Been offered a job...

uglyjon

Forum Probie
I am just about to finish school for EMT B. I have literally one class left. I am also top in my class and have been offered several jobs from the local EMS companies in my area. Thing is, I don't want anything to do with medicine. I lost interest in this class back in November but I figured I would stay in till we did our ride alongs. Didn't change my mind, in fact it concreted my desire to NOT do this as a job. It wasn't the pt's. It was the medical community that has set me against it. Besides being the most backstabbing, gossipy people I have met in my life (please do not be offended just my opinion of what I witnessed) but also the least compassionate people I have ever met. I understand that this job kinda hardens you but still it seems that out of all the paramedics, nurses, doctors, ER staff that I have met, all but one or two were horrible human beings (I met alot, my area is a fairly large metro with multiple hospitals). Treating pt's like meat or just another annoying call to go on. Again please do not be offended by my rant, it is not aimed at anyone in particular. I do not want to become like that. I am already pretty screwed up as it is inside and would like to keep what love for people I have left. There are other reasons, but this is my primary reason I will not be working in this field. I feel like I just wasted the last 6 months. Sorry for the rant.

itsconstant

Forum Ride Along
Take a deep breath...

...and slow down for a moment, not everyone is alike. I work as an ER Tech and have worked on the ambulance. I have worked with MANY and I mean MAAAAANY other EMT's. You will run into some that may be sloppy or rude but there are others like me that walks around with a smile and enjoys what I do because I care. You shouldn't make your opinion of wether or not you are going to like working as an EMT just based off of others that work in the medical field. I work with lots of crappy nurses and oh believe me there are some doctors that will openly admit to not giving a rats A@# about patients that come into the ER. Ultimately you need to try it out and see for yourself, this is your life and you one chance to live it. Don't be a fool and get stuck or rub people the wrong way. I have to admit every now and then i'll come in contact with a patient that tries to bring me down but don't let it stick with you and bring down the whole house. Bottom line is just do what you feel is right, don't knock it till you try it.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
No offense taken, but if you feel that way, it might be best to go in another direction. At least you're being honest with yourself before you spend a lot of time doing something you don't like. I took a job once that I knew wasn't right for me, but I felt I'd disappoint some people if I didn't try to force a fit. It took me a couple of years to fix that mistake.

Try something else; you can always come back to EMS if you change your mind.

MrJones

Iconoclast
...Again please do not be offended by my rant, it is not aimed at anyone in particular....

By not aiming at anyone you've effectively hit everyone. And, quite frankly, you have offended me by lumping me in with those who don't live up to your standards of care and compassion. Additionally, you're not asking us for opinions, or possible alternative courses of action, or anything else for that matter; so why spew here? What exactly did you think your post was going to accomplish?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I'm not offended. Frankly, I'm about as cold-hearted as they come :) Enjoy your endeavors. Let us know when you find a job that isn't filled with a bunch of gossipy back-stabbers :p

vcuemt

Ambulance Driver
In my (humble) opinion, the desire to do EMS has to come from within, not without.

However, I have found medical professionals no less or more gossipy than the rest of the world. I don't know how old you are, but if you're young and haven't had a corporate experience I hope I'm not the first to tell you that in many people's minds office politics come first. It's just something you have to deal with in any profession you choose. I deal with it by listening without speaking to everything that people tell me about other people and washing my mind free of that nonsense the moment I get home. Don't ever take sides. But knowing how to play politics is useful when you do eventually want to get something done or advance within your chosen life, and you will. Just keep it in your back pocket and play that card selectively and it will be all the more effective.

Thank you for coming to my Life Advice Seminar. That'll be $550.

Last edited by a moderator:

neoclassicaljazz

Forum Crew Member
I've met EMTs that seem heartless and have no compassion but it just reminds me that I need to treat my patients well and not be like those guys. Yeah, I get the gossip thing but again its just a good example of what I don't want to end up like. EMTs try to talk about people behind their backs to me and all that and I usually I just say "eh, its not my business"..for the most part they know I'm not interested. Haven't you seen those inspiring looking pictures with the quote "Be the change you want to see in the world"? ...something like that. Anyway, if you're in it long enough you'll run with an EMT going through the same thing and if you are compassionate and dedicated to PT care, you might be the one who inspires him or her to do the same. Then again, you might be better off doing something else.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I don't think any job can avoid gossip, unless you work entirely by yourself.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I don't think any job can avoid gossip, unless you work entirely by yourself.

That's not true! What about the voices in everyones head?

Amber Lance

Forum Probie
For what it's worth, I almost quit the field because I had a similar experience during clinicals. I was terrified that I would turn into the medic that I rode with, or the charge nurse at the hospital that kept complaining, quite seriously, that she wished she could hit patients. It really freaked me out.

But, you come to discover that the whole field isn't like that. Where I work now, I couldn't ask for a more compassionate group, for the most part. There are always going to be a few who are too burned out to care anymore, but it's ultimately up to you how you react to them.

And, if you find yourself starting to burn out, you can move on to something else.

All that said, if you're in a place emotionally where being around those types makes it too hard to work or the stress is too much, then you're probably right trying to find a new profession. There's no sense making yourself miserable. Even when I was freaked out about my perception of the field, the desire to do EMS was still there. If that's not there for you anymore, then find something that you DO want to do.