Working as a Paramedic in Oregon with California education

JPaz

Forum Ride Along
Has anyone here gotten their Paramedic A.S. from CA and then worked in Oregon? If so, do you feel your education prepared you for a Paramedic job in a state with a wider scope of practice?

I am currently an EMT-B in Northern California with a goal to become a Paramedic in Oregon- more specifically Portland or Bend. I know Oregon requires an Associates Degree to work as a Paramedic. It would take much less time- about a year less- to get my Paramedic A.S. if I went to a school here in California, but I am worried I won't get the same education as someone trained in Oregon. I am looking for the best education I can get and have no problem going to school for an extra year, but does it really matter as long as I can get reciprocity?

If anyone has gone through any of these programs and can give some insight it may help me with my decision:
(i.e. how difficult was the program? Quality of the facilities/ equipment? Passionate instructors?)

Schools I am looking at in California:
Santa Rosa Junior College
College of the Redwoods
American River College

Schools I am looking at in Oregon:
Portland Community College
Oregon Institute of Technology
Central Oregon Community College

DWR

Forum Probie
I would say get your education in Oregon if you can. I can say that I've seen paramedics trained in California come up to Washington (where I was trained) and really struggle with the methodology of things like RSI and pit crew/high performance CPR. While I'm sure you will get out of what you put into as far as education goes, I believe Oregon would provide a more well rounded education. Also look into Chemeketa CC and Oregon Health and Sciences University.

OP
OP
JPaz

JPaz

Forum Ride Along
I would say get your education in Oregon if you can. I can say that I've seen paramedics trained in California come up to Washington (where I was trained) and really struggle with the methodology of things like RSI and pit crew/high performance CPR. While I'm sure you will get out of what you put into as far as education goes, I believe Oregon would provide a more well rounded education. Also look into Chemeketa CC and Oregon Health and Sciences University.

That makes sense. It sounds like it would be better to go to school in Oregon, but as long as I put in the extra effort here in California I can still learn what I need to succeed. Thank you- I'll make sure to check both of those schools.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I feel like medics from CA generally struggle in most other systems outside of CA.

Just an observation and opinion.

CA just ruins everything.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
It's not the education if you go to a quality school. It's going to your field internship where you can't do most of what you were taught that ruins it.

OP
OP
JPaz

JPaz

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the input, guys. I'm definitely applying to Oregon Tech. Sounds like they have a great program with its connection with OHSU. I appreciate the help!