Bribing Clinical Sites?...

Hotchkiss

Forum Ride Along
Hey all! First post as I just completed my EMT class (3 week accelerated) and I'm about to start clinicals! I've got tons of questions about clinicals as we didn't go over the subject much in class. this wednesday I'm going in for my first clinical shift in the hospital and a good medic friend of mine told me nurses like cookies. Is it acceptable to bring something for the nurses? I've also been told nurses don't very much like EMS student and that to them we're "basically useless" is this true in anyone's experience? Also I'm not sure which forms to bring. There is
-Preceptor CEH Application
-Patient Documentation form
-Clinical Rotation Summary Form
Which of these should I bring?
what should I Bring in general? (I've got EMS pants and a student shirt) but what about a stethoscope? I have access to one. Will I be assigned to a single nurse? Thanks in advance everyone

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Ask your instructor what to bring as far as documents go. I would show up with a positive attitude and eagerness to learn and do whatever is needed to help out the nurses. Depends where you go for your clinicals as to wo you will get assigned to it may be a nurse or a ER tech who is an EMT or paramedic.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Bringing cookies along should be fine, I don't think anyone will see that as "bribery".

Hospital clinicals are simply you demonstrating that you are a decent human being that can work with others. Relax and treat it as another learning experience. You will likely be attached to a technician (nurse assistant), try to learn from them and help them with small tasks.

Wear your student shirt, student ID if you are provided one, pants you would wear to an interview, and comfortable walking shoes. You probably won't need the stethoscope.

Last edited:

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Disappointing that your accelerated class did not address all of these questions and has left you flapping in the breeze.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Bring the stethoscope. ER clinicals are a great opportunity to practice listening to lung sounds.
And just bring all your forms and anything else you could possibly need.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I've got tons of questions about clinicals as we didn't go over the subject much in class. this wednesday I'm going in for my first clinical shift in the hospital and a good medic friend of mine told me nurses like cookies. Is it acceptable to bring something for the nurses? I've also been told nurses don't very much like EMS student and that to them we're "basically useless" is this true in anyone's experience?

Nurses like cookies or any free food, really. They're simple minded: feed them, and they'll be in a better mood. :p

In regards to the relationship between EMS students and nurses, it depends. Some nurses simply don't like EMS students, so I wouldn't take it personally; others like having the ability to teach them. A lot of it can be changed with your attitude: if you come in, stand against the wall, or act like you "know it all," don't expect the day to go very well. If you're proactive, show a desire to learn, and are easy to get along with, the day will go much better. And while it's true that there's not much that an EMT student can do when it comes to patient care, they can help with the basic stuff like vitals, which can help take the load off of a nurse or the nurse's aides and decrease their stress levels.

My suggestion would be to bring all of your forms, as it's better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them. In addition, dress professionally and bring your stethoscope. As someone else mentioned, clinicals are a great time to listen to lungs sounds. Bring a note pad as well, and a pen. But more important than everything else, bring a good attitude. Walls at hospitals are usually pretty good at holding themselves up: there's no need to help support them by leaning on them the entire day. I know the ED can be an intimidating environment as a student, but if you keep your eyes open you'll almost certainly find a nurse who is approachable. Talk to them, and show them you want to learn.

Oh, and bring cookies or food ;)*

Best of luck!

*Not actually required, but it can't hurt too much!