Book question

RebelAngel

White Cloud
When legs are crushed under a slab of concrete, the blood supply is diminished to the cells in the legs. This condition often results in:
a) carbon dioxide being produced
b) lactic acid being produced
c) aerobic metabolism
d) all of these

If you could put your level of training with your answer I would appreciate it. My Paramedic friend gave me an answer (D) but it is not the correct answer according to my lowly EMT book. He says his is the correct "Paramedic" answer, and the book answer is the correct "EMT" answer, so I'm wondering what you all think the correct answer is.

Thank you!

ETA: Here's Paramedic friend's reasoning for choosing D-"My argument is it should be all three because the blood flow was slowed not stopped if it was stopped all together answer would be different"

Last edited by a moderator:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I only see one correct answer, regardless of level. What is your answer and why?

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I never knew pathophysiology changed depending on if it was "EMT" or "Paramedic" :rolleyes:. Ischemic tissue is ischemic tissue.

Take it with a grain of salt. Most EMS Textbook questions are overwhelmingly over simplified to the point of almost being idiotic.

OP
OP
RebelAngel

RebelAngel

White Cloud
So what's your answer?

I never knew pathophysiology changed depending on if it was "EMT" or "Paramedic" :rolleyes:. Ischemic tissue is ischemic tissue.

Take it with a grain of salt. Most EMS Textbook questions are overwhelmingly over simplified to the point of almost being idiotic.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I'm willing to bet the paramedic was completely off-base and used that as his excuse.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I did not want to influence anyone's answer so I private messaged you.

You are absolutely correct. If the medic picked anything else, he needs to refresh on physiology and pathophysiology. You could even use test-taking strategies with those three answers. Two of those answers are directly related to each other, while only one is different.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
You are absolutely correct. If the medic picked anything else, he needs to refresh on physiology and pathophysiology. You could even use test-taking strategies with those three answers. Two of those answers are directly related to each other, while only one is different.

Agreed. As soon as you notice that one answer is incorrect you automatically eliminate "All of the above" as an option leaving only two choices. A 50/50 chance even if you don't know the correct answer.

I want to know what the Paramedics rationale was....

Research the "Ischemic Cascade" for a better understanding of what happens in ischemic tissue.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
RebelAngel

RebelAngel

White Cloud
Agreed. As soon as you notice that one answer is incorrect you automatically eliminate "All of the above" as an option leaving only two choices. A 50/50 chance even if you don't know the correct answer.

I want to know what the Paramedics rationale was....

Research the "Ischemic Cascade" for a better understanding

Thanks, I will!