Advice for high school students

NoahW5394

Forum Probie
Hello all, this will make my first post on EMTlife.

I am still in hs and would like to find some not so basic medical training. Emergency medical is a field that interests me, and I would like to get some formal training. This is both for the "just in case box" and to get my feet wet and see if I am interested in pursuing it further.

I realized that in my state (TN) you can be a certified EMR at age 17. It seems like there's quite a few places that offer this training online, with an in person exercise at the end. I have yet to find one within a couple hours of me. I am interested in any medical training I can get, EMR came to mind because it does carry a certification. Any advice on classes (online or in person) or other resources would be useful. Also, any advice you would give to a high school student considering a career in emergency medical would be great to hear.

Thanks in advance!

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Go to EMT, go to college, go to paramedic school and take bio sciences. Don't do drugs, smoke or knock up strange women early in life. Exercise. Strongly consider the military as a conduit to do these things without crippling debt. Don't get dumb tattoos.

OP
OP
N

NoahW5394

Forum Probie
Go to EMT, go to college, go to paramedic school and take bio sciences. Don't do drugs, smoke or knock up strange women early in life. Exercise. Strongly consider the military as a conduit to do these things without crippling debt. Don't get dumb tattoos.

Thanks for the good advice here RocketMedic! Any ideas for how I can get my feet wet in medical now?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Go try to volunteer somewhere. Either a volunteer fire/EMS department, or I've even seen volunteers in the ER on occasion.