Treating a popped knee

Limes

Forum Crew Member
A coworker slipped and popped her knee. I gave her a hotpack and it she said it felt much better.

But when she was brough to the hospital, the people there (I assume the doctors) gave her a weird look (hot pack on the popped knee), and gave her ice instead.

My logic was that if they could pop it back in, then it would be easier with heat because the muscles are relaxed, as ice would tense up the muscles.

Am I wrong for putting a heat pack? Why was she given ice instead? Thanks!

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Heat promotes circulation, which increases swelling, which is not ideal. You can guess what ice (theoretically does). The science is still kind of out on whether or not cryotherapy.

Kevinf

Forum Captain
After I hyperextended my ankle awhile back, cold therapy made the pain and swelling worse and stiffened the joint. A hot pack and soak provided drastic relief and minimized the swelling and I got significant range of motion back. To quote the rednecks, "If it looks stupid, but it works, it ain't stupid."

By the same line of thought, heat promotes circulation which allows excess fluid to be drawn back away from the area, whereas cold may slow the process. If I injure a joint that way again in the future, personally, I'm going for the hot pack.

OP
OP
Limes

Limes

Forum Crew Member
After I hyperextended my ankle awhile back, cold therapy made the pain and swelling worse and stiffened the joint. A hot pack and soak provided drastic relief and minimized the swelling and I got significant range of motion back. To quote the rednecks, "If it looks stupid, but it works, it ain't stupid."

By the same line of thought, heat promotes circulation which allows excess fluid to be drawn back away from the area, whereas cold may slow the process. If I injure a joint that way again in the future, personally, I'm going for the hot pack.

My supervisor, who was there at the time, also popped his shoulder a while back and wanted a hot pack instead of a cold pack.

With that said, if swelling/inflammation is already visible, would it be wise at this point to put ice instead of heat?

Kevinf

Forum Captain
You are unlikely to do any damage with a cold or hot pack, so go with whatever relieves pain better. Unless you've got a protocol specifically tailored to this situation... Pennsylvania does not so it'd be provider/patient discretion.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
8 years of playing baseball have taught me ice and ibproufin. I've never dislocated a joint, but have broken my wrists a time or two. As far as the difference between ice or heat I go both ways. Ice and ibproufin always works for me as does a soak in the hot tub.

ThePants

Forum Crew Member
I've been told that cold treats an immediate injury, while heat is used to treat an ongoing issue. That being from multiple injuries I've sustained myself, and the doc's advice for those. For interventions, I have to use cold packs which are what is supplied on my engines.

OP
OP
Limes

Limes

Forum Crew Member
I've been told that cold treats an immediate injury, while heat is used to treat an ongoing issue. That being from multiple injuries I've sustained myself, and the doc's advice for those. For interventions, I have to use cold packs which are what is supplied on my engines.
It makes sense though, immediately after an injury like a dislocation, swelling and inflammation may occur and so ice would be the better option. I didn't notice any swelling or inflammation for my coworker's knee at the time.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
8 years of playing baseball have taught me ice and ibproufin. I've never dislocated a joint, but have broken my wrists a time or two. As far as the difference between ice or heat I go both ways. Ice and ibproufin always works for me as does a soak in the hot tub.
*ibuprofen ;)

When my neck, back or shoulder act up I prefer heat. Granted I'm a 26 year old trapped in a 70 year old's body with all the things I've done to myself.

I've always been told by my orthopedic surgeon that ice is ideal for the initial injury then do whatever feels better after they initial insult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

A heat pack will promote inflammation.

Before EMS I was a student trainer for a college hockey program. Heat is not a good initial treatment for orthopedic injuries.

OP
OP
Limes

Limes

Forum Crew Member
A heat pack will promote inflammation.

Before EMS I was a student trainer for a college hockey program. Heat is not a good initial treatment for orthopedic injuries.

If a heat pack was all you got at the time, would it be wise to hold it off until you got something cold OR would you still give it to the patient to relieve the pain? Also, If there's already inflammation, would holding off the hot pack be more wise than putting it on?

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Like he stated previously, heat promotes circulation. If the injury is still fresh why use something that could cause even more swelling? I would hold off on the heat pack, if I don't have ice then just a position of comfort. No need to cause any additional swelling to the swelling that you already have.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If a heat pack was all you got at the time, would it be wise to hold it off until you got something cold OR would you still give it to the patient to relieve the pain? Also, If there's already inflammation, would holding off the hot pack be more wise than putting it on?
Truly it's not going to make a significant difference. But no, I would not use a hot pack on any sort of fresh injury.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
Cold is preferred for the first 24-48 hours (for the reasons mentioned), then it is either heat or cold, whichever makes it feel better.