Bloused boots in ems?

Bryawn

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys, what's your opinion of ems personnel blousing their pants? I always thought they looked cool and professional, but I don't want to seem like I'm trying too hard on my first day as an EMT. I saw one guy at my station with bloused boots but I don't know how common it is.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Everywhere I've worked it's pretty uncommon. Usually only ex/retired military do it from what I've seen

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
A lot of our Fire guys do it, but the majority of our Fire guys are ex military. I would probably laugh if I saw an EMT/medic doing it, especially on their first day.

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
There are two kinds of people who blouse their boots, military and people who really want to be military.

Occasionally I do it when it's a cold night and I'm riding my motorcycle, but I always feel dirty when I do.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
There are two kinds of people who blouse their boots, military and people who really want to be military.

Occasionally I do it when it's a cold night and I'm riding my motorcycle, but I always feel dirty when I do.

Pretty much this.

Also blousing my boots would required me to wear boots tall enough to actually do that, and that ain't ever going to happen. You can pry my work-issued hiking boots out of my cold dead hands.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Never seen it for EMS, though I think even today I saw some for Fire.

During the summer ATCEMS wears shorts 90% of the time anyway :p

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Never seen it in EMS/Fire/PD/sheriff and anywhere else

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
Only at 2 in the morning rolling out of bed and my pants get caught inside one boot and not the other.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Never seen it for EMS, though I think even today I saw some for Fire.

During the summer ATCEMS wears shorts 90% of the time anyway :p

A part of me likes the idea of shorts and short boots, but then I think about going into a house and taking a knee and feeling a squish...

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Shorts look absolutely ridiculous and unprofessional, IMO.

Some areas they are actually encouraged. I know River Medical in Lake Havasu theyre allowed due to temps. Same with my service in Texas. I'm actually waiting on a pair of 511 EMS shorts for if we hit 115*F again next tour.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm in Texas as well. I've just gotten use to it. ATCEMS allows them, but then Wilco doesn't.

I think some of it is that the medics that tend to wear them are 400lbs and are just sloppy overall. Kind of like all these goofballs wearing tactical vests with all sorts of gadgets hanging off of them.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'm in Texas as well. I've just gotten use to it. ATCEMS allows them, but then Wilco doesn't.

I think some of it is that the medics that tend to wear them are 400lbs and are just sloppy overall. Kind of like all these goofballs wearing tactical vests with all sorts of gadgets hanging off of them.

People on ground wear tac vest? I've only seen flight wear them... And it kinda makes sense in some ways there

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
We're allowed to wear shorts. I think it's ridiculously funny looking, but then again, I think wearing a tee instead of polo doesn't look professional, either.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We get normal temps of 120 and higher in the summer neither fire or EMS are able to wear shorts. The only time I have seen shorts is on our medic bike team during 2 huge music events we have.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I no longer have a no visible tattoo policy so I'm good lol