Vest

SkiPatrol

Forum Probie
I'm a ski patrol in the canadian rockies. I now use a back pack to carry my first responder gear and a harness for my radio. By the end of the day it gets kinda heavy and it pushes me farther forward on the chair lift seat than I care to be. I'm thinking of buying vest that I can wear under my patrol jacket.

Any advice on vest features etc....

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Try it before you buy it, if you can.

Loading a vest can be a whole new experience.
I used to use a NATO rucksack and front-sling it when I needed my back free or had more stuff to hump on my back. (EYEgore, not EEEGore).
Also consider like a fishing or tool vest, plus a waist pack you could take off and sling like a bandolier.
And, of course, cut to the chase and ditch those items you are not using.

OP
OP
S

SkiPatrol

Forum Probie
It never ceases to amaze me how gear can accumulate in a pack....the fishing vest might be a lower cost solution.

Thanks!

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Look into the Scott Vest stuff, it's expensive, but they cram a lot of pockets in one item.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
What sorts of things are you trying to carry? I assume BP, steth, BVM, OPA, NPA and splinting?

mycrofft

Fishing vest may be your "try it out" piece

A tool vest will be stronger, but a used fishing or camera vest could be your way to judge it before you plunge in and buy a MOLE system or whatever.
Consider if you will need to wear it over your outerwear, or under your outer shell but over your parka, or under everthing. Size will vary.
Consider Duluth Trading:http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/products/69091.aspx
google "TOOL VEST".
Oh, and if you don't already know, avoid mesh if you can.
PPS: Unitized medical supplies in thier little boxes can seemingly save space, but their quality can be poor. Again, try 'em out before you plunge in.

Last edited by a moderator:

flhtci01

Forum Captain
I normally wear a vest while patrolling. When I ski out of bounds I also have a backpack. The vest is for things that I normally need access such as 4x4, cravats, bandaids, gloves and other barriers.

I would suggest something with pockets that are accessible. A large pocket in back is handy to keep paperwork and cardboard splints that are not needed immediately. Also consider something with loops or similar that you can clip carbiners of tape or CPR mask.

There are a number of companies that have vests for a reasonable price. I have used mine for 15 years (last 7 on a daily basis).

OP
OP
S

SkiPatrol

Forum Probie
Skiing out of bounds?? :)

Thanks for the advice...can you reach around behind your vest to get at paper work or a SAM splint??

OP
OP
S

SkiPatrol

Forum Probie
I wish...radio, gloves, SAM Splints, dressings and bandages...the rest is either in the toboggan or comes when I call.

flhtci01

Forum Captain
Skiing out of bounds?? :)

Thanks for the advice...can you reach around behind your vest to get at paper work or a SAM splint??

Back country / anything outside the area's ropes. :)

I can reach them but usually have to feel around for the ziplock bag with the paperwork or the splint.

OP
OP
S

SkiPatrol

Forum Probie
We've been going since Nov 15 and we just closed our hill down this weekend...still lots of snow but no skiers. All out golfing. I patrol on the eastern side of the rockies...half the hill is above the treeline and everything above the tree line is an avalanche slope so we have a pretty active Avalanche Control team. We get real excited about folks skiing out of bounds but still on our lease.

Who made your vest??

Fedekz

Forum Probie
I'm a ski patrol in the canadian rockies. I now use a back pack to carry my first responder gear and a harness for my radio. By the end of the day it gets kinda heavy and it pushes me farther forward on the chair lift seat than I care to be. I'm thinking of buying vest that I can wear under my patrol jacket.

Any advice on vest features etc....

Hey, I'm a ski patroller in Washington State. We use a Swizler (ugh, I can never spell it ... Its swizler or swishler, swizer or something weird like that - it will show up in goggle at the top when you got it right) vest. They are awesome - they carry our chair evac rope in the back, it uses the entire back of the vest to hold the rope, where most I see just use a small pouch on the lower half. Then in the front it is similair to a Swat vest (same design), it has tons of pouches. All in all we just upgraded to that vest, and I haven't heard a single complaint about them. They look awesome too.

flhtci01

Forum Captain
My vest was sold by the NSP years ago, it was probably closest to the style that Ski Area SUpply sells. Most patrollers prefer to have the radio holder on their vest. Due to a number of factors I prefer to wear mine in an inside vest pocket using an earpiece and remote mike.

Here are some of the suppliers that our patrollers use:

http://www.mountainouterwear.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=D50000-1155766337

http://www.skiareasupplies.com/patrol_skivest.htm

http://shop.cascadetoboggan.com/cas...areunbelievable-andthebestpartyouwontbel.aspx

BTW Which area do you patrol? I've skied Red and Whitewater. We have a patroller that came from Canyon.

mycrofft

A thought aside...

We may relatively few ladies in EMTLIFE, but I wonder if they have special concerns in gear carriage, there being anatomic factors to accomodate either way (they have anterior features to consider, males have less hips to support loads).

OP
OP
S

SkiPatrol

Forum Probie
The sites look good...
I patrol at Marmot Basin just outside of Jasper Alberta.... http://skimarmot.com The pro patrol is there everyday but I patrol with the Canadian Ski Patrol. We have a contract to provide service on weekends. I'm up every other weekend. We don't get paid although we do get a free lift ticket for every day we patrol and the hill buys us lunch. It's a great group of people and a lot of fun.....although this far north it does get kinda cold. I've been patrolling for 11 years, six at Marmot.

Where do you Patrol??