What is the difference between a "Certificate" and a "Degree" with regards to employment?

DrNo

Forum Probie
The fire department that I want to work for says on it's website that it requires a state-level certification in order to work there as a paramedic. However, the school that I want to go to for paramedic education offers both a "Certificate of Proficiency" and an "Associate of Applied Science (A.S.)" for paramedic. If I did the latter, could or would the fire department deny me in my application due to this?

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
A certificate is not a degree, and does not necessarily include any college credits. The degree you mentioned almost certainly includes paramedic certification. You could double-check with them.

Eir

Forum Probie
My school does this. The degree program consists of the certificate program with carefully-selected general studies classes added on. But certainly be clear on what you're getting before giving away your money.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
could or would the fire department deny me in my application due to this?
wouldn't this question be better directed to the fire department you want to work for?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I agree with DrParasite... your question would be (likely) best addressed by the Fire Department you want to work for.

Typically a Certificate of Proficiency is part and parcel of a degree program of the same type. If a school offers both, the "Certificate of Proficiency" means you've completed the training to an acceptable level. Being awarded an AAS means you've not only completed the stuff required for the "Certificate of Proficiency" but you've also completed additional general education requirements to allow them to award/grant you an actual educational degree. In terms of actual classwork, the AAS usually just means you've take a few "extra" courses and isn't as "complete" an education as you would receive by taking the coursework necessary for a regular Associate of Science degree. The course differences between an AAS and an AS is usually relatively minor and you usually only need to take a couple more courses to qualify for the AS vs AAS.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
Certificate is completion of a Paramedic Program. Degree is completion of a paramedic program (certificate) and some additional courses to earn a degree. If you can easily afford it without loans, more education is almost always better.