White Cloud

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
Anyone else a white cloud during their rides? I sure seem to be, nothing but BS. Anyone know of an "EMS rain dance"?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Anyone else a white cloud during their rides? I sure seem to be, nothing but BS. Anyone know of an "EMS rain dance"?
Never wish for bad calls for sundry reasons.

OP
OP
truetiger

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm not "wishing for bad calls", I'm just needing them to happen on my shift. Apparently all hell breaks loose after I leave or on the days I'm not there to make up for the stuff that doesn't happen when I'm there.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Never wish for bad calls for sundry reasons.

+1 Regardless of the complaint or reason you're there, that person needs your services. If you work in a 911 system, they called you for a reason, that event is the most important thing in their life at that point in time, and it should be treated as such. I'm not saying get drawn in and make their problems your problem, certainly not, but I'm of the belief that there's no BS call. Some of those "BS" toe-pain calls could land you with the most interesting medical patient you'll ever run across.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
The problem with EMS Rain Dances are...

...it rains on everyone, especially the medic who called forth misery. You DO create your world. I hope you learn that right now, right here.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I'm a white cloud. I used to wish that if stuff was going to happen at all, it would happen while I was working. Instead, it would always get busy as soon as I signed off.

I'm still a white cloud, but now I'm just as happy to sleep through the night.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Very much so. I was the only person in my EMT class to NOT get a code. I went through all my medic clinicals without a code, again, the only one. Finally in the 2nd to last Paramedic internship, I got a code.

I've never had a major trauma, only that one cardiac arrest, and almost everything else has been non-life threatening.

I'll have to disagree with USAF though. Thing is, we NEED those bad calls while in school, while we have the safety net of a more experienced provider. No one WANTS others to suffer, but it's going to happen and it might as well happen with us there in school, to learn, to better handle the same situation in the future when it does happen and you're alone.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I'll have to disagree with USAF though. Thing is, we NEED those bad calls while in school, while we have the safety net of a more experienced provider. No one WANTS others to suffer, but it's going to happen and it might as well happen with us there in school, to learn, to better handle the same situation in the future when it does happen and you're alone.
No offense taken. I agree but I was just reminding him that his interesting call- even as a teaching case- is still someone else's bad (and possibly, last) day.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Thing is, we NEED those bad calls while in school, while we have the safety net of a more experienced provider. No one WANTS others to suffer, but it's going to happen and it might as well happen with us there in school, to learn, to better handle the same situation in the future when it does happen and you're alone.

Very true. Your call history looks a lot like mine. When I get a really serious call, it's pretty darn scary. More experience should take the edge off, but it's rare that I get much.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I'm an epic white cloud....no codes while in my internship.

The most impressive display of my ability to repel calls is when you compare me and the medic that worked opposite me. We worked the same hours, but he was on when I was off. In 6 months he had 4 shootings and 6 stabbings. I am zero for zero. It's not that I want bad stuff to happen to people, I just want to figure out how the heck I manage to be such a statistical anomaly.