EMS Tips for young people.

SDrossos

Forum Probie
I would like to say first that if a question like this has posed. I am sorry, but I did use the search bar and didn't find any.

My question is to the veterans in EMS is in this rough economy the chances for younger people to get a job seems like slim to none. I have had my EMT for over 6 months and have been job searching for a while. I have all my certs ADL, TB tests, Driving records, etc. I have been putting in apps. in a lot of places, but no luck. I am also 19 years old, and I live in CA.

My question is: What do you think is the best way someone like me can beef up my resume? I have a lot of the ICS certs which I noticed ambulance companies are looking for, but should I maybe be taking like ACLS?or PALS?

Please let me know what you guys/girls think if you were an EMS employer. What would you like to see on a young persons resume?

Thank you!

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Move out of California and go to medic school...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TopGun77

Forum Probie
The Bay Area is so competitive that landing a EMS job at 19 is realistically going to be difficult, but not impossible. I live in the South Bay and can share some input. I would recommend that you apply to every single ambulance company that you are willing to commute to. Concentrate on IFT companies even though I'd imagine you want to go 911. A job on an IFT ambulance will help you out with gaining experience in terms of learning different disease processes and how they affect the body, lifting and moving patients, positioning patients, operating the gurney, driving, etc. 911 companies like to hire people that have some prior experience on a box. In terms of getting those certs you were talking about (ACLS/PALS) those are geared towards paramedics... I suppose it wouldn't hurt you to get them, but the classes are expensive.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

OP
OP
S

SDrossos

Forum Probie
Topgun77- Thank you for your input. That was kind of the question I had. Its not probably the best thing to spend the money on those certs. I would love to work on a ALS unit, but realistically I understand that working for IFT companies would probably be my best route. Although, I have found that even IFT companies want you to be 21 as well now too. :wacko:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Get your schooling and do EMS volunteer style for a while.

Work towards paramedic or other medical field degree (not certificate), and be an instructor for ARC or AHA and maybe take summer jobs doing stuff for summer camps or as a lifeguard/first aider. Keep active and certified, but aim higher, you are in the middle of the pack for that job race.

I think people need to acknowledge that making a living, and especially a decent living (you are in an expensive place to live, too), for any length of time, as an EMT or even a paramedic has many attributes in common with the dream of being a professional basketball player for a ghetto kid at the park. It is becoming more of a skill set for a firefighter career than a career in and of itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
The 21 yo age requirement is generally for insurance to drive. Some companies hire non-drivers at 18+.

I'm recently 22 so I feel your pain being young. Follow up on all your apps, don't just submit them and wait for a call. The more interested and dedicated you seem the more a company is going to be interested in taking a second look and not filing your app in the round filing cabinet.

The 4 letter classes won't make a whole lot of sense until you have a little more education but there are plenty of Basics out there that have taken and passed them.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Beg to differ.

The age thing is also because younger hires tend to be flakey. They also often do not live on the pay so they call in sick and etc. Finally, their life experience to date does not prepare them for some of the judgement calls that may have to be made.
Hand them a SAW or M-4, sure. Alcohol or keys to a wheelchair van, nope.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
The age thing is also because younger hires tend to be flakey. They also often do not live on the pay so they call in sick and etc. Finally, their life experience to date does not prepare them for some of the judgement calls that may have to be made.

I agree especially when it comes to life experience but I'm sure you will agree that flakiness/necessity of income isn't always the case either.

OP
OP
S

SDrossos

Forum Probie

I understand that, but what about the young individuals like my self who want to be in this profession for the sole reason to help people. It just doesn't seem fair to generalize that all young people can't make rational judgement, but then again life isn't fair. However, I guess the majority is known for that. With your alcohol example though, isnt that why they have drug tests?

I appreciate everyones input.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I understand that, but what about the young individuals like my self who want to be in this profession for the sole reason to help people. It just doesn't seem fair to generalize that all young people can't make rational judgement, but then again life isn't fair. However, I guess the majority is known for that. With your alcohol example though, isnt that why they have drug tests?

I appreciate everyones input.

I will say at 19 and my maturity level I had no business working on an ambulance. Not saying you don't that was just me personally. Even now at 22 about to start my paramedic internship I'm scared :censored::censored::censored::censored:less, even after working a bit as an Intermediate on an ALS 911 truck.

