AMR sutter IFT position?

EMT510707

Forum Probie
I used to work on a CCT ambulance as an EMT for about three years. I don't know why nurses expect so much out of EMTs. The nurse is being paid a ton to setup the ventilator, IV pumps, and stuff like that (oh, can't forget their clinical judgement too); Not the EMT. The EMT should focus on safe patient transport, which is the same on BLS and ALS too. It doesn't take long or require a classroom to learn how to assist them with things like attaching the patient to the monitor, doing a 12-lead, spike an IV bag, etc. Other than attaching the patient to the monitor, most of those things will be rarely done on CCT anyhow. I used to setup the IV pump and ventilator for the nurse by punching in the numbers I see on the hospital's ventilator or IV pump. I would attach the ventilator tubing. If we had new medication, I would spike it and attach it to the IV pump. The nurse still had to confirm that what I did was correct, attach it to the patient, and press start. In my opinion, this is very risky for the nurse. The EMT is unlikely to know the normal dose or values. They can easily make a mistake or misunderstand something (eg the ambulance IV pump is in mL/hr, but the hospital IV pump is in mg/hr). Things like that. Even though I did it, I think it is perfectly acceptable and safe for nurses to not have the EMT do that.
The Nurses i worked with want EMTs who can do at least the Bare minimal, (interacting with Pts, fam and hospital staff) they dont like telling the EMT what to do. They expect us to set up the PT and have him ready by the time the RN takes Report and gets their paperwork all she has to do is come in the room confirm the settigs (pumps, Vents etc) get the Pt off the Hospitals vent and put him on ours. That way the calls get done a lot faster, we dont waist time when we have Code 3 transports. But like i Said it all depends on the RN, ive had a few that dont lets us do anything.

supreme

Forum Crew Member
I am on a CCT Bid at the company i am now, we dont really do anything different or outside our "EMT Scope of Practice" we hook up the patients into the monitor, Prepare the Vents, transfer the Pts onto our gurney. Its better than running Dialysis calls all day

exactly, which is why I'm thinking of applying for AMR Sutter IFT

supreme

Forum Crew Member
It all depends on the Nurse some let us do more than others, with some nurses i flud the lines switch pumps, set up Vents, etc.. With others i just do a 4 lead Bp, Sp02 , and Print a strip. I am looking to get on a dedicated CCT wit AMR or Become an FTO. But well see on Monday what happens.

keep us updated please! I would definitely apply if I could get on a dedicated CCT right away, I need a change of pace

EMT510707

Forum Probie
I used to work on a CCT ambulance as an EMT for about three years. I don't know why nurses expect so much out of EMTs. The nurse is being paid a ton to setup the ventilator, IV pumps, and stuff like that (oh, can't forget their clinical judgement too); Not the EMT. The EMT should focus on safe patient transport, which is the same on BLS and ALS too. It doesn't take long or require a classroom to learn how to assist them with things like attaching the patient to the monitor, doing a 12-lead, spike an IV bag, etc. Other than attaching the patient to the monitor, most of those things will be rarely done on CCT anyhow. I used to setup the IV pump and ventilator for the nurse by punching in the numbers I see on the hospital's ventilator or IV pump. I would attach the ventilator tubing. If we had new medication, I would spike it and attach it to the IV pump. The nurse still had to confirm that what I did was correct, attach it to the patient, and press start. In my opinion, this is very risky for the nurse. The EMT is unlikely to know the normal dose or values. They can easily make a mistake or misunderstand something (eg the ambulance IV pump is in mL/hr, but the hospital IV pump is in mg/hr). Things like that. Even though I did it, I think it is perfectly acceptable and safe for nurses to not have the EMT do that.[/QUOTE

EMT510707

Forum Probie
keep us updated please! I would definitely apply if I could get on a dedicated CCT right away, I need a change of pace
You should apply we will be the First EMTs hired in this devision we will have the Most seniority over anyone else you would be able to pick and choose your shift maybe youll get the CCT shift you want.

EMT707

Forum Crew Member
Supreme, what area are you out of? I could possibly get you in touch with the hiring coordinator.

NewMedic11b

Forum Probie
Yep. I didn't get the job, my other coworkers got hired the same day of the interview too. Aww well, it was a good experience, I just need to practice interviewing in general.

Good luck everyone.

How is AMR about reapplying there? I know when I applied for a different AMR division and didn't get it, I had to wait 6 months until I could reapply again. Sutter have something similar?

EMT707

Forum Crew Member
I would definitely re apply under the Sutter division. I too applied for several positions previously and did not hear back, and was still selected for this position.

NewMedic11b

Forum Probie
What kind of opportunities are there for medics? I looked online and it looks like they are only hiring EMTs right now.

EMT707

Forum Crew Member
Ah, I didn't realize you were a medic. Unfortunately I don't believe the Sutter Division will be utilizing medics as it's mostly just BLS and CCT.

I'm of course not the official word on that, I'm simply a new hire down at the bottom. Hope this helped.

NewMedic11b

Forum Probie
I'd be down to get hired as an EMT if they allow it haha. Any idea what their 911 is like for the lucky few that get it? Does fire run the show or does AMR hold medical command?

EMT707

Forum Crew Member
I'm sure as long as you're legally able to work as an EMT and hold the qualifications you could do that. ha ha. Never really thought about it. It IS in the contract verbiage that we get cycled into 911 before public announcements, so there is that. From what I've seen the line crew's work pretty well with each other. There hasn't been any 'who's in charge' tension. Especially in Contra Costa where they are sporting Contra Costa Fire Ambulances.
CVwVDw0WEAEFjsP.jpg

EMT Loris

Forum Probie
I'm just curious if anybody who has been hired here is liking it so far. I've run in to a couple of crews in the field and they seemed fairly upbeat, but they were definitely very new. How's the equipment, posting and pay? The CCT rigs are definitely nice!(nicer than our poorly layed-out, red, 'fire' rigs lol)

EMT Loris

Forum Probie
Criticizing your current (easily identifiable) employer while asking about a different position is a bold move...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see nothing bold about that statement...also a position I'm purely curious about, obviously not one I'm going to pursue.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
I see nothing bold about that statement...also a position I'm purely curious about, obviously not one I'm going to pursue.
I dunno. Was just an observation, I suppose. Seems like it would be easy enough to ask about the other position without identifying (and speaking poorly of) your current service. If I were AMR CoCo management and saw this, I'd probably be curious about who EMT Loris is. Probably wouldn't be too tough to figure out since you identified yourself as a recent hire in your first post back in March.

EMT Loris

Forum Probie
I dunno. Was just an observation, I suppose. Seems like it would be easy enough to ask about the other position without identifying (and speaking poorly of) your current service. If I were AMR CoCo management and saw this, I'd probably be curious about who EMT Loris is. Probably wouldn't be too tough to figure out since you identified yourself as a recent hire in your first post back in March.

I suppose if they wanted to investigate the 70 emts that were hired for the person bashing their ambulance layout that would be their right. But if we could get back to my original question...

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
I suppose if they wanted to investigate the 70 emts that were hired for the person bashing their ambulance layout that would be their right. But if we could get back to my original question...
Disregard. I'm sure you're right and will do just fine wherever you're at.