Does PERCOM ONLINE have clinicals in LA?

heavenjoans7

Forum Crew Member
I have been trying to contact them but they are soooo hard to get a hold of. Do any of you know if I am able to do my clinical and field rotations in Los Angeles? If they don't, is it possible and fast to find my own so I won't have to travel?

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
PERCOM is notoriously hard to get ahold of if you are not within the program and have an instructor. I do not know if they have sites in LA, but I do know that they will allow you to complete clinical rotations at clinical locations you find and help setup.

Just remember you will have to travel to Texas, or one of their satellite testing centers to complete skills training and examinations.

OP
OP
H

heavenjoans7

Forum Crew Member
hi, I contacted them and they said I would have to travel. How long did it take you to complete the clinical and field rotations?

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
If I remember correctly, it was like 45 days straight. Most days were 12-16 hours of clinical time. I may be wrong, so it would be best to ask them how long it would take to complete clinicals in one shot. Also, realize that there are skill and competency requirements that have to be met. Successful completion of clinicals is based upon adequate skills competency, and contact hours - not one or the other.

OP
OP
H

heavenjoans7

Forum Crew Member
If I remember correctly, it was like 45 days straight. Most days were 12-16 hours of clinical time. I may be wrong, so it would be best to ask them how long it would take to complete clinicals in one shot. Also, realize that there are skill and competency requirements that have to be met. Successful completion of clinicals is based upon adequate skills competency, and contact hours - not one or the other.

One more question, is PERCOM accredited and is it an associate's degree? I think I would have to get licensed in Texas first and I read Texas requires an associates or higher from an accredited college.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
PERCOM is fully accredited, but does not offer an associates degree. Texas does not require an AAS to obtain a license as a medic. You are probably confused with the level of "Licensed Paramedic" that the state of Texas offers to paramedics who have completed a higher degree. Texas still allows anyone who has completed a paramedic program to become certified as an EMT-P paramedic.

However, I would recommend getting at least an associates degree at some point. PERCOM has a matriculation agreement with Kilgore College for paramedic graduates to finish an AAS in paramedic science. It's not that hard to do if you are interested, and I would encourage it - especially if you can get your employer to pay for it through tuition reimbursement.

OP
OP
H

heavenjoans7

Forum Crew Member
PERCOM is fully accredited, but does not offer an associates degree. Texas does not require an AAS to obtain a license as a medic. You are probably confused with the level of "Licensed Paramedic" that the state of Texas offers to paramedics who have completed a higher degree. Texas still allows anyone who has completed a paramedic program to become certified as an EMT-P paramedic.

However, I would recommend getting at least an associates degree at some point. PERCOM has a matriculation agreement with Kilgore College for paramedic graduates to finish an AAS in paramedic science. It's not that hard to do if you are interested, and I would encourage it - especially if you can get your employer to pay for it through tuition reimbursement.
Thanks for your replies. So, if I do my clinicals in Texas, I would only have to do it for the P2 portion right? Because I read on their site that there are also clinicals for the P1 portion which is for AEMT, which I don't really want to do since I have to travel.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
You will have to do both p1 and p2 rotations, unless you are already an AEMT. 45 straight days includes both the P1 and P2 rotations....if I remember correctly.

OP
OP
H

heavenjoans7

Forum Crew Member
You will have to do both p1 and p2 rotations, unless you are already an AEMT. 45 straight days includes both the P1 and P2 rotations....if I remember correctly.
Ok thanks, but 45 for both not each right? And at the end of P2 or both separately/different times? Their descriptions on their site are so confusing :)

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
~45 for both. You can start clinicals after you get through about 1/2 of P1's didactic material, and finish P1 skills checkoffs. You cannot finish clinical rotations until you have finished P2 skills checkoffs though. There are certain rotations that cannot be done until you have completed the cardiology and pharmacology sections of P2.

Awful people

Forum Ride Along
Hey, if you think its hard with PERCOM wait until you are in it. If you think they are unresponsive now it gets so much worse. If I can give you one piece of advice it's stay away, I did EMT B with them, it was awful. They dont stick to their promises, spend your money elsewhere. Do yourself a favor and check some forums on them, I should have, its a costly mistake. All the best.