AEMT to EMT-I Reciprocity?

Altered Mental Status

Forum Crew Member
Hey, y'all. I'm an EMT (Formerly EMT-B). I live in Mobile, AL where I'm currently attending school for Advanced EMT (AEMT). Alabama just adopted these new standards this year and ours is the first class to be graduating AEMT.

My problem is that when I finish up and pass Registry, I'm going to be moving to New Orleans. I'd originally intended to go all the way through to medic but personal life crisis has made it necessary to move as soon as I graduate AEMT.

My question is about reciprocity and/or bridge programs that would allow someone with my quals to test at the EMT-I85 level (which is how the state of LA is tiered).

I'd hate for my education to go immediately to waste and only work as an EMT-B. Anyone know what my best options are?

Thanks.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
You may have to call the LA state office of EMS or health(whatever they call it.), and ask them directly. The AEMT process is new in every state, so answers will be few and far between.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Can't give a hard answer, but AEMT is very similar to I85. It passes it with a few skills and drug administration, but removes a few I85 skills at the same time. As Louisiana is an NREMT state, they may be more willing to grant you certification than a state that has their own exam.

OP
OP
Altered Mental Status

Altered Mental Status

Forum Crew Member
Can't give a hard answer, but AEMT is very similar to I85. It passes it with a few skills and drug administration, but removes a few I85 skills at the same time. As Louisiana is an NREMT state, they may be more willing to grant you certification than a state that has their own exam.

Cardiac pacing, right?

Could I take EKG and request authorization from an ambulance company to take the I85 exam?

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
That would be up to that companies Medical Director. I'm not very sure what other states are doing about the AEMT or honestly what even NREMT is doing as far as a scope of practice. All I know is GA has a full scope of practice out for the AEMT, which does NOT include EKG, pacing or anything of the sort. The things added are Nitrous Oxide for pain management, glucagon for hypoglycemia(which can be administered via IM, IV, SC, IO, and intranasal), tracheobronchial suctioning(after an advanced airway is placed), SL nitro(use to be via spray or tablet only, plus now we can take it out of the drug box), and narcan. No I'85 skills are being taken away. I believe after May next year, GA will no longer issue I'85 numbers, though you would still be able to renew the numbers until 2016 when they will require AEMT. Here's the full scope of practice for the state.

http://ems.ga.gov/programs/ems/Proc... - Updated 7-1-2011 - ALL LEVELS (no EMR).pdf

OP
OP
Altered Mental Status

Altered Mental Status

Forum Crew Member
Acadian Ambulance in Orleans Parish told me AEMT will be required starting in 2013. That means sometime in the coming year, they'll start honoring my AEMT license, no doubt. There'll be a nice, little window of time when I'll be a little more employable than the next guy.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
Different states may have different time lines. GA is known for being...well, alittle slow sometimes.