What now?

srcoen

Forum Crew Member
So, I am preparing to submit my first recertification/re-licensing, and am looking for ways to expand my experience/education. The department I volunteer with is a Regional HazMat department, and I’m told Hazmat certs don’t help me much in the way of education, but my employer (day job) has a specialized HazMat team for ammonia responses, and they have expressed interest in putting me on that team, for pretty much nothing more than medical team assistance. Just looking for wisdom/guidance from here. I’m not worried at all about my recertifications, as my department ensures that all my recertifications are dealt with, as long as I keep up with my hours. Paramedic is a thought, but I’d have to give up my day job and the insurance to go after my Medic, which isn’t really possible right now.

Thanks in advance for all the advice!!

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Srcoen, where are you headed career-wise? Have you considered education outside EMS?

I see from your profile that you're 40. I started to have issues with my back around 45. It might make sense for you to develop a plan B, even if your goal is to do rescue for the rest of your life.

OP
OP
S

srcoen

Forum Crew Member
I hold a BBA already, so next step in that direction is MBA, which again... quit day job. My back is sound thus far... last check from PCP revealed no issues... not even a sniffle aside from a chronic anemia condition I suffer from.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
next step in that direction is MBA, which again... quit day job

Not necessarily, can always go part time! Speaking of which, what about AEMT? Depending on what state you're in and how much vacation time you have, there's plenty of semi-distance learning options.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I hold a BBA already, so next step in that direction is MBA, which again... quit day job. My back is sound thus far... last check from PCP revealed no issues... not even a sniffle aside from a chronic anemia condition I suffer from.

So, you're saying you'd have to quit your day job to pursue either paramedic or MBA? Aren't their options to do the first at night and the second online?

Also, the thing about health is, you have it until you don't. I had no idea I was going to have to quit my job in the field until the day I had trouble kneeling to start an IV. It's great that you're healthy, and I hope you stay that way, but there are many among us who've had to leave clinical practice for health reasons after decades of relatively good health. I can only recommend that you have a backup plan.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I hold a BBA already, so next step in that direction is MBA, which again... quit day job.
I'm looking at my MBA too; but unless I find me a sugar momma on the side, or get a 6 figure inheritance from a long lost family member, I can't afford rent or food if I quit my job. Go part time, or online; it might suck, but at least you will have a job.
So, I am preparing to submit my first recertification/re-licensing, and am looking for ways to expand my experience/education. The department I volunteer with is a Regional HazMat department, and I’m told Hazmat certs don’t help me much in the way of education, but my employer (day job) has a specialized HazMat team for ammonia responses, and they have expressed interest in putting me on that team, for pretty much nothing more than medical team assistance. Just looking for wisdom/guidance from here. I’m not worried at all about my recertifications, as my department ensures that all my recertifications are dealt with, as long as I keep up with my hours. Paramedic is a thought, but I’d have to give up my day job and the insurance to go after my Medic, which isn’t really possible right now.

Thanks in advance for all the advice!!
So what do you want to do, and why? Are you a hazmat tech? are you a firefighter? you said you want to expand your education and interests, but in what areas? Do you want to do EMS, or are you looking at doing something else?

Do you want to be a medic? some programs have more flexible schedules, but being a paramedic will be a full time commitment, and it's hard to be a good part time paramedic if you don't have the full time experience previously.

Assuming you work for Merck or BMS or some other chemical company, if they have a hazmat team, and you are already a are a part of a regional hazmat department, why not look into getting on their hazmat team as a hazmat provider, and not just a medical person? It will be on addition to your full time job, so you wouldn't have to quit anything.

OP
OP
S

srcoen

Forum Crew Member
My initial certification, I went through Fire Fighter 1 Academy. Not a lot of CEU there beyond ICS Training, but it was good and showed me just how out of shape I am... lol... I was looking for something similar to do... rescue training, hazmat... maybe I should get my sorry butt in shape and get actually hired on... I dunno.

