Troopers Miss Man's Body At Crash Scene

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Troopers Miss Man's Body At Crash Scene

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- The Florida Highway Patrol is investigating a fatal traffic crash in which the body of the victim wasn't discovered until the next day by his girlfriend.

The crash happened Monday night on the Interstate 95 off-ramp to Oakland Park Boulevard. Delvin Lewis, 29, was killed when the car he was driving slammed into the guardrail.

FHP troopers found a car Tuesday that they thought was an abandoned vehicle. Later that day, the driver's girlfriend spotted the damaged guardrail as she exited the highway, stopped to check and found Lewis' body.

"She came back out here because nobody had heard from him, so when she came back, she saw the body over there. That's when she called," said James Habersham, Lewis' uncle.

Read more!

spinnakr

Forum Lieutenant
Somebody is going to get seriously chewed out / fired / sued over this (or any combination thereof!)

MedicSqrl

Forum Crew Member
I think FHP is going to get away with this one. There are alot of abandoned cars in FL. If he wasn't in the immediate area then there is no reason the trooper to suspect there is still a person there. The article made it seem that he was ejected pretty far. I would venture to opinion that he wasn't wearing his seatbelt either.

reaper

Working Bum
Don't see a problem there. Happens all the time. The body was found 300 ft from the car and behind a wall. If FHP thought it was an abandoned vehicle, they are not walking the interstate, looking for bodies.

zmedic

Forum Captain
I don't know, I feel that an "abandoned" car that has damage should be treated as a possible crash. The car must have been banged up if he hit something hard enough to get ejected.

reaper

Working Bum
They are found like that, all over the interstate. Someone wrecks into a guardrail and runs off, before LEO shows up. Maybe they are drunk, maybe wanted, or maybe illegal. FHP would spend hours walking the interstate for every abandoned car they come across.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Well maybe they should do more investigation if the car hood is still warm.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
The guys girlfriend could find him but the police,fire and EMS departments couldnt.

Maybe further investgation was warranted, I agree 300 ft is a long way, cripe its a football field.

Maybe he wandered off from the accident scene and succomb to his injuries behind the wall.

Last edited by a moderator:

reaper

Working Bum
Fire and EMS were probably never called. If FHP thought it was abandoned, they would just call a wrecker.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
The FD could use their TIC to scan the area. We do it all the time on MVA's.

Perhaps if there are so many abandoned cars in the area, the police could use TIC's for the same purpose.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
As for someone who lives in Florida, near an interstate, and who travels a 8 mile stretch frequently, I can attest to the fact that there are always vehicles off on the side of the road, and at least half the time they are abandoned.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I can see both sides here.

For one, yes, I can remember when I was living in FL tons of abandoned cars on the roads and just about every where else. The trooper is going to search the immidiate area and 300 feet is a loooooong way for someone to fly. And assuming the rig is on the side of the road and all you have to search is a half circle with a radius of 300 feet extending away from the road, you have to search 141,372 square feet. And I'm pretty sure it is not all open area with short grass.

Also, I have never used one, but wouldn't all the background heat in a city kind of wash out a TIC?

On the other hand, the force required to eject someone over 300 feet would be tremendous. I mean, the rig would probably look like it got dropped out of an airplane. That could be a clue that the person, if ejected, might be a ways out there.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Plus it said that he hit the guard rail Monday, and it was later that the police stopped, how long does it take for a body to cool down so that the TIC doesn't work; and I don't think that they have a 300' range.

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
Also, I have never used one, but wouldn't all the background heat in a city kind of wash out a TIC?
Absolutely not. You know those cop TV shows where they have the camera's on the helicopters following the suspect? Yeah, those there Thermal Imaging Camera's. They only show on what they are pointed towards.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Im guessing just because something is a frequent occurence doesnt give us the right to blow off the possibilty.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Love the monday morning QBs.
So, we call in an aircraft, and use TICs for every single abandoned vehicle?
No one here works for FHP.
They made the call.

reaper

Working Bum
Im guessing just because something is a frequent occurence doesnt give us the right to blow off the possibilty.

So your volunteering for the job? Start walking the interstates!:rolleyes:

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
So your volunteering for the job? Start walking the interstates!:rolleyes:

Maybe enlight of recent events that may be something you may want to consider.

You have a lot of water in Florida also you dont blow off an overturned boat do you?

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Maybe enlight of recent events that may be something you may want to consider.

You have a lot of water in Florida also you dont blow off an overturned boat do you?

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!
We also have a LOT of sunken boats. Wanna go dive each one?
Send a full water rescue assignment to each one?
Get real.....

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Anyway...