Yep, just failed my NREMT... Now a couple questions.

gsxr150

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys, this is my first post. After learning today that I failed I thought I better join this community for some help. I'm pretty bummed out becuase I smoked the practicals. However, I took almost 5 months off of studying before I took this test...I'm sure that did not help. Grrr...there goes another $70 bucks.

I underestimated this test, and here's why...

1) I practiced almost all of the Brady, pren hall online sample tests, and finished 75% or over every time.

2) My teacher said if I pass these brady samples I would easily pass the actual exam. Humm...not true at all.

3) Thinking I was going to pass I didn't pay that much attention to the questions (for my study now...whoops)

However, here are two questions that come to mind. One was about a breech birth...answers were somthing like "hold the baby in and transport asap", and "tell the mother to push". Another was about an infant with an airway obstruction. It asks "what would you do after 5 backblows and 5 chest thrusts. First off it calls it "chops" I was trained "backblows". Anyhow I answered "do another 5 and 5".

Finally the last question I thought I got right?? It asked about 2-person infant CPR. Options were "two fingers", or wrapping two hands and using two thumbs". I answered the "two thumbs" with a 2-person rescue. Why would it end me on a question I got right?? (or so I thought)

Edit- I'm not listing the actual questions above, but someone let me know if I need to edit. If we can't discuss questions here, looks like I might have to search elsewhere?

Last edited by a moderator:

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
Hmm i would say best way of actually learning it would be to look up the answers rather than asking for them.
And your teacher made you seem fairly confident with that statement, and he/she was misleading.

I would work on scenarios specifically and run them through in your head, for instance you have a breech birth presenting and go through everything including using a medical skill sheet there. This allows for a more logical flow and progress to understand everything, but still continue with the practice questions.

OP
OP
G

gsxr150

Forum Crew Member
Yes, I can read up on most of this but I think there are some trick questions in there too. Like the one about the guy spraying chemicals in the house. I selected "pull him out before you perform anything" (or something like that).

Back to the books. I guess my question is, I'm wondering if there is ONE thing you could study...what would it be. Everyone has their own opinions, but I'd like to hear the ONE thing everyone agrees on.

WarDance

Forum Lieutenant
What I was taught was memorize the skill sheets and answer your questions in that order. For example if you have a chest pain question or something that asks what would you do first and your choices were give nitro, take vitals, provide O2, and determine LOC your answer should be determine LOC because that comes before anything else on your medical skill sheet.

The infant airway obstruction one was probably check to see if you have dislodged the object then do the 5 and 5. For infant CPR it's always the encirciling method using 2 thumbs not just 2 thumbs.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Hey guys, this is my first post. After learning today that I failed I thought I better join this community for some help. I'm pretty bummed out becuase I smoked the practicals. However, I took almost 5 months off of studying before I took this test...I'm sure that did not help. Grrr...there goes another $70 bucks.

I underestimated this test, and here's why...

1) I practiced almost all of the Brady, pren hall online sample tests, and finished 75% or over every time.

2) My teacher said if I pass these brady samples I would easily pass the actual exam. Humm...

3) Thinking I was going to pass I didn't pay that much attention to the questions (for my study now...whoops)

However, here are two questions that come to mind. One was about a breech birth...answers were somthing like "hold the baby in and transport asap", and "tell the mother to push". Another was about an infant with an airway obstruction. It asks "what would you do after 5 backblows and 5 chest thrusts. First off it calls it "chops" I was trained "backblows". Anyhow I answered "do another 5 and 5".

Finally the last question I thought I got right?? It asked about 2-person infant CPR. Options were "two fingers", or wrapping two hands and using two thumbs". I answered the "two thumbs" with a 2-person rescue. Why would it end me on a question I got right?? (or so I thought)

Edit- I'm not listing the actual questions above, but someone let me know if I need to edit. If we can't discuss questions here, looks like I might have to search elsewhere?

There lies part of the problems. You admitted that you really did not actively study. As well for each month one waits to take the test, the fail rate increases remarkably.

I would not call 75% as passing study material. 95% yes.

Go through and be able to answer each objective. In reviews, if your not "acing" I would not assume I really know the material enough to relax.

R/r 911

OP
OP
G

gsxr150

Forum Crew Member
Ridr, thanks for the post. Honestly I know what I have to do...but it sure it a reality check failing this test. I thought I knew plenty to pass the test. We don't run a lot of medicals on my dept so I'm doing this for myself and that's about it. I should not go by "oh...I know enough to pass". That's right out the door!