Another thing, most drug tests don't test for alcohol.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I've never worked IFT only 911 so I couldn't tell you.

Not sure what you mean by park medics but I worked as a ski patroller and a beach lifeguard on the busiest beach in my area (3500-4500 patrons/day) before I started working on an ambulance and didn't feel uncomfortable. A very different environment compared to 911 though.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
From what I've observed in the bay area, it's very unlikely you'll get a job age <21 years, and it is because of the insurance. 9-1-1 wants experience, and by doing IFT, you'll learn how to lift a gurney, drive an ambulance, stock the rig, use a radio, where all the hospitals are at, learn your way around the hospital, what they are for, the things they don't teach you in school because "the real learning starts when you are in the field". Personally I find it a joke because you are expected to learn all that stuff (and do) within a day to up to two weeks. Oh well, I believe the bay area is extremely beyond pro-experience; an EMT without IFT experience shouldn't work 9-1-1, a paramedic without 9-1-1 EMT experience is worthless to them, 9-1-1 > IFT even though both have the same training. To a lot of the EMTs here, even if you do the BLS IFT portion of the company with 9-1-1 contract, you're still better than the IFT-only companies; they often cannot tell the difference. Even what company you work for changes what they think of you. It's a little funny cause all the EMTs and Paramedics I've spoken will say stuff like "Oh, the EMTs at AMR really know their stuff", and "ProTransport-1 EMTs don't know anything", "NorCal ambulance EMT's are jerks", "their paramedics don't know anything", "don't work for WestMed!", and really they are all the same, but we're too dumb to know it, haha! It's like high school. I am very pro-education, but realistically, I know it would be a waste for me to go to Paramedic without >6 mo-1 yr 9-1-1 EMT experience if I want to work as a Paramedic in the bay area. Unfortunately, that's how we roll in the Bay Area.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I'm not sure if the insurance thing regarding being 21+ is a national trend or not, but regardless it sounds like that's what might be holding you back. I wouldn't bother taking ACLS type courses, most companies are not going to even be looking for that in a basic. Concentrate on having a sterling criminal/driving record, positive past employer recommendations, and if you can, letting a company know up front that you can work any shift with little notice. They'll love you if you can do the last part.

Glad I didn't have to deal with that in MA, I got hired last summer at 19 and could drive.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
The demand for EMS employees varies widely from locale to locale. I would strongly consider relocating. In one area you're type may be a dime a dozen, but in other areas, you can practically write your own ticket. It's crazy.

Bar none, what matters most on a resume after the driving record and criminal history is your related work experience. Think about it, many places start you at different pay rates based on experience. If they didn't care about experience, they would just pay everyone the same coming in. A fair number of places will only hire with experience.

It would be beneficial to get an EMS job, any job. If the place is horrible, just be per diem and do one shift every week or two. Your resume will still say "per diem" for "X" amount of months or years.

AeonStrike

Forum Probie
I got my EMT Cert at 18 in LA County. I found a job on an IFT truck with dedicated attendants/drivers before I was 19.
And about 6 months ago I just moved to a better IFT company that lets me drive since I have a clean record. Also we do lots of SNF ER calls which are good experience.

But my tips would be to look/sound professional.
Wear a suit every time you meet your potential supervisor before being hired.
Know your medical knowledge.
Be confident you can do the job, many younger people working on rigs are not confident, and they end up doing something stupid and getting fired.
Work harder than those around, prove you can do the job just as well.

OP
OP
S

SDrossos

Forum Probie
Yeah it sounds like that's the verdict try to relocate and find a IFT company that will employ me.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
I understand that, but what about the young individuals like my self who want to be in this profession for the sole reason to help people.

To be blunt, that is often the biggest stumbling block to sticking with the work.

It doesn't take too long, in a lot of areas (typically high-volume) to realize you don't help a whole lot of people but you sure do manage a bunch! You have to quickly become content to do what you can.

For a lot of young people, that's a pretty big bubble to burst and they don't have what it takes to stick it through until they figure out what the work is REALLY about and the role they play within it.

Of course, this plays out with most everyone, regardless of age, who takes a stab at EMS.