AAS in EMS

TheJammer

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys,
I want to become a paramedic but I'm not quite sure where to begin. My local community college offers an AAS in Emergency Medical Science and its description seems so vague in regards to what exactly it is that the degree prepares you for. I know it's not a paramedic program and it doesn't specifically mention it being a class for becoming a basic EMT, though it says you get credits for completing courses through a local EMS school.

I just don't know where to begin. Perhaps I'm overthinking things. I can post the link to my community college's description of the course if it's okay with forum rules.
Thanks in advance.

LiveForTheTones

Forum Crew Member
Typically if your college primary objective is Emergency Medical Services, it encompasses EMT-B as well as Paramedic.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
You could try calling them and finding out what the answers are to your questions. They would be the best resource for answering the questions.

OP
OP
TheJammer

TheJammer

Forum Ride Along
You could try calling them and finding out what the answers are to your questions. They would be the best resource for answering the questions.
I did,and they literally told me to call the EMS school for more information.
After reading the forum rules carefully I think it's okay to post the link since I've no commercial interest in selling anything to anyone. (I need 5 posts first,Lol.)
It looks like the college provides general education and the EMS school provides the EMS specific curriculum.

LiveForTheTones

Forum Crew Member
So the EMS program is at a completely different college than your community college? Or is it just that it's a limited access program at your community college?

OP
OP
TheJammer

TheJammer

Forum Ride Along
I did,but I thought I'd attempt to get an opinion from someone not interested in selling me anything.
Every shoe salesmen says you need a new pair of boots,so to speak.
Let me rephrase my question: How did YOU go about getting the education to become a paramedic?

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Went to a college and got my paramedic certification and an Associate's. Of course, that was required by the state so there wasn't a lot of thinking and wondering involved. ;)

There's places that offer a degree in EMS (or something) while at the same time getting people their paramedic cert. There's other's that offer a degree (usually a bachelors) and don't offer the paramedic cert, though they make you have it before starting. Those seem to be less prevalent, and, that I've seen, don't offer an Associates but a Bachelors. Sounds like you have found the second type of program.

Getting a degree (even an Associates) will be better for the overall profession, and, in the case of an AAS is pretty damn easy to do. If may also be beneficial for you in the long run, depending on how your career goes.

If you can find a program that offers a degree AND certification as a paramedic, go that route. If you can't, go back later on and finish up the degree after getting certified.

OP
OP
TheJammer

TheJammer

Forum Ride Along
Well it seems that the community college will supply gen eds and award you with credit hours and the degree once you go through and finish the local EMS tech school's paramedic program. Here's that link I mentioned before.
https://www.stchas.edu/degrees-certificates/Emergency-Medical-Science-AAS
The thing I'm most unsure of is the order in which I should do things. I know I need to get certified as an EMT-B and register for classes with the college before I can even look at an EMT-P cert. *confused*

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
While I applaud your desire to become a paramedic, what you have described is not very complex.

If you want to become a paramedic, you need to enroll in a paramedic program. This is generally done through CC or private program. Either way, they will clearly state that you will receive the accredited training required for a paramedic license.

While you generally do not need an AS to be a working paramedic, if you plan on getting a degree you may as well get it in the field you wish to work. This will be offered by the CC which may (or may not) offer the paramedic training detailed above.

If you want a path to go down, here's what I would suggest:
1. Get EMT cert
2. Get job as EMT
3. Take prerequisite classes for Paramedic
4. Get Paramedic license
5. Get job as Paramedic
6. See how many units are required for AS degree; take them if you like.

LiveForTheTones

Forum Crew Member
From every person I've spoken to about my own path, this is what they have told me as well.
Although, since I would also like to go to the fire academy, they tell me that I should take EMT, then fire, then Paramedic. I think I'm going to go EMT, Paramedic, and then fire though.

EDIT: I am referring to what gotshirtz001 said. I thought it would bring the quote of his post down, but it didn't.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
From every person I've spoken to about my own path, this is what they have told me as well.
Although, since I would also like to go to the fire academy, they tell me that I should take EMT, then fire, then Paramedic. I think I'm going to go EMT, Paramedic, and then fire though.

EDIT: I am referring to what gotshirtz001 said. I thought it would bring the quote of his post down, but it didn't.
I would say do the fire academy before paramedic for three reasons:
1. Academy is relatively short compared to P school
2. Once you get the Fire cert, there is no maintenance to remain current (CEs etc) but the longer you wait, the more they add.
3. Once you get your P-card, you want to be working as a medic continuously.

Trying to fit in an academy while working is difficult and you don't want to take 4 months off; your skills at medicine diminish much more than skills at pulling hose and throwing ladders.

LiveForTheTones

Forum Crew Member
Then I'm going to take a little break between EMT and fire so I can get back into relative shape. I know the academy down here is brutal, and since fall of last year, I'm ashamed to say I've only been to a gym once or twice.
Between full time school, night classes, and a job, my schedule has been too packed for gym. But I know better than to just show up to academy in the state that I'm currently in. Lmao.