Ambulance Driver's Certificate in California

sonic19

Forum Crew Member
Hey all,

So I'm trying to get Ambulance Driver Certificate and I just need some clarifications.
I just went to the DMV to pick up a $5 handbook and the lady gave me three forms: Driver license or identification card application, live scan request form, and medical examination report.
I asked her if I needed to make an appt for written exam and she told me no, it isn't necessary but she did not expand.

If anyone from California has gone through this process, would you mind just walking me through exact steps of what I need to do to get the Ambulance Driver Certificate?

I understand I have to complete the three forms but when will I know DMV has received live scan from DOJ? Will they call me or send me a mail? I'm asking this because the live scan for OC EMS, they don't really update you; it's on their website.
And do I literally just walk in for the written exam like the lady told me to? or should I make an appointment?
And after I take the exam, how soon will I find out if I passed, and when will I get certification?

Thanks a lot in advance, I know this is a lot of questions.. haha :)
(I did check other threads and posts, nothing really answers all these questions)

edit: actually, is Ambulance Driver Certificate even necessary to apply? I'm finding a lot of ambulance companies hire you without it but you need to get it soon after you get hired

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
1. Get your livescan done and keep the receipt.
2. Get your medical clearance form filled out correctly and the attached green card.
3. Fill out the application for the ambulance certificate.
4. Turn in all the above forms/receipts to the DMV.
5. Pay for and take the test (you will immediately know if you pass or fail. They grade the test in front of you).
6. You will get a pink temporary certificate if you pass. The main cert will be sent off to be approved when your livescan comes back in.

If your DMV is normally crowded then yes make an appointment.
As far as I know the DMV will not notify you when your livescan is complete.

Some placed require the ambulance cert in order to apply or get hired and others do not require it (but will have you complete it before you can drive the ambulance).

OP
OP
S

sonic19

Forum Crew Member
6. You will get a pink temporary certificate if you pass. The main cert will be sent off to be approved when your livescan comes back in.

Oh so they let you have a temporary certificate before live scan? I see.
Thank you so much for the reply, it answered all my questions and makes my job much easier from now on. Cheers!! :)

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Oh so they let you have a temporary certificate before live scan? I see.
Thank you so much for the reply, it answered all my questions and makes my job much easier from now on. Cheers!! :)

No you need to have the livescan done before you go to take the test. The results don't have to be in yet. The DMV wants a copy of the livescan application that has been filled in by the place that did your fingerprints.

OP
OP
S

sonic19

Forum Crew Member
No you need to have the livescan done before you go to take the test. The results don't have to be in yet. The DMV wants a copy of the livescan application that has been filled in by the place that did your fingerprints.

Yes that's what I meant, my mistake. Thanks!!:)