is not allowed to do 911 calls because the owner caused a grievance with the County a few years ago, although I've heard Marysville FD has let them take stuff before since they happened to be across the street from a call :p

If you're willing to go to king County, Tri Med and AMR will give you fantastic 911 experience. If you're willing to go to Pierce County, R/M has the Tacoma FD contract.

OP
OP
ST EMT

ST EMT

Forum Ride Along
In school in King County and the material is fantastic. Going to pursue medic after this (likely after getting a year or two as EMT-B). I want more.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Do private carrier medics (ALS) get much work? Again Fire is interesting and I really like the medics I've met through the FD, but putting out building fires, and going though the academy don't sound very appealing. Where else do medics work, surely it's not all ambulance work is it?

RefriedEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Either way the area your looking at has the most openings to choose from out of the entire state, which to me is insanely frustrating because I do not want to live/work there. Probably 60-80% of the EMT and medic jobs posted are in the seattle area along with all the other areas near it.

waaaemt

Forum Lieutenant
In school in King County and the material is fantastic. Going to pursue medic after this (likely after getting a year or two as EMT-B). I want more.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Do private carrier medics (ALS) get much work? Again Fire is interesting and I really like the medics I've met through the FD, but putting out building fires, and going though the academy don't sound very appealing. Where else do medics work, surely it's not all ambulance work is it?

unfortunately to be a medic in King County you have to either be with a FD for 3 or more years or apply through King County Medic one. KCMO is third service, no fire fighting, pay is awesome. But hard to get into. Other third service ALS includes Skagit County medic one, North Country EMS, Skamania County EMS. Private includes Olympic Ambulance, Mason County Medic one (owned by Olympic) , Advanced Life Systems Yakima, Life Line Ambulance and Ballard Ambulance in the Wenatchee area, Cascade Medical Center in Leavenworth, AR in spokane, tri cities, Centralia, Pierce County, Vancouver, etc, and Rural/Metro in Pierce County.

RefriedEMT

Forum Lieutenant
unfortunately to be a medic in King County you have to either be with a FD for 3 or more years or apply through King County Medic one. KCMO is third service, no fire fighting, pay is awesome. But hard to get into. Other third service ALS includes Skagit County medic one, North Country EMS, Skamania County EMS. Private includes Olympic Ambulance, Mason County Medic one (owned by Olympic) , Advanced Life Systems Yakima, Life Line Ambulance and Ballard Ambulance in the Wenatchee area, Cascade Medical Center in Leavenworth, AR in spokane, tri cities, Centralia, Pierce County, Vancouver, etc, and Rural/Metro in Pierce County.

Don't forget Northwest Ambulance Critical Care Transport.

OP
OP
ST EMT

ST EMT

Forum Ride Along
Awesome. Great resources here in EMTlife.

KCMO sounds like a great goal! Also, there's bunches of ALS I see at the above private companies. Hmm.

waaaemt

Forum Lieutenant
Don't forget Northwest Ambulance Critical Care Transport.

they don't run with paramedics though. although if you wanted to go the CCT RN route there is that: Northwest Ambulance, plus Rural/Metro, AMR, and Tri med who do CCT as well. but you need like 3-5 years experience as an RN in an ER and/or ICU..