Any 911 agencies that I can volunteer for in the Phoenix area (surroundings)?

TheBuffOP

Forum Crew Member
Me and my family just moved to Arizona and I can't find any work here or even places to volunteer as an EMT. I also applied for ED tech positions and no luck. I did attend an interview for a transfer service, but I didn't get hired (I guess my 911 experience wasn't good enough). I miss the rig so much!

I asked a local firefighter/paramedic about volunteering for a fire station and pretty much you will only be an assistant. They won't train you to become a firefighter (back at my home state local fire stations will send their cadets to an academy). I don't know if he is right or wrong, though.

Any help will be appreciated.

escapedcaliFF

Forum Lieutenant
Not much. However you have Baghdad fire and black canyon city if you are ok with the drive. However I do not recommend volunteering for obvious reasons. PMT in Tempe and Southwest are hiring right now for EMTs. Check here ruralmetro.com both are owned by them. If no luck with them PM me I may have an opening in the next couple months with my company. Always looking for good EMTs for standby for events.

OP
OP
TheBuffOP

TheBuffOP

Forum Crew Member
Not much. However you have Baghdad fire and black canyon city if you are ok with the drive. However I do not recommend volunteering for obvious reasons. PMT in Tempe and Southwest are hiring right now for EMTs. Check here ruralmetro.com both are owned by them. If no luck with them PM me I may have an opening in the next couple months with my company. Always looking for good EMTs for standby for events.
Your PM option is off. I already looked into Rural Metro (no luck either), also there is a ton of negative feedback from that company.
TBH, I'm thinking of moving back.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
Things with Rural Metro here are pretty chaotic right now, though they are hiring. They are also hiring part time in Payson. You can PM me, too, if you want. I'll try to help as best I can.

escapedcaliFF

Forum Lieutenant
Things with Rural Metro here are pretty chaotic right now, though they are hiring. They are also hiring part time in Payson. You can PM me, too, if you want. I'll try to help as best I can.
Yeah its out of control. Lots of knee jerk reactions by management since the take over. I watched AMR manager walk into the HQ in Scottsdale and badically told people to pack their office cause it was theirs now. Im gonna laugh when state and federal regulators block the merger.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
Yeah its out of control. Lots of knee jerk reactions by management since the take over. I watched AMR manager walk into the HQ in Scottsdale and badically told people to pack their office cause it was theirs now. Im gonna laugh when state and federal regulators block the merger.

Lots of stations have already been eliminated in Queen Creek and Gilbert and people have lost coveted shifts. I'm surprised they are hiring right now, frankly. And forget about the upheaval on the west side.

escapedcaliFF

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah if they are still doing hiring like the old way they take all the applicants into a pool and then sovel them out between Southwest and PMT. Its a screwy process.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
I wish there was another "show" in town. I want to get back out there so badly. I applied to AMR, but have not heard anything. I want part time. That's probably the reason.

escapedcaliFF

Forum Lieutenant
I actually interviewed for them when i was still up there while burning bridges at RM. They told me straight up they didnt like the fact I worked for RM. I was offered a little more than what I made at RM but only 12s and had to do IFT again so I turned it down. I was told before the interview it was for 24s on one of their brand new 911 contracts when they called me for an interview.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
I feel kind of bad that they haven't even called me for an interview. I'm not old, but I'm not in my 20's, either. I wonder if that has something to do with it.

escapedcaliFF

Forum Lieutenant
I feel kind of bad that they haven't even called me for an interview. I'm not old, but I'm not in my 20's, either. I wonder if that has something to do with it.
Their HR is computer based. Resumes are run through a computer program to be screened. Then a human reads it. Has nothing to do with the age thing. It takes them a couple months to get back to people.

escapedcaliFF

Forum Lieutenant
I dont know then. It took them right over a month to get back to me. Thats the way their hiring process for resumes was explained to me. I know they have been getting flooded with applications for the handful of slots. When did you apply?

OP
OP
TheBuffOP

TheBuffOP

Forum Crew Member
Already interviewed with them for a Mesa position and I didn't get hired. I did read up on them after I applied and apparently they treat their employees like crap and the pay sucks.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Are you young? Like teens/early 20's...

I was a Phoenix Fire Cadet back in 03-05... That was first taste of fire/EMS. It was a solid program and I got to do a lot of training and volunteering. On calls I was allowed to do pretty much as much as the crew was comfortable with, and I was pretty lucky most times.

Most departments in the region have Cadet and Alternative Response (volunteer) programs. I do think they hanged the name of the AR in Phoenix though.

Also, AMR Maricopa County is hiring with a $5k hiring bonus. Just saw that recently.

escapedcaliFF

Forum Lieutenant
Are you young? Like teens/early 20's...

I was a Phoenix Fire Cadet back in 03-05... That was first taste of fire/EMS. It was a solid program and I got to do a lot of training and volunteering. On calls I was allowed to do pretty much as much as the crew was comfortable with, and I was pretty lucky most times.

Most departments in the region have Cadet and Alternative Response (volunteer) programs. I do think they hanged the name of the AR in Phoenix though.

Also, AMR Maricopa County is hiring with a $5k hiring bonus. Just saw that recently.
What $5k bonus! Never heard this when I interviewed for them. I know they grabbed a bunch of people from Rural by offering insane hourly when they first came to town.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
For clarification, the advertisement I saw was for paramedics only.