DrParasite

Not a lot of CEU there beyond ICS Training
So are you asking for creative CEU options? Because depending one your state, different classes could apply. PHTLS, AMLS, AHLS, PEARS, and many of the merit badge classes can be pretty useful, to expand your current knowledge (they don't replace a formal ALS program, but they give you some new tools to play with). Some states allow ICS, HazMat and Rescue classes to be used. others have different restrictions.

You can also just take anatomy and physiology 1 & 2 with lab at the local community college, and actually gain an understanding that will exceed EMT class and many of the paramedic courses that don't require an actually college level A&P class.

I think it goes back to my original questions: in what areas are you looking to actually expand your education?

OP
OP
S

srcoen

Forum Crew Member
I think it goes back to my original questions: in what areas are you looking to actually expand your education?

DrParasite... you are right. It does go back to your original question, and I really don’t have a good answer. I want to become more of an asset to my department, so that means either Rescue (Tech, confined space, trench, Swift water and the like), or HazMat. I have been working either with or around hazardous materials my whole life, so that would be an easy answer... there is also Paramedic, however, and a lot of the career guys in my department have gotten their gold patches, but apparently think they are above standby duty, so if I got my gold patch, my department wouldn’t have to sweat standbys at all... I could handle 90 percent of them that come up no sweat. I have also been asked about doing Instructor class... I’m getting pulled in so many directions I just don’t have a clue where to concentrate my time and effort.

DrParasite

I would suggest asking your department's leadership where they think you could be most beneficial.

since you are on a FIRE department, I would suggest getting your basic FIRE training completed, so you meet the minimum career standards for an interior firefighter. Since your department is a regional HAZMAT department, I would look at completing the requirements for HAZMAT Technician, or whatever your department requires to be on the team.

If your agency does rescue as well, then obtain your rescue education.

Obtaining your paramedic might be helpful, however since you are on a combination department, it's likely you have several FF/PM on duty at all times, so your time might be better suited elsewhere, on calls where large numbers of highly trained personnel might be needed (such as major fires or hazmat incidents). Nothing against becoming a paramedic, but if you will only do it part time, making the commitment for a year or two might not be the best use of your time.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I actually like everything @DrParasite said, but wanted to quote this particular line and add...
I would suggest asking your department's leadership where they think you could be most beneficial.

Talk with leadership/management and come up with a training plan and career path. It sounds like you're dedicated to them and are willing to learn new skills. Both of which benefits them in the long run. Doing so will give you an idea of what courses to take now and annually to get the required CEUs.

OP
OP
S

srcoen

Forum Crew Member
Thank you all for your wisdom and guidance. I have spoken with leadership at many levels, and it was agreed I should fit test for a paid spot.

DrParasite

If you don't mind me asking, how did you come to that conclusion? I'm not saying don't do it (I work PT on a combination department myself, in addition to an office job), but do you want to try to become a paid full time firefighter?

don't get me wrong, it's a great job, and a day on a fire engine will beat a day in the office almost anytime.

But there are also downsides: shiftwork does get old, and working nights get old, and is dangerous to your health. statistically you have a higher risk of contracting cancer simply by being a firefighter, many in the fire service still have no formal education higher than a HS diploma, some departments don't pay you or pay you less during night shifts when you are sleeping if there are no calls, and you can feel like you are always working, especially if you end up taking mandatory training that occur on days you aren't scheduled to work (and some places don't pay you for training that are 100% job relevant). And you can usually make more money in the private sector, especially with a bachelors degree in business.

It's a great job, I know many people who are very happy working as firefighters; and I know several people who are either counting the days until they can retire, as well as several former officers who left for jobs in the private sector (including one who left to work at Home Depot; he traded in his turnout gear for an orange apron).

You came here asking for where you can take continuing education classes, and less than a week later, you are looking to quit your job and change careers (at least that is what took your last post to say your intentions were)

If you are bored, and looking for something new to do, I would recommend looking into these classes at TEEX

or if you can get time off from work, anything from The Center for Domestic Prepardness: They have a firefighter tract and a HazMat Tract. I completed my HazMat Technician training in Alabama at the CDP.

