Which job?

8jimi8

CFRN
Mixed S\M ICU and IMC setting, 32 bed unit, "Family" style unit w/ average experience [15 years (diluted by new grads.)]. 45-1 hour commute, in the same network of hospitals where I am currently employed. It would be possible to be floated unexepectedly to another floor.

VS.

Level 1 trauma center mixed S\M ICU, Teaching hospital, "Elite" style unit avg. experience 18 years. I currently work at this hospital, 10 minute drive to work. No chance of being floated, but a chance of having shifts canceled unexpectedly.

i haven't received any offers yet, i'm just debating in my mind. Also, if i'm not confident that I would receive offers, then i shouldn't bother applying!

OP
OP
8jimi8

8jimi8

CFRN
EDIT!!

At the first hospital I would start my paramedic program in January.

VS

At the second hospital I would not be able to start paramedic school for over a year.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I loved working in a teaching clinic. I felt like I learned so much more than I would have in a regular clinic.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Are you planning to work as a tech? I would go with the short commute, and work on getting to school faster.

There is just so much more to learn in a tertiary care facility (love that term!). When outlying hospitals send the sickest of the sick to your facility, the experience just can't be downplayed.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Money don't matter?

If so, my vote is stay where you're at, you are surrounded by experience in your chosen field, it's a closer commute for family and you won't be wasting any time while you're waiting for Paramedic school to start; in fact, you're probably setting yourself up to breeze through because that 1 extra hour each day is now available to prepare yourself.

OP
OP
8jimi8

8jimi8

CFRN
Are you planning to work as a tech? I would go with the short commute, and work on getting to school faster.

There is just so much more to learn in a tertiary care facility (love that term!). When outlying hospitals send the sickest of the sick to your facility, the experience just can't be downplayed.

I'll be working as a registered nurse.

oh more info,

the first hospital is a level 2 trauma center

vs.

the 2nd is a level 1

OP
OP
8jimi8

8jimi8

CFRN

I have to say, I do find it attractive that I will actually be able to get some ALS experience volunteering, if I stay at Brack, whereas if I take the commuting job, I'll pretty much just be balls to the wall in my new role and then jumping right into P2 school and be even MORE balls to the wall without having any real OOH ALS experience.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I have to say, I do find it attractive that I will actually be able to get some ALS experience volunteering, if I stay at Brack, whereas if I take the commuting job, I'll pretty much just be balls to the wall in my new role and then jumping right into P2 school and be even MORE balls to the wall without having any real OOH ALS experience.

There ya go. Nothing contributed more to me being a good medic than what I learned in a busy level I STICU combined with concurrent volunteer ALS experience. I didn't have much of a life, but I was riding with my husband at his FT job and we enjoyed it.

Sorry I missed the nurse thing.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
firetender's Theory of Relativity

Since you're already an R.N., there's no reason to travel backwards prematurely!

sirkhctiw

Forum Probie
If it were me I'd stay @ the trauma center. Start the medic program a little later. You're already an RN.

OP
OP
8jimi8

8jimi8

CFRN
If it were me I'd stay @ the trauma center. Start the medic program a little later. You're already an RN.

But this delays my entry into the field as a professional paramedic. I plan on work prn/part time as a medic while I get enough ICU experience to fly.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Mixed S\M ICU and IMC setting, 32 bed unit, "Family" style unit w/ average experience [15 years (diluted by new grads.)]. 45-1 hour commute, in the same network of hospitals where I am currently employed. It would be possible to be floated unexepectedly to another floor.

VS.

Level 1 trauma center mixed S\M ICU, Teaching hospital, "Elite" style unit avg. experience 18 years. I currently work at this hospital, 10 minute drive to work. No chance of being floated, but a chance of having shifts canceled unexpectedly.

i haven't received any offers yet, i'm just debating in my mind. Also, if i'm not confident that I would receive offers, then i shouldn't bother applying!

No choice there, Level 1 academic hospital.

Pick up PRN at another facility.

Nothing against paramedic school, but consider your education/experience to time ratio.

A year at a major center can equal as much patient contact as 5 or more years at smaller ones. With a higher chance of identifying and caring for some of the most rare cases.

As well as access to audit classes like ATLS that will teach you many of the paramedic skills and more.

After a year or two of this if you still want paramedic class, cool, but you will be 1000 times the medic with that type of experience considering in my opinion one of the biggest problems with paramedic education is the low amount of understanding what happens once the patient leaves the ED.

In my not always humble opinion, the major purpose of EMS is to set the patient up for future success. KNowing the longterm future leads to better decisions than just what happens in the ED.

OP
OP
8jimi8

8jimi8

CFRN
Ok i'm at step one.

Got the offer at the first hospital.

I've got until 10/20/2010 to get the offer at Brack.