Vegan EMS boots

Darteous

Forum Ride Along
I'm a vegan getting into EMS, are there any suggestions on suitable boots that meet both standards?

Summit

Critical Crazy
Don't eat your boots and buy something synthetic?

OP
OP
Darteous

Darteous

Forum Ride Along
Plant based dieters are all about what they eat. Vegans care about harm caused by anything they eat/use/purchase whatnot. And yes I'm looking for something synthetic. Most of the boots I've found are part leather. Was curious if anyone had any advice as vegan options are often not popular brands so I'm not sure if they'll be any good. And being as the vegan ones I'm finding are all like $200 I don't want to pick a pair that's not very goodand have to get another pair.

Summit

Critical Crazy
You want a specialty design that doesn't use one of the most durable and common materials for ideological reasons, so yea $200 might be right... or just get a pair of synthetic waterproof trail runners. I never felt like I needed boots on the ambo anyway.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
While I don't know of anything helpful for your search, we do have a guy at my service who has two bumper stickers on his car that say "only *******s eat meat" however, he wears all leather boots. He is also the biggest hypocrite I know. If you're that hardcore into it I think you will find a tough time finding a boot that doesn't encompass some sort of leather into the boot. I also agree that you could likely get away with a trail running type shoe....

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Good luck in your search.
If you intend to be part of EMS, please be aware that most people will not share your ideology. If you want to be happy doing this, make sure that you don't attempt to impose your values on those you work with... It will not bode well for you. This means that you will be working with leather-wearing, meat-eating people and you will have to deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I bought a $100 pair of under armours and they have lasted for a year and a half so far and are still going strong (I wear them about 6 days a week right now, so they get used A LOT). A $200 pair should last you a while. My boots might actually be fully synthetic, so check that brand out and see what they have.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
I bought a $100 pair of under armours and they have lasted for a year and a half so far and are still going strong (I wear them about 6 days a week right now, so they get used A LOT). A $200 pair should last you a while. My boots might actually be fully synthetic, so check that brand out and see what they have.

I agree that Underarmour is probably your best bet. All of their products seems to be synthetic (though less durable than the competition).

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I agree that Underarmour is probably your best bet. All of their products seems to be synthetic (though less durable than the competition).
I don't know about all their boots, but mine have held up to a year and a half of heavy use.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
image.jpeg

Do vegan boots come with real imitation leather sent? Asking for a friend.

res1551cue

Forum Crew Member
You can always use the resources on this site. http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/leather.php#work

Problem is with synthetic and dealing with blood and other fluids you may need to replace them more often than leather as leather is one of the most durable materials out there that can protect you as a BSI. Also they are much easier to clean.

Hope this helps.

cityhalltoken76

Forum Ride Along
I signed up with EMT Life for the sole purpose of responding to this post.

I am firefighter/EMT basic, female and a vegan.

I just wanted to extend my support to you. I hope the jerks on this page with unhelpful sarcasm and meat/fur comments get "quiet" shifts for weeks. I also am upset at those in leadership positions that instead answering your question simply hypocritally stated not to impose your beliefs on others even though they took the time to write a comment imposing their beliefs; as well ignoring all the other commenters basically ridiculing you for your beliefs.

Incredible. The ignorance and hypocrisy is astounding.

I also want to mention that many are topically allergic to leather so there is a demand for non leather boots. A quick search for "non leather ems boot" combat boots and hiking boots come up. My problem is finding female style combat boots, non leather.

I found this post because I am also looking for mid calf style ems boots, cruelty free.

I hope for the both of us we get an actual answer. Stay strong.

Last edited:

Summit

Critical Crazy
I am firefighter/EMT basic, female and a vegan.

jerks... unhelpful sarcasm... meat/fur comments... "quiet" shifts for weeks.... I also am upset... hypocritally... impose your beliefs on others... imposing their beliefs... ignoring... ridiculing... Incredible.... The ignorance and hypocrisy is astounding

So how is that judgmental reactionary thin skin victim persona working out for you in the fire service? Winning friends and influencing people?

I also want to mention that many are topically allergic to leather
To leather itself? No.
However there are RARE dermatitis rxns to some of the treating agents in leather.

Last edited:

VentMonkey

Family Guy
My wife and I are both meat eaters, and are convinced our 6 year old is some sort of vegetarian. She loves her fruits and veggies, and winces in disgust over most types of meats and poultry over her beloved ruffage.

I may not be able to tell you the types different of vegetarianism, but I do know regardless, her meat-eating parents love her to death.

Regarding the original topic, I never realized this was such a thing. I will say, it hardly seems like something to get so bent out of shape about, particularly if it's the sole reason you joined the forum:).

You must work at one very open-minded fire station. Most in-house fire culture that I have seen or been around is to say the least, primitive?

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I just wanted to extend my support to you. I hope the jerks on this page with unhelpful sarcasm and meat/fur comments get "quiet" shifts for weeks. I also am upset at those in leadership positions that instead answering your question simply hypocritally stated not to impose your beliefs on others even though they took the time to write a comment imposing their beliefs; as well ignoring all the other commenters basically ridiculing you for your beliefs.

Incredible. The ignorance and hypocrisy is astounding.

So do you refuse to take gel cap medications? Or transport a patient on a Heparin drip? Just curious...