15 year old female hit in head with softball

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
To many patients are boarded to begin with, lets not start boarding every kid who takes a baseball in the melon. Any of us growing up before the popularization of video games and sitting in front of a TV all day fell off our bikes, out of tree houses, off of docks, bridges etc without someone rushing to our side with a spinal board and c collar. Unless a significant weight IE their bodyweight, a meteorite or a cinder block has fallen directly on top of their head to disperse enough kinetic energy downwards to compress their spinal vertebra I would be weary of boarding most head injuries patients, obvious exceptions due to presentation, GCS, mentation, co-morbidities/disease progession. OP look up the Canadian C Spine rule, it rarely fails.

This, me and some of my friends jumped off a bridge into the ocean, no problems (coast guard disagrees, natch)

I would probably have not c-spined

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
NEXUS is for people for whom spinal injury may be suspected.

This doesn't even fall into that category. This is common sense.

Honestly, OP, as a child, how many times were you yourself or did you see others, get hit in the head with balls and objects of all different shapes and sizes? How many times did they say I'm fine, take two paces and *snap* Oh there goes my spine. NEVER.

Use a little common sense, mate.

Exactly! When I was 9 or 10 I was running around in gym class and tripped and fell on the pavement. I got some nasty road rash, obviously broke my wrist and got KTFO for a couple of minutes. The teacher picked me up, brushed me off, got me an ice pack and called my mother who came and picked me up and drove me to my GPs office.

I mentioned this somewhere recently, but I can't remember if it was this thread or not. Anyway, the last time I got a concussion I was at the gym. I went tuches* over teakettle and whacked the back of my head on a rubber bumper plate.** After the room stopped spinning I picked myself up and finished the workout. Was that the smartest thing ever? No, not really, but my neck definitely wasn't broken.

If that happened today I would have ended up fully immobilized and hauled off to the ED for several thousand dollars worth of totally unnecessary testing.

* Pronounced took-us, yiddish for the word that is normally used in that saying. I prefer my version.
** The bumper plate is the weight that goes on the end of the barbell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
** The bumper plate is the weight that goes on the end of the barbell.

You're right to explain gym/exercise/sports related terminology to me.

This video precisely represents my level of knowledge about such things.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4i8SpNgzA4&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]