Woman Arrested for Swearing at 911

minneola24

Forum Lieutenant
Comments?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj91eeoFOBk[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
I have not seen it but I guess something just got to him that day. No excuse, but everyone has particularly bad days...

And isn't it a shame there is no "abuse of 911" charge? Oh man the number of patents that would be facing that charge!!! (joking of course, there shouldn't ever be a charge that discourages 911 use just in case a real emergency is happening you don't want people to debate calling 911)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
We've had multiple threads in the past with this audio/video:
You're welcome to continue your discussion, as they are old threads, but just an FYI.

OP
OP
minneola24

minneola24

Forum Lieutenant
I have not seen it but I guess something just got to him that day. No excuse, but everyone has particularly bad days...

And isn't it a shame there is no "abuse of 911" charge? Oh man the number of patents that would be facing that charge!!! (joking of course, there shouldn't ever be a charge that discourages 911 use just in case a real emergency is happening you don't want people to debate calling 911)

I thought there was an abuse of 911 charge, at least in my state. I've heard it being said before for the people who prank call 911 (bad idea)

medic_chick87

Forum Crew Member
Holy cow! I hate it when people cuss, and always tell them that it's not acceptable in my ambulance, but still! We have to understand that the people who call us typically have a very good reason too, so I think they're allowed to freak out a little bit. I feel sorry for that family (though I think both parties could have handled the situation a little better...)

OP
OP
minneola24

minneola24

Forum Lieutenant
Holy cow! I hate it when people cuss, and always tell them that it's not acceptable in my ambulance, but still! We have to understand that the people who call us typically have a very good reason too, so I think they're allowed to freak out a little bit. I feel sorry for that family (though I think both parties could have handled the situation a little better...)

It would be best if she never said cuss words but if her dad is having a seizure and this might be her first time calling 911 she probably didn't know what was going on. And theres no excuse to hang up on someone who says a bad word after they cry for an ambulance (or a f******* ambulance)

Sasha

Forum Chief
We've had multiple threads in the past with this audio/video:
You're welcome to continue your discussion, as they are old threads, but just an FYI.

That is a completely different topic.

But the dispatcher handled it poorly. So she cursed, she was stressed out and the dispatcher's behavior was unacceptable, he hangs up on her, and he cursed back at her.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
minneola24

minneola24

Forum Lieutenant
I wonder if theres a follow up case on this, I would like to see whatever happened to the dispatcher.

Hockey

Quackers
He didn't

He was sent for some more training and if I recall had a couple weeks off non pay. Also placed on probation and reviewed for like 3 months.

Old news story

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Sounds like this girl's been watching too much TV.

A la House...

"I need an ambulance at 123 Hartwick."

Instead of actually explaining the emergency and then requesting an ambulance.

And call me crazy, but two rings is hardly "no quick answer".

The dispatcher had no case against him until he swore back.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Idiot reporter.

"Trying to avoid public accountability" and "his boss has NOT ducked responsibility"... you would think someone who's job it is to get PR statements would understand that an officer can't make any public comments without it being prior approved.

The girl also didn't sound concerned in the slightest... more like a spoiled teen.

But it IS Michigan. That's normal for us. ^_^

TRowe

Forum Probie
For those defending the dispatcher, your obviously defending him out of the need to defend your fellow public servant. We all feel that need but I mean come on.

1. It took 3 calls to get the dispatcher on the line. I would be pretty frustrated, scared etc. also. She handled it very well I think for the situation.
2. He should have gotten the details before confronting her about the cursing. Who gives a hell that she said the F word. Her dad, who just had brain surgery, is on the ground. She doesn't know if he is dying or what. I would have said much worse.
3. Hanging up on her? Not only should he be fired but criminal charges should be filed. That is completely unacceptable. She requested a ambulance. I dont care if the person on the other end is throwing out the F word every other word. You do your duty and send a ambulance and sort out the facts later.
4. He started swearing back and calling her names. He is a police officer. Not a rookie but someone of Rank. A Sergeant I believe it said. He should know better. He could have the medal of honor, it doesn't excuse him and allow him one free pass just because he has done good up until that point.
5. He needed to understand the situation and respect that. He should be more cool for a police officer and dispatcher. I wonder if he ever has let his temper flair in the past in the field and just never got caught or his fellow officers covered it up for him.

And just to let you know, Im a member of a Sheriffs Dept. and a medic on it. I know all about helping your fellow officer out and what gets your partner a free pass and what doesn't. But he could have killed someone. That guy could have died. And all he cared about was being unprofessional and getting back at this teenager who said a naughty word. Fire this dude.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
That was absolutely horrible. I've heard several recordings from dispatch where the caller went absolutely off the wall, and the one posted today was not one of them. That was blatant misfeasance, and I believe a breach of duty.