Type 1 diabetes and working in EMS.

benfis

Forum Ride Along
Hello Everyone, I am a type 1 diabetic currently using a insulin pump. I am about to finish EMT-B school. Does anyone have any advice (does and donts) about working as a EMT with diabetes? Any help would be much appreciative.

Thanks

kurtemt

Forum Probie
I dont think you really have to do anything more then you would do in your regular day to day life with type 1 diabetes. Just remember you will be spending alot of time sitting and waiting. Just make sure that you ALWAYS have some source of sugar since you are on an insulin pump. (candy or pixie sticks are great)

best of luck

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hello Everyone, I am a type 1 diabetic currently using a insulin pump. I am about to finish EMT-B school. Does anyone have any advice (does and donts) about working as a EMT with diabetes? Any help would be much appreciative.

Thanks

Congratulations on almost finishing EMT class. You shouldn't have many problems, as long as you take care of yourself and your sugars. One of my partners is a well controlled type 1, and he keeps sugar and carbs with him (more than expected). Some employers may worry about your fitness for duty, so consider being prepared with a letter from your endocrinologist, with his or her stamp of approval. You shouldn't undertake long shifts without a stable A1c, good glycemic control, and good plans for when things go wrong.

Good luck!