UC Health EMS in Fort Collins

tmb301

Forum Ride Along
Hi all,

I'm an EMT and looking at applying for UC Health EMS in Fort Collins, but wanted more info on what it is like to live and work in that area. I've seen some threads on here about this area, but most of them are before UC Health took over the ambulance service.

What are the shifts like? Pay? Relationship with Fire? Will they fund paramedic school? And are there any paramedic programs in Fort Collins or would I have to commute to Denver?

Thanks!

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I applied there last year for a paramedic position and got an offer. They low balled my starting pay and despite some negotiation, could not match my Colorado Springs area pay. I was disappointed. Fort Collins is an awesome city and the system seems pretty excellent, but it's expensive place to live. Sub 50k for medics is unfortunate.

Here's what I learned: They have very involved and capable clinical leadership with above average guidelines. They cover a huge swath of Larimer County so there is the opportunity to run all over the place even being on a "street car," which is 12 hour shifts posted without stations though :)/). NIce equipment and good benefits as well. Fire is currently all BLS and only recently allowed their folks to carry IV equipment.

Their "Division Five" covers several fire districts in Weld County (not contiguous to the Larimer service area), those shifts are 48/96. I believe there is at least one shift in Wellington that is also 48/96. They certainly do their fair share of transfers as well, they have a 24 hour ALS car at the new UCHealth facility in Longmont and possibly some CCT as well although UCHealth has really changed up CCT statewide in the last year.

UCHealth has a tuition reimbursement program for all employees but I do not know how that works. The closest medic program is in Greeley at Aims Community College, I don't really know much about it.