ACLS or AMLS

OP
OP
ViolynEMT

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
Also, AMLS class is much harder to find than ACLS. (At least around major cities).
I would certainly put AMLS before ACLS if both classes are available.

I have access to both. I think what I might do is to keep studying pharm and ekg on my own (with a tutor) and take classes a little at a time to spread out the cost. I may never be able to go to medic school, but there is no reason why I can't learn as much as possible on a budget. I just like to learn. I'll do it for me.

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
I have access to both. I think what I might do is to keep studying pharm and ekg on my own (with a tutor) and take classes a little at a time to spread out the cost. I may never be able to go to medic school, but there is no reason why I can't learn as much as possible on a budget. I just like to learn. I'll do it for me.
You seem like an determined person who is fully capable of going to medic school and passing with flying colors. If you can get a bachelors degree, i see no reason why you couldn't become a medic if you try. It's your choice, but never automatically dismiss possibilities just because of financial/time constraints.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Take a class.

Haven't you heard...

"Give a man fish, and he can eat for a day...
Teach a man to fish, and he can eat for a lifetime."

I get you can study on your own. But why not take an EKG/Pharm/A&P class...

It will be most beneficial, well, if you are serious about all this.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I would suggest keeping your private life private.

Take in the professional advice, but leave the personal reasons out.

Apply it to your requirments as you see fit.

It is advice, not direction.

Into the personal realm, proceed to deal with that issue on its own. Give it your undivided attention, and come through on the other side a whole new person. At that time, worry about your EMS career and schooling.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
In my opinion, especially at the EMT level, if someone asked me where to spend money: AMLS or ACLS, I would have to point to the AMLS class nearly every time. The reason is actually quite simple: you learn to assess for medical problems as that's what you'll be doing more of anyway. Learning to give drugs and the like is a bonus, but for the Basic, you want to concentrate on medical assessment.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
In my opinion, especially at the EMT level, if someone asked me where to spend money: AMLS or ACLS, I would have to point to the AMLS class nearly every time. The reason is actually quite simple: you learn to assess for medical problems as that's what you'll be doing more of anyway. Learning to give drugs and the like is a bonus, but for the Basic, you want to concentrate on medical assessment.
True story.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Preface: I did not read all of the replies before mine. I am replying to the original post.

It sounds like you might be new to EMS or as an EMT. Get experience there first. I took ACLS as an EMT and loved it. I think it can be valuable. Even though you cant do anything with it, knowledge is power, and it helps you be on the same level as your medic on those calls, or at least, more on the same level.

AMLS is great too. I havnt taken it, but have had it recommended and there is a class coming up I am hoping to get in. Had it been available at the time, I probably would have taken it first. Either way, do some homework before the class, as they are higher level classes than EMT and you dont want to be left behind.

Good luck!

Dfib23

Forum Probie
As the people before mentioned I think you will get better value out of the AMLS class. ACLS is just about rhythm recognition and a some drugs. The AMLS class is more in-dept about medical condition's which will help you immensely as a EMT.