Wardance, I did select "encirciling method using 2 thumbs". I wish I could remember exactly what the question was becuase I'm almost positive I got it right. However it's obvious I got it wrong becuase the test would have gone to the next question (where I would have failed anyway, ha)

This time is serious business.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Ridr, thanks for the post. Honestly I know what I have to do...but it sure it a reality check failing this test. I thought I knew plenty to pass the test. We don't run a lot of medicals on my dept so I'm doing this for myself and that's about it. I should not go by "oh...I know enough to pass". That's right out the door!

Wardance, I did select "encirciling method using 2 thumbs". I wish I could remember exactly what the question was becuase I'm almost positive I got it right. However it's obvious I got it wrong becuase the test would have gone to the next question (where I would have failed anyway, ha)

This time is serious business.

You should get something in the mail showing you what sections you passed, or almost passed or failed etc. Then you can really spend extra time in those areas, as well as all the others.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Here's the deal with the NR:

Fail once = your school sucks
Fail twice = you suck

Taking practice tests is the worst possible way to go for test preparation in EMS. You should be studying your core material in order to increase your understanding of the concepts that contribute to your critical thinking and medical decision making, which is what the test measures. If your instructor was advising you that Brady tests was a good way to prepare for that, that's clear cut instructional malpractice.

This one is on your instructor. The next one is on you. Now that you know what you were doing wrong, it is incumbent upon you to fix that problem. And more practice questions is not the way to do that. That was a marginally effective idea back when the test was paper based. It is completely invalid in the age of computer based, adaptive testing.

Good luck!

OP
OP
G

gsxr150

Forum Crew Member
Here's the deal with the NR:

Fail once = your school sucks
Fail twice = you suck

Taking practice tests is the worst possible way to go for test preparation in EMS. You should be studying your core material in order to increase your understanding of the concepts that contribute to your critical thinking and medical decision making, which is what the test measures. If your instructor was advising you that Brady tests was a good way to prepare for that, that's clear cut instructional malpractice.

This one is on your instructor. The next one is on you. Now that you know what you were doing wrong, it is incumbent upon you to fix that problem. And more practice questions is not the way to do that. That was a marginally effective idea back when the test was paper based. It is completely invalid in the age of computer based, adaptive testing.

Good luck!

I have to admit it's going to be hard to get away from that study from questions mode. By the way...you had me cracking up about the "fail the 2nd time and you suck".

I took some advice from a few people on here already and started reading up on the EMTBNSC PFD file online. **removed test question answer**

It's funny how more of the questions are coming back to me now...

BY the way...if I pass the next round I'll be on here for a little payback to my fellow test takers.

OP
OP
G

gsxr150

Forum Crew Member
Edit- sorry...that last "test question" was incorrect anyway. I will not post the question. By the way, since I'm a newbie. Why in the world can't we post some of the questions we've seen? I would think this could help the mindset of some of these people who have not taken the test.

tydek07

Forum Captain
gsxr150,

The only thing you can do is study, study, study. If you are willing to spend $40, I found a awsome website when I was studying for my NR. It is http://www.jblearning.com

You pay a one time fee of $40, get the site for 2 years or something like that. The site will produce questions just like the NR. They are actually VERY similar to the NR. I think this site helped me a lot in passing my NR. Not really by teaching me, but getting me comfortable in reading test questions.

Hope you find that site helpful. If you have any question about the site, feel free to PM me.

Take Care,

OP
OP
G

gsxr150

Forum Crew Member
gsxr150,

The only thing you can do is study, study, study. If you are willing to spend $40, I found a awsome website when I was studying for my NR. It is http://www.jblearning.com

You pay a one time fee of $40, get the site for 2 years or something like that. The site will produce questions just like the NR. They are actually VERY similar to the NR. I think this site helped me a lot in passing my NR. Not really by teaching me, but getting me comfortable in reading test questions.

Hope you find that site helpful. If you have any question about the site, feel free to PM me.

Take Care,

Hey there, and thanks for the message...I don't think I can PM you yet becuase I'm a new member. I was and still may purchase a book as well, but investing in something like this might be helpful as well. YES...what I would like to do is study my tail off and then take sample tests that are VERY similar if not the same questions.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Edit- sorry...that last "test question" was incorrect anyway. I will not post the question. By the way, since I'm a newbie. Why in the world can't we post some of the questions we've seen? I would think this could help the mindset of some of these people who have not taken the test.

