Treating people with dwarfism

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I've never encountered this situation... but I'm really curious. What are normal vitals for a little person? Can you use an AED... if so... what pads? Are there any special considerations as far as immobilization?

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
neither have i, but i can take a crack at your questions:

1: havent the foggiest idea, but would be interested in the answer

2a: without a doubt
2b: the aha, to the best of my knowledge(i have been an instructor fo r4 years), has never specifically covered this issue in any of its classroom literature since i started teaching. i personally would handle it much like i would determining whether to use pedi pads or adult pads on a 7 year old. if its a particularly monstorous 7 year old, one might be inclined to use the adult pads, since they are really the size of an 8 year old(or bigger etc). thus, the reverse is true. what if and 8 year old is tiny, very underdeveloped. he gets pedi pads.your dwarf will probably buy some adult pads, assuming they dont overlap etc.

3: consider putting two patients on one backboardif its an mci....

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I actually have encountered this many years ago when I had a Dwarf that was in cardiac arrest. The Intermediates questioned if they could use an EOA due to the size? Dwarfism is a genetic disorder where the parts of the body are normal such as head and hands, feet. Where as midget is proportionally small.

Like all patients treat according to age development and size.

R/r 911

OP
OP
LucidResq

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Anyone have any idea of differences in vitals? I would think that their vitals would resemble those of a child of similar size... but I imagine there may some differences due to age.

Thanks for all the great responses by the way! This has been the "hm?" question on my mind for a couple of weeks.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I would be interested to see those stats as well. It's my understanding and I may be wrong, that dwarfism is a condition affecting the long bones only. That is why head, hands, rib cage and torso etc remain full sized. To me, that would mean that the internal organs, and vital signs should be the same as an average size adult. But, I'm theorizing only and have nothing official to base it on.

OP
OP
LucidResq

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Well I emailed the medical resource center of Little People of America to see if they have any information on the subject. I'll let you know if they respond.

BossyCow... I believe you're correct about the extremities alone being affected in most cases of dwarfism, but I think there are other forms of the disease that affect the entire body. It does make sense that those with "traditional" dwarfism would have adult vitals though, perhaps with a slightly lower blood pressure because their heart wouldn't have to pump blood as far as it would in an adult with longer arms and legs? I'm not really sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Dwarfism can be caused by several factors. Hormonal, pituitary disorders, or a disorder called Hanhart syndrome type IV. This a rare disorder where a genetic error of amino acid metabolism results in thickened skin on palms and soles, skin lumps, mental retardation and finger, toe, eye, hair and teeth abnormalities.

R/r 911

SwissEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Like all patients treat according to age development and size.

R/r 911

But isn't that the underlying issue here? The age/size ratio is disproportionate.
On top of that, I'd be curious to find out if liver and renal function are affected by this disorder.

Rid, did you get the code back?