You can also go to the Nevada Test Site’s Counter Terrorism Operations Support Program (NTS/CTOS), or anything else that the National Domestic Preparedness Consortium (NDPC) runs.

Like I said before, if this is what you want to do, awesome. Life is way too short to spend doing a job you don't enjoy. But don't give up on a promising career without knowing both sides to the new job.

Feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss it more

OP
OP
S

srcoen

Forum Crew Member
DrParasite —

I tried to PM, but was informed I do not have permission, so hang on... this one is gonna be a bit lengthy.

I attained my initial certification in EMS while living in Guymon, OK, so I applied and was accepted into the Guymon Fire Department’s EMS division as a volunteer. A year later, my wife and I had to move to accommodate some siblings of our then-foster kiddos... to a little town ten miles away... Goodwell, OK. I then became affiliated not only with Guymon, but also Goodwell, to help them out of a jam that Goodwell EMS was in. I was affiliated with Goodwell EMS until one of the members that drove the truck on my runs decided to bring her best friend, and her fiancée on one of my runs... then she and her best friend decided it would be great practice to ignore the licensee and do their own damn thing with the patient rep sitting beside me, the fuming licensee who wasn’t allowed to do one goddamn thing that day... I tried for months to talk to someone, and finally ended up speaking with my Director in Guymon, who basically told me it would be my license if it ever went to court, and I decided to put myself basically in the background of Goodwell to save what was left of my license. Couple of months later, I get a letter from the chick that railroaded my *** accusing me of deriliction of duty leaving the town uncovered on two occasions, which did NOT happen, but that is apparently not the case according to this chick, because she didn’t ask any of the other EMTs before sending me that letter. I sent a copy to my Director/Chief in Guymon, and he told me to gather my Goodwell equipment up, turn it in, and get out— they were more of a curse than a blessing at that point. I went completely Guymon, and have not had initial contact with a patient since January of this year... not once. All I do now is get patients from the ER to another ER up to two hours away, after the patient has been poked and prodded six ways to Sunday, so all I do for assessment is basically confirm what is already in the record.

Anyway, promising career?? I threw that away four years ago when I disqualified myself to get away from a verbally abusive supervisor. I am simply marking time until either I go to Medic School or quit to go FT at the FD. I already have passed the written FF1 test... just gotta retake a couple skills... and all the chiefs agree I would be a good fit. I don’t necessarily love fire, but I can be friends with it... besides, Guymon is really an EMS based Fire Department... they do way more EMS than putting fires out.

I am considering what you have suggested, and am excited about all the computer-based stuff out there...

Thanks!!

DrParasite

Sounds like Goodwell EMS is a complete ****show, and your director was right in telling you to get out when you did...in fact, if I had been in your position, I probably would have turned in all my stuff after that incident you describe. I did the same thing you did several years ago; after trying to stick with it, and after working professionally in EMS for years, I quit in disgust. a year later, I received a text from the captain (who was a friend of mine), saying I was right about my issues with the organization, and once they were able to convince the old timer who was harassing me to go, things were on the right track to improve.
I went completely Guymon, and have not had initial contact with a patient since January of this year... not once. All I do now is get patients from the ER to another ER up to two hours away, after the patient has been poked and prodded six ways to Sunday, so all I do for assessment is basically confirm what is already in the record.
why aren't you able to do assessments with Guymon? Are you able to do shifts with the career staff, and ride out on the first due units? Basicly, to get a feel about what they do day in and day out
Anyway, promising career?? I threw that away four years ago when I disqualified myself to get away from a verbally abusive supervisor. I am simply marking time until either I go to Medic School or quit to go FT at the FD.
Well, that sucks about your current career. I'd quit once you get the job offer at the FD; then let them send you to medic school.
I am considering what you have suggested, and am excited about all the computer-based stuff out there...

Thanks!!
Remember, any DHS-sponsored class ran through the NDPC is all expense paid; they will fly you to alabama, las vegas, new mexico, maryland, or where ever the course is held, pay for all your food, lodging, etc. If you got PTO to burn, and want to try something different (and meet people from all over), than I highly encourage it.

Good luck!