Because it's part of the conditions you agree to when you take the copyrighted NREMT exam. The Community Leaders here would rather not get into a fight with the NREMT, if at all possible.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Also, just to add its a Board Exam. Not to be rude (please don't take it that way) but maybe you ought to pay more attention to what you read. As in the paragraph you signed that you would agree to the terms of the NREMT?

Even discussing questions verbally or in written form, they can and have taken action(s) against individuals. I have seen this personally.

Anything from not allowing you to ever to take the test to infringement of copyright material and cited.

Yes, its a hush.. hush test. That is what gives it credibility.

Just a word from the wise....

R/r 911

OP
OP
G

gsxr150

Forum Crew Member
I hear ya...and I like it this way. I hate that I failed but I like the fact I need to know this stuff before I'm going to pass. I want to learn!!

Tydek-- you're a very smart man. I went ahead and paid the $25 to get access to the JB tests. This is like night and day vs. the Brady test prep. I kid you not...night and day. I just set up a sample test for myself and see exactly why I failed the NR. Their tests are a very similar look and feel. Amazing. Now as I said before, I can't get sucked into using this test for prep. Here's my new formula which I'm sure will change----

60% Book Study (reading reading and more reading)
20% Sample Tests (preping for the test and learning where I need to study)
10% Practicals (even though I passed with flying colors...just to sink it all in again)
10% flash cards (memorization, HR's, BP's, R's, rule of 9's etc)

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Too many people simply do not know how to use sample tests optimally to learn. They miss a question, they memorize the answer, then they go back and get it right the next time, and they think they have learned something. They have not. Each and every question on that test, whether you get it right or wrong, you should be going back to your texts and online sources to research exactly why the answer is what it is. Remember, those are not the exact questions from NR. They are questions SIMILAR to the NR. That means, just knowing the answer to those questions is not necessarily helpful. UNDERSTANDING exactly what the answer is and why is what will help you to intelligently reason through the similar question on the NR.

OP
OP
G

gsxr150

Forum Crew Member
I have to agree with you on that. See that's what I did the first time... Simply going through the motions on the questions and moving on. This JB test is nice becuase after each quiz question they give a paragraph explaining what you've just done...right or wrong. That helps too...

I'm realizing now that I stuggle with reading the different signs and symptoms and what it could potentially be. A very simple example, but I see the guy has pain here or there and blood pressure one way or another, and I have a hard time saying "oh that must be myocardial infarction". You see... Maybe I just need to re-read my text book? It would be nice to find a source that shows a bunch of signs and symptoms and you match it with a potential problem. What I'm saying is signs/symptoms vs. diagnosis flash cards.

(Thanks for listening and helping guys/gals...this is helping me realize where and what I need to spend time on.)

tydek07

Forum Captain
.....Tydek-- you're a very smart man. I went ahead and paid the $25 to get access to the JB tests. This is like night and day vs. the Brady test prep. I kid you not...night and day. I just set up a sample test for myself and see exactly why I failed the NR. Their tests are a very similar look and feel. Amazing.....

I am glad you find it helpful. Now get studying!!! :p haha

Good luck on your next attempt at the NR. Just remember: Do NOT take it before you feel that you, yourself, is ready. If you feel that your not ready in anyway, you will not pass it. You have to be confident in your knowledge, but mostly in your test taking skills. You have to know how to read a question and break it down... before you can answer it.

Lastly, just relax B) Its easier said then done... but just relax and take it easy. Take your time on the test, they give you have plenty of it! Do not cram before the test. If you don't know it the night before, your not going to know it for the test.

Again, good luck and wish you the best,

WarDance

Forum Lieutenant
60% Book Study (reading reading and more reading)
20% Sample Tests (preping for the test and learning where I need to study)
10% Practicals (even though I passed with flying colors...just to sink it all in again)
10% flash cards (memorization, HR's, BP's, R's, rule of 9's etc)

I wouldn't recommend studying from the book so much. I have taken many standardized tests (and done very well) and I have found that a text book isn't always the smartest way to study. You're going to feel inundated by alot of information and it might not be what NREMT is looking for.

The best thing I have found is to study review books. A review book focuses on what you need to know. It also condenses it into a reasonable amount of reading. The questions at the end of the chapters then reinforce what you have just read.

In high school I took 6 AP exams that my school didn't even offer and I passed them all. I did it with review books. I think that's pretty much proof you can beat a test if you know what they want. You are probably very knowledgeable but you just don't know what the test is looking for.