What was your first call?

Tk11

Forum Captain
If you remember, what was your first call you responded to as a new emt/medic? Searched this but couldn't find anything.

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
First dispatch on on my fto shifts was a cancel. First call with a patient was a full arrest. Welcome to EMS.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The only first call I remember was as a medic during my internship time. 16 y/o female with a Fx tib/fib. Drove up on the soccer field in the ambulance. Started a line and gave morphine all in front of an audience (not how I wanted my first call to be).

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
First call as an EMT was a code 2 abdominal pain for several weeks, 350lbs, waiting for us at the sidewalk.
First call of internship was a 2 patient MVC and we transported both in our unit.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
HyperK with HR in 20-30s. Not my first call as far back as I can remember and very shortly after I started.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
First call was a unconscious/unresponsive. I was the only EMT that showed up at the firehouse, and my card had arrived in the mail about 2 hours before. We went rolling out, lights n sirens blazin'... All the while I was muttering things like "open the airway first" under my breath.

Patient was an obvious, and had been deceased for several days. Welcome to EMS.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Day one of being cleared on the ambo as a brand new EMT we went on the air enroute to the hospital to pickup equipment, this was Halloween night.... Almost a block away from the hospital we got picked up for a shooting in the first battalion, which was out of our normal area. Long story short county cop came home early to find his wife with another guy... Naked guy shot multiple times in the hallway leading to the front door, cop sat down on the sofa and put one round through his temple. Both priority 4, and the cop had 3 kids. Sucked.....

wtferick

Forum Captain
A code 3 MVA located at one of the exits at the mall. 3 patients total. One in full arrest (didn't make it) yup

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
As an EMT student on my ride along, our first call was a child locked in a vehicle. Respond Code 3, get there in like 3-4 min (I think, it's been a few years now lol) and County Fire already has a Quint (ladder truck w/ hose and pump as well) and a rescue squad, maybe a half dozen or so cops showing up as well to this residential neighborhood. Grandma had apparently set the kid in the car and went inside to grab something else before going to pick up the older kids from school, and the kid in the car locked the doors with the keys still inside (mind you this was August so outside temps were in excess of 90 deg already) so they panicked and called 911......and right before Fire got to start breaking windows they found the spare key and unlocked the car. Kid was (fortunately) perfectly fine, Grandma was almost a patient due to how bad she was freaked out but was able to calm down enough after they got the tike out that we were able to clear the scene.

My first call as an EMT for my first company was a pickup from home taking the patient to a doctors appointment.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Bosses office today lol but thinking way back I think my very first call a Basic was to a SNF for something. I truly do not remember.

AMarra

Forum Ride Along
My first call ever was as an EMT student while my father, a FF Lt. was on shift. About 10 minutes into our shift we had an 80 something year old seizure. I was terrified because I could feel my dad behind me just staring. Good times.

OP
OP
T

Tk11

Forum Captain
These were fun to read. I start my first job as an emt in 2 weeks and hopefully the first call I go on isn't as bad as some of these I read! The stuff I went on as a student were boring and basic calls so I'm excited to get out there.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
I forgot, my real first call first EMT ride along was a 2 year old who pulled a lot of boiling water over herself, partial thickness burns over 60-70% and when you picked her up her skin peeled away.

AMarra

Forum Ride Along
I forgot, my real first call first EMT ride along was a 2 year old who pulled a lot of boiling water over herself, partial thickness burns over 60-70% and when you picked her up her skin peeled away.
That's rough. I haven't had any really bad burns yet. I hope my first isn't a child. Eek. Then again, I hate any peds call.

frankunder

Forum Ride Along
Wow that's awful! I'm going to be sure to use the back burners from now on!!

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
After several minutes of thinking, my first call for EMT clinicals was the second in ambulance on an extremely minor TA with a driver looking to sue, and of course we stuck her on a backboard.

The first call I had as a paid EMT was a psych, PD on scene. Pt had been defecating in buckets and was stuffing water bottles down her shirt to "ease the pain." My job was to stand in front of the 3rd story balcony to prevent her from trying to jump. Boston PD removed her from the apartment and placed her in the ambulance, then left. We then when emergent to the hospital so that we wouldn't miss the start of a Bruins playoff game...

FiremedicSC

Forum Probie
My first call as a medic as a SVT that adenosine didnt convert. Had 30 seconds total transiet assystole. I was really hoping my partener would hurry up, I DID NOT want to cardiovert a talking patient. But all is well

Corey

Forum Probie
My first call was a traumatic full arrest stabbing, DOA.

-link removed-

Moderator's Edit:
Probably not a good idea to provide links like that to calls you've run. While this one may be no big deal, it also might invite your boss or EMS agency to check into HIPAA violations with regard to social media use.

Last edited by a